First of all, don't flame me, bro. I've been a Blackberry user since 2010 after switching to a Bold 9700 from an iPhone 3G. I did it because I needed the productivity of the combined inbox and loved the keyboard, and I didn't (and don't) regret that decision. I also got my then girlfriend, now wife, to switch to a Blackberry, and she had a bit of a difficult time with it but we have enjoyed using BBM to talk with each other. By the way, I also bought a Playbook 64gb at full price the summer it came out only to see prices plummet months later.

Here's the dilemma. Her Torch is falling apart and my 9900 is falling apart. I've had Tmobile replace it twice in the last year, but I'm at the end of my patience even still.

She needs a new phone, she's on a different carrier too making it more difficult, and I am pained to say it but I can't figure out if it is worth waiting a month for the Z10 or just switching us both to an iPhone family plan. She needs a reliable phone because I work a lot and she needs to be able to get hold of me in an emergency. I'm not kidding when I say the Torch has slowed down to a crawl.

I want to give Blackberry a chance and the Z10 looks awesome. But I'm not sure I can wait a month... maybe more. I was really excited about Blackberry 10 and waited until this point because really, we both needed to switch to something new a month or two ago. But it's getting old. The delay is really unnecessary and not helpful to customers (like me) who are really wanting Blackberry to have a shot at success. They're not making it easy.

I'm sure I'll get attacked for just posing the question, which is a shame.
    02-04-13 12:36 PM
    I get where you're coming from, and to be honest, you gotta do what is best for yourself. Supporting a brand is great, but at the end of the day, if you got work and need a phone, then you need a phone. Looking at the benefits and drawbacks of waiting would be a better approach. If you wait and get a BB10 you'll have BBM and the video chat that comes with it, although if you get the iPhone, you'll get Skype on it, for example. So think about how each phone will solve your issues, and whichever is better then go for it. I'll say this though, and it might be a bit biased, but if you've waited this long, might as well wait a bit more. Anyway, don't worry if anyone hates, at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you. Hope this helps.
    bahandi likes this.
    02-04-13 12:57 PM
    you can always pick up a used phone on Craigslist or whatever and wait till Z10 comes out. Then sell the phone back for the same price, in a month it'll not depreciate in value.
    02-04-13 01:02 PM
    I get where you're coming from, and to be honest, you gotta do what is best for yourself. Supporting a brand is great, but at the end of the day, if you got work and need a phone, then you need a phone. Looking at the benefits and drawbacks of waiting would be a better approach. If you wait and get a BB10 you'll have BBM and the video chat that comes with it, although if you get the iPhone, you'll get Skype on it, for example. So think about how each phone will solve your issues, and whichever is better then go for it. I'll say this though, and it might be a bit biased, but if you've waited this long, might as well wait a bit more. Anyway, don't worry if anyone hates, at the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the extremely reasonable and well-thought out reply. I really do love BlackBerry and hope that it succeeds.

Mentioned I'm a longtime Mac user, as in my whole life. A lot of people on Crackberry bash Apple, but forget that for many years, Apple was down in the trenches trying to rebuild their brand, too. I used to post on an Apple users forum and we all wondered if the day would ever come where Macs represented more than 2-3% of the market. I remember when OS X came out and running to buy it to install it on my Powerbook, how exciting that was, and how I thought "ok, this is something." I think that BlackBerry diehards and Apple diehards have a lot in common, really.

One difference I have noticed with Apple is that they are very cautious about delivering products, that they really make sure they do it right when they come out with new products. I certainly have had my share of problems with Macs and with Apple's technical support! But I am confident enough in Apple to know that if they release something, and I spend my hard earned money on it, that it will just work. After Steve Jobs took over, that's been the case continually. Apple's products aren't perfect, but you get what you pay for, and even if it isn't right for you, you know it's a quality product.

I really hope BlackBerry can work on making sure that new product releases are done with the level of quality that Apple has made its hallmark over these years, because I think that it CAN and I really think that BlackBerry has some incredible innovations.

You're totally right about having waited this long and waiting more. I almost felt the same way when the 9900 came out, but it was just... there. For some reason that didn't feel like a big wait.

Really not sure what to do right now. I'm thinking about it constantly because I need to just get this out of the way. I'm sure there are other BlackBerry users in similar situations.
    02-04-13 01:09 PM
    Likely with the Z10 out in Canada, you can get used BB9810 or BB9900 and unlocked cheaply to tide you over since you realised that its worth staying on the BB platform.
    02-04-13 01:17 PM
    Look for a used phone on Craigslist. Its always good to have a backup BB for emergencies.
    02-04-13 01:30 PM
    csTx,

Sounds like you like Apple as well. I actually use both (iPad, Playbook, iPhone and Torch) and enjoy both. As Thunder had suggested you can't go wrong with getting a used phone (Apple or BB) until you have a better understanding of what you really want. I wish I had a couple of BBs to give away to help you out. Good Luck!
    02-04-13 01:30 PM
    wait for blackberry 10, give it a try, if you dont like it return it and get the iphone!
    02-04-13 01:32 PM
    a month of waiting beats 2 years of regret
    02-04-13 01:34 PM
    you can always pick up a used phone on Craigslist or whatever and wait till Z10 comes out. Then sell the phone back for the same price, in a month it'll not depreciate in value.
    I agree with this post...pick up used phones to get both of your through the waiting period for either the Z10 or Q10 to be released. I understand your frustration but I think the new BB10 devices will be worth waiting for.

Bob
    02-04-13 01:37 PM
    I would get a used phone off contract if you really want to wait for BB10. It never hurts to have backup phone. But if you need one right now just go and get the iPhone you want.
    02-04-13 01:40 PM
    02-04-13 01:42 PM
    I would at least price out phones on craigslist and ebay. Another option, is to purchase cheap parts off of ebay and repair the phones themselves. I repair kit is a couple of bucks and parts phones can be really cheap. If you are replacing a screen or keys, it isn't that hard. Alot of instructional videos on youtube. I have kept my son's BB Style alive for a couple of years this way. He has been really hard on it.
    02-04-13 01:46 PM
    Not sure which city you live in. Perhaps bordering Canada and you might be able to actually test out the unit at a store to find out if it's worth the wait. Most cell phones have an average life span of 3 years. At least most users would feel the needed change or upgrade within the 3 year time frame. If you cannot wait for the release of Z10, go with the Iphone for now. If BlackBerry OS 10 is a platform for the next 10 years, you can always switch back in a year or two depending on the contract.
    02-04-13 02:02 PM
    The month will go by fast.

As an aside: I don't understand it when I hear of BBs "falling apart."
    My Bold 9930 has been in the midst of trauma, blows to concrete, thrown, slept on top of, kicked across rainy driveways, fallen off bikes, and used like a mule for hours a day and night every day and night. It works just like it did on day 1.

For one to "fall apart", it just makes me wonder what the thing must have gone thru!!
    02-04-13 02:11 PM
    ****and yes, I do sleep with my BB, and mainly on top of it****
    I'm not ashamed to admit that
    02-04-13 02:15 PM
    If its software that's become unreliable or sluggish, have you tried a restore? Save all your important info (contacts, picture, videos, etc. ) then restore the firmware and see if that helps. Also replace your SIM card with a new one from your carrier.

You can also try getting a cheap curve or something to tie you over.

Either way, you can't go wrong, the iPhone is a great device that just works with a ton of 3rd party support.
    02-04-13 06:03 PM
    First of all, don't flame me, bro.
    Don't taze me bro!!
    02-04-13 10:01 PM
    When my Pearl stopped working for me, I considered the S3 and iPhone5 ... in the end, I bought the cheapest android phone on the market at the time because I knew I wanted BB10. It was an LG selling for 70 dollars at Best Buy for Virgin. I dropped my sim card in from Bell and used that for about 6 months. Today, I get the Zed.
    02-05-13 09:11 AM
    One difference I have noticed with Apple is that they are very cautious about delivering products, that they really make sure they do it right when they come out with new products. I certainly have had my share of problems with Macs and with Apple's technical support! But I am confident enough in Apple to know that if they release something, and I spend my hard earned money on it, that it will just work.
    That hasn't been my experience. One reason I ditched Apple computers (besides the continuously yawning price gap with Windows machines that eventually simply pounded the Mac in performance) was the poor quality of the machines -- which got REALLY bad in Steve Jobs's time.

I had a WallStreet G3 PowerBook with hinges that simply cracked in half after a year, rendering the notebook useless.
    I had one of the infamous iBooks with the logic boards that failed -- like clockwork -- every nine months.
    Then I had the Titanium PowerBook G4 with the peeling paint (it came off within weeks of purchase) and distorting cases due to overheating.
    After my 12" PowerBook G4 had the grey paint rub off of the keys within six weeks, I'd had enough.

I have a 13" MacBook "Pro" for testing -- I'm typing on it now -- but it's overpriced for what it does. It's my first Mac in about 10 years, and I'm still not super-impressed, especially for the 3x premium I paid.

In any event, blind loyalty to a brand that isn't meeting your needs makes no sense. If the OP needs a new phone now, and BB isn't providing it, he should get something else that works for him. The brand wouldn't wait two months for him -- why should he wait two months for the brand?
    02-05-13 10:02 AM
    Another option, is the issue that the phones are running poorly or is there actual physical damage?

If they are just running really badly go to the Hybrid OS forum and look at the offerings there. The "B@stard Apt" OS6 Hybrid has made my 9800 perform better then ever and there are many offerings for the 9900 as well. It could make the wait doable. On the other hand if you just want to get new phones now go for it.
    02-05-13 01:48 PM