Apparently the one-percenters at the Davos economic summit are all carrying around two smartphones: Blackberry and iPhone 6. Blackberry should make a new Blackberry that doubles as an iPhone 6 case. Not just a keyboard like a Typo but an actually fully-functional BB10 smartphone. Slide out the keyboard from the back, Palm Pre style, and the screen switches immediately to BB10 mode by launching a full-screen app.

Tell me they wouldn't sell a ton of these. Keyboard? You got it. App gap? Eliminated. Your company IT dept? They are on board.
    01-23-15 07:53 AM
    Pretty sure you would end up with a pretty big BRICK of a device that no one would want to hold....

And I think you are kinda missing the point of the article...
    01-23-15 08:15 AM
    Pretty sure you would end up with a pretty big BRICK of a device that no one would want to hold....
    Would it be as big as a Passport? You could stack two iPhone 6's together and it would be easier to hold than a Passport. The case would not need a screen and might not even need a battery although there would be plenty of room for one.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-23-15 at 08:30 AM.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    01-23-15 08:19 AM
    I would prefer an extra full screen on the back of passport without a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 10:47 AM
    Well, that wouldn't make as much sense, now, would it? First, it would have to be an iOS device made by Apple. Second, the target market would be the small number of Passport owners. I think you would agree that that would be ridiculous.

However, Blackberry can make whatever BB10 devices it wants and what better target market than iPhone users? It takes advantage of the two main Blackberry strengths: 1) The keyboard; 2) Device security. IT departments could configure it like any other Blackberry.
    01-23-15 10:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Interesting idea for future innovations. If BlackBerry doesn't do it then I don't know who would. They obviously don't want a reputation for developing goofy devices (though they probably already have that more than any other manufacturer). It would be too expensive (and bulky, not to mention batteries aren't good enough) to do it right now but I could see it happening down the road...

Think about when flip phones started including dual screens - it was brilliant to have a smaller screen on the front for notifications. BlackBerry could bring it to the next level. Yotaphone is trying something similar only the back of their screen is e-ink or whatever it is used on e-readers as it takes barely any battery to power the second screen. I could see it in the future.

A Classic (or 'Q') style front with and all-touch "Z" style back. They could call it the BlackBerry Mullet: "Business at the front and party in the back!"

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    neoberry99 likes this.
    01-23-15 11:25 AM
    Interesting idea for future innovations. If BlackBerry doesn't do it then I don't know who would. They obviously don't want a reputation for developing goofy devices (though they probably already have that more than any other manufacturer). It would be too expensive (and bulky, not to mention batteries aren't good enough) to do it right now but I could see it happening down the road...

Think about when flip phones started including dual screens - it was brilliant to have a smaller screen on the front for notifications. BlackBerry could bring it to the next level. Yotaphone is trying something similar only the back of their screen is e-ink or whatever it is used on e-readers as it takes barely any battery to power the second screen. I could see it in the future.

A Classic (or 'Q') style front with and all-touch "Z" style back. They could call it the BlackBerry Mullet: "Business at the front and party in the back!"

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    popSlate and InkCase come to mind as well.
    01-24-15 11:41 AM
    This would be a lot of fun. The ip4 round fit right onto the back of a z10 case and wouldn't cover up the camera.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:56 AM
    Out2lunch
    01-24-15 06:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Something like Yotaphone?
    01-24-15 06:47 PM
    BlackBerry should just make an iOS runtime to go with the android one, and let people figure out ways to hook back into the app store and their apple accounts, like they have for Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 06:53 PM
    BlackBerry should just make an iOS runtime to go with the android one, and let people figure out ways to hook back into the app store and their apple accounts, like they have for Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    App neutrality?
    01-24-15 07:23 PM

And I think you are kinda missing the point of the article...
    People already hold iPhones with Mophie Juice Packs, so why not? I'd opt to carry one thick device instead of two separate devices.
    01-24-15 07:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry ever tried this they would be sued incredibly fast. Android is open source, iOS is not.
    01-24-15 07:33 PM
    If BlackBerry ever tried this they would be sued incredibly fast. Android is open source, iOS is not.
    Yeah I know...was kind of kidding...but what if they could do some kind of deal for a runtime similar to Apple CarPlay (running on top of QNX), but the iphone in this case communicates to the BlackBerry via bluetooth i.e. never needs to come out?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:52 PM
    Yeah I know...was kind of kidding...but what if they could do some kind of deal for a runtime similar to Apple CarPlay (running on top of QNX), but the iphone in this case communicates to the BlackBerry via bluetooth i.e. never needs to come out?

Posted via CB10
    They would probably have to pay Apple some serious money for that. The type of money that would put BB out of business or in a really deep hole.

It's a nice idea though. I do however think a BlackBerry device that connects to an iPhone would be the more realistic option.
    01-25-15 08:43 AM