I am interested to know how a 8520 uses the wi-fi connection in case the Blackberry HAS an active data plan.

Thank you
    02-21-11 06:01 PM
    what do you mean how does it use WI FI? theres a icon that says "manage settings" or its under "settings" you go to wi fi in either and add your home wifi or where ever you are at? As far as how it works Im not a phone guru but I suspect much a like laptop works on wifi the blackberry does.
    02-22-11 10:14 AM
    Hit the blackberry button once. Scroll down your menu till you see the antennae with waves/signals going out from it. Click it with your trackball/sensor. Should say "mobile network" "wifi" and "bluetooth". Check the wifi box then scroll down to "set up wifi network" and follow instructions on your screen. That's what I did. When it asks for a pre-shared key, enter your password to your wifi source if it is a protected network. If that doesn't work, let me know. pin:22dd60de add me on bbm and ill walk you through it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-11 07:56 PM
    Hello, Thank you for your posts.
    I already know how to activate the wi-fi interface and how to configure a wi-fi network.
    I wonder what is the purpose of the wi-fi connection if I have a sim with data plan active. What type of data/applications use the wi-fi instead of the edge interface?
    Any idea?
    02-28-11 04:03 PM
    WiFi is used to supplement the network connection. It is useful in areas and/or locations where you might not get a good network connection such as rural areas, in buildings, basements, etc.

In addition, for people on a limited data plan, data used over WiFi typically does not count against the data limit.

And lastly, sometimes the WiFi connection can be faster than the network connection for downloads and such. Also, the browser will allow you to download larger files over WiFi than it will over the network connection.
    02-28-11 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD