I dropped my Blackberry in a bucket of water...now what???? I immediately removed it , took it apart , back of phone , memory card, battery and all and attempted to let it dry out. My boyfriend later told me iIshould have submerged the phone in dry rice???? I have been trying to activate the phone ...taking the battery out and letting it reboot but I get nothing . The red light comes on every now and again ...but other that that nothing .

Is this repairable.? The phone was in the water no longer than 15 seconds.I do have insurance on the phone ..but will have to pay a deductible for sure.

Help please!!!
    01-24-11 07:51 AM
    Yea, take your device apart like you had it before, and put it in a big bag of dry rice for the day. That should get all the water out of the device, and it may start working again. Good luck!
    baylin likes this.
    01-24-11 08:06 AM
    Use your insurance and call it a day. It sounds like anything you could do to fix your phone should have been done and wasn't. At this point, no matter how many times someone suggest rice, it is too late.
    baylin likes this.
    01-24-11 08:18 AM
    Use your insurance and call it a day. It sounds like anything you could do to fix your phone should have been done and wasn't. At this point, no matter how many times someone suggest rice, it is too late.
    Exactly

Once you attempted to power it up, using Rice is pointless

When you drop your phone in Water first thing you to is open it up and get the battery out asap, then dab all visible moisture off with a microfiber cloth,
    resist the urge to test it, and throw it in a sealed bag of rice, and place it somewhere warm, and leave it for 4-8h minimum, normally I say 24h but that is a challenge really.

Call your carrier and pay your insurance deductible,
    01-24-11 08:44 AM
    I dropped my Blackberry in a bucket of water...now what???? I immediately removed it , took it apart , back of phone , memory card, battery and all and attempted to let it dry out. My boyfriend later told me iIshould have submerged the phone in dry rice???? I have been trying to activate the phone ...taking the battery out and letting it reboot but I get nothing . The red light comes on every now and again ...but other that that nothing .

Is this repairable.? The phone was in the water no longer than 15 seconds.I do have insurance on the phone ..but will have to pay a deductible for sure.

Help please!!!

Thanks for the help everyone...yeah thats what I thought call it a day!
    01-24-11 09:01 AM
    Im calling it a day ...24 hrs without my brain is waaaaayyyy too long.
    01-24-11 09:02 AM
    Yeah, If you have insurance use it. Even if you get it working again there is no telling what long term damage may have occurred and may cause complete failure sooner than later anyway. Get a new or refurbished device and be worry free.
    01-24-11 09:06 AM
    Now, put the rice in the water, turn up the heat, bring to boil, let cool, eat rice, go to phone store and get replacement with insurance. Be Happy!
    01-24-11 10:13 AM
    Now, put the rice in the water, turn up the heat, bring to boil, let cool, eat rice, go to phone store and get replacement with insurance. Be Happy!
    , I lol'd. Now I'm hungry.
    01-24-11 10:17 AM
    Blackberry rice pudding sounds good.
    01-24-11 02:09 PM
    Im calling it a day ...24 hrs without my brain is waaaaayyyy too long.
    It is not your friggin brain. It's a damn phone. Don't get It twisted.

BlackBerry stupidity is just that..........stupidity!
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-24-11 at 02:15 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-24-11 02:12 PM
    It is not your friggin brain. It's a damn phone. Don't get. It twisted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know a lot of people that their phone IS their brain.

It tells them when to wake up
    it reminds them when to eat, and they log what they eat into the phone
    it tells them when and where to be
    it has lists to negate the need to remember anything
    it reminds them to charge
    it corrects their spelling, and punctuation
    and the GPS tells them where they are!
    01-24-11 02:15 PM

Wouldn't it be terribly fun to hack the device of folks like that and watch them go crazy when they miss meetings, and can't figure out what's going on?

By the way for the record as others have said, the absolute worst thing you can do is putting the battery back in and "checking" the device before you've allowed the dry rice to absorb the moisture from the device. Once you do that, you may as well toss it and find another one.

I am amazed that nobody fills the niche for waterproof smartphones. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for a sealed device I didn't have to worry about keeping out of humid or wet environments.
    01-24-11 02:25 PM
    Wouldn't it be terribly fun to hack the device of folks like that and watch them go crazy when they miss meetings, and can't figure out what's going on?

By the way for the record as others have said, the absolute worst thing you can do is putting the battery back in and "checking" the device before you've allowed the dry rice to absorb the moisture from the device. Once you do that, you may as well toss it and find another one.

I am amazed that nobody fills the niche for waterproof smartphones. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for a sealed device I didn't have to worry about keeping out of humid or wet environments.

My Water Proof motorla flip phone in 2003 cost $1000, my Audiovox Thera "smartphone" cost $500..

Speakers suck in Waterpoof devices, to run a smartphone with a colour display they'd need a way to dissipate heat without airflow, so probably a lot of copper, silver or aluminum, all of which are far more costly per gram than plastic is.
    Then you'd have the added thickness, think Otterbox thick, for the layers of insulation for the device yikes!
    01-24-11 02:43 PM
    My Water Proof motorla flip phone in 2003 cost $1000, my Audiovox Thera "smartphone" cost $500..

Speakers suck in Waterpoof devices, to run a smartphone with a colour display they'd need a way to dissipate heat without airflow, so probably a lot of copper, silver or aluminum, all of which are far more costly per gram than plastic is.
    Then you'd have the added thickness, think Otterbox thick, for the layers of insulation for the device yikes!
    I realize it would be a significant engineering challenge for them to do it in a decent size package that can still dissipate sufficient heat to not fry using modern processors and so forth. I agree as well with the significantly increased cost of metals for heat sinks and other components it would require.

I don't use the phone all that much, so I'm sure I could tolerate the speaker/mic not being the best ever. It would be annoying for streaming videos but just think, a device you can drop in a puddle and still work fine.

Makes you wonder if the tradeoffs would be worth the advantages.

Despite the costs of materials, I'd love to see them make one "just because we can", sort of like the idea behind the Bugatti Veyron. Of course, like the Bugatti, it may end up being well beyond my price range (hopefully not by such a big margin, but I digress).
    01-24-11 02:52 PM
    I realize it would be a significant engineering challenge for them to do it in a decent size package that can still dissipate sufficient heat to not fry using modern processors and so forth. I agree as well with the significantly increased cost of metals for heat sinks and other components it would require.

I don't use the phone all that much, so I'm sure I could tolerate the speaker/mic not being the best ever. It would be annoying for streaming videos but just think, a device you can drop in a puddle and still work fine.

Makes you wonder if the tradeoffs would be worth the advantages.

Despite the costs of materials, I'd love to see them make one "just because we can", sort of like the idea behind the Bugatti Veyron. Of course, like the Bugatti, it may end up being well beyond my price range (hopefully not by such a big margin, but I digress).
    Get your self an iMate Phone
    810f
    sure it Runs WinMo 6.1 but it's water proof

email these guys!
    Welcome to Sonim Technologies - Maker of the World's Toughest Phones

Motorola Jordan
    Motorola Jordan Android handset for T-Mobile to get down and dirty (and wet) | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by deRusett; 01-24-11 at 03:18 PM. Reason: EDIT: apparently Android might be swimming
    01-24-11 03:16 PM

And all of those people are idiots. They existed before the BlackBerry. They will without one. Anyone who considers their phone their "brain" is quite simply too damn stupid to own one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    K Bear likes this.
    01-24-11 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD