Anybody out there use any home automation devices that link up to your phone over wifi like:

1) Cameras
    2) Locks
    3) Thermostats
    4) Garage Door openers
    5) Light Switches
    6) Etc

If so, what model and brands are you using - how do you like it?
    05-23-14 02:48 PM
    Oooooooooooo thank you!!!! That's my project for next year. I want to see the answers.
    00stryder likes this.
    05-23-14 02:49 PM
    Yes, I'm using insteon switches, thermostat, irrigation controller etc. All controlled by a Universal Devices ISY controller. Mobilinc app on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 02:52 PM
    Do you have a service like Comcastor ADT?
    05-23-14 02:58 PM
    Nope, not using anything like that and I unplug everything before I leave the house, even the wifi router. Everything except the landline phone.

#believeinfilm
    05-23-14 04:00 PM
    Nope, not using anything like that and I unplug everything before I leave the house, even the wifi router. Everything except the landline phone.

#believeinfilm
    Wait, are you serious?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 04:13 PM
    Wait, are you serious?

Posted via CB10
    Yep, fire hazard. Plus why waste electricity? It already costs me �180 a quarter as it is.

Also I turn down the thermostat to 16C while the house is empty.

#believeinfilm
    05-23-14 04:18 PM

#believeinfilm
    You should just switch off your main breaker panel, it would be less of an hassle. :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-23-14 04:26 PM
    You should just switch off your main breaker panel, it would be less of an hassle. :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    I could but that would kill the central heating completely

Besides, I don't go around unplugging everything just before I leave, most things are already unplugged when I'm done with them: toaster, oven, kettle, washing machine etc

#believeinfilm
    05-23-14 04:28 PM
    Yes, I'm using insteon switches, thermostat, irrigation controller etc. All controlled by a Universal Devices ISY controller. Mobilinc app on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Are you controller all of this using a BB10 Phone running the Android App? Or are you using something else?
    05-23-14 04:50 PM
    None for me. Which is surprising for a tech guy who does network and security consulting for a living . When I come home from work, I just want to drink beer :P

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:03 PM
    I'm using Honeywell Total Connect to control my alarm and thermostat. It's a great feature! It's an android app tho' but available for BBOS 6 and above.
    05-23-14 05:18 PM
    I am using honey well total comfort app for thermostat. Which is fantastic. I got my parents one cause my mom couldn't stop messing with her old one which was frustrating. So I have control of there's to. I have a program set but if they find it a bit to hot or cold I adjust it for them.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:43 PM
    I looked at getting wieser locks but they told me a bb10 ap was coming so I will wait don't really need it yet

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:44 PM
    I have a Mi Casa Verde with a Zwave network and control it all using Homebuddy android app on my Z10/Playbook (yup even works on the Playbook). I have all of might lights controlled and Zwave dead bolts/thermostat as well. I get home enter my pin code on the dead bolt it executes a scene at night to turn on the hall light so I can see where I'm going. Once I close the door after 2 minutes it engages the dead bolt. When I leave I can leave the hall light on once I hit the lock button on the dead bolt it shuts off the light. My wife goes to sleep with the TV on every night so at 1AM my controller sends a power off command to the Samsung Smart TV.

There's no subscription and the only limitation is your imagination. Theres zwave floor vents that you could tie to a motion sensor if you like. Nice night about it not being a package you can pick up modules here and there when you have a few extra bucks and not have a massive out lay. I have been collecting modules for about 3 years. You can even interface the system if you have a DSC alarm, You can even have it send emails when actions occur Example your child comes home uses their personal pin to open the dead bolt it can email you saying they have arrived. I'm going to implement a distress pin on the deadbolt if someone enters the distress code it will alert everyone there is an issue. PM me if you have more questions It's a fun hobby. My wife didn't understand at first but loves the system now.

Good Luck...
    marknmel likes this.
    05-23-14 05:46 PM
    Are you controller all of this using a BB10 Phone running the Android App? Or are you using something else?
    The ISY controls everything, I just use the android version of the Mobilinc app to change stuff remotely.. turn up the heat at the end of vacation, turn on the outside lights if we are out later than the time they usually go off, water the garden a little extra during a heat wave when away from home in the summer

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 07:00 AM
    I started with vivint, and bought more accessories thru ebay and hook them up. I can manage everything thru my Phone.

I have camera, alarms, automatic turn on power, and can add thermostats, locks etc.

Posted via CB using my Q10
    05-26-14 07:09 AM
    Picked up a wemo switch, plug and motion sensor a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely love them. Anyone interested in this kind of stuff should definitely check out the newest member of the Mobile Nations family: www.connectedly.com
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    05-26-14 08:34 AM
    Right now I only have a 3M Filtrete Wifi thermostat that I use to be only able to get to via the Web in my Z10, but now have an Android app running for it. Fully programmable via website or app and I think I paid less than $100 a few years ago. I might upgrade it at some point as the auto heat/cool switching does not work well and some newer models fix this.

Attached is a pic if the app.

Thought of going to Nest Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detectors, but they are having some issue and stopped sales when I researched, so I'm letting that mature.

I had some of the X10 stuff back in early 2000s but it just wasn't practical back then.

I'm considering updating my 2004 home security system with a newer connected one and might do that this summer since ADT keeps raising my rates and when I asked then to upgrade to a newer system they want to charge me a huge amount but if I were a new customer it would be way cheaper. The AT&T digital life seamed interesting and priced well so might do that. Then I can ditch my land line that Verizon FIOS says is $40 per month which is absurd and switch over to Ooma or something for the home phone.
    Home Automation Devices - Does any one use them?-img_20140526_102844.png

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-26-14 09:34 AM
    Over the past year and a half or so, I've added a Nest thermostat and smoke alarm, a Dropcam, and a couple of Wemo switches. I absolutely love the ability to check-in on and control certain aspects of my home from anywhere. Keep in mind though that most officially support iOS and Android. Some of the apps may not work on BlackBerry (ie. I can't get the Dropcam app to work on my Z10).

And I have to echo mikeo007 - come join the conversation at Connectedly!
    05-26-14 09:47 AM
    I'll have to check the connectedly site out. I forgot I tied my fire and monoxide to be remotely viewed. That's thru the arlarm sysem as well.

05-26-14 01:58 PM
    Is there an app for connectedly like there is for crackberry?

05-26-14 02:00 PM
    Thank you for starting this! There is a new site from Mobile Nations dedicated to this, we could list here what works with BlackBerry� 10

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    05-26-14 02:06 PM
    Is there an app for connectedly like there is for crackberry?

There is an app available on Google Play which you should be able to get via Snap.
    05-26-14 02:16 PM
    Anybody use the Insteon Hub? Whats the difference between the hub and the ISY controllers? Looks like they almost do the same thing and have same fatures like dual band etc. The controller may have more programmability it seems.

The only items I have connected are a couple of Foscams...but would like to have more control of the house remotely. Will have to look into Zwave also. Doesn't seem like there are much native apps for BB10, good thing for the Android runtime.
    05-26-14 04:14 PM
29 12