I recently provided my 16y/o daughter with a Curve and data package. Obviously our interests and surfing tastes are a "little" different. So, maybe a few of you in her demographic can suggest some of your favorite wap sites and/or 3rd party apps.

Thanks, for the help!
    04-12-08 09:19 AM
    It all depends on what her interests were... When I was in HS a decade ago, I wasn't into the internet, sports only. I would say espn, but you have a daughter :-/ No one knows what their interests are anymore, Lol.
    04-12-08 09:26 AM
    Maybe the Facebook application

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-08 09:36 AM
    Lucky her!!! I'm sure myspace is one. When I was in HS it was a beeper or pager...lol
    04-12-08 09:37 AM
    I recently provided my 16y/o daughter with a Curve and data package. Obviously our interests and surfing tastes are a "little" different. So, maybe a few of you in her demographic can suggest some of your favorite wap sites and/or 3rd party apps.

Thanks, for the help!
    Don't worry, just give it some time. I'm sure her Class mates and friends will fill her in on the apps and wap sites that they find to their likings.
    Saying that, be always mindful of the sites that she be visiting. (too many Traps out there on the internet)
    04-12-08 10:56 AM
    Wow no cell for me in highschool. Got my first when I was 20. Different times I guess

04-12-08 11:36 AM
    You'll have to let us know how it works out, I haven't given in to my kids yet... lol
    04-12-08 11:38 AM
    I'm sure her HS classmates will fix her up.
    04-12-08 12:31 PM
    Congrats to you on your bravery, I barely trust my 16 y.o. with a cell phone...and its a Nokia at that. But to stay on topic ... myspace has a mobile site, and if her data plan is unlimited, she will no doubt love YahooIM. The best part... she can now start working on her friends to get their own BBs and she can start her own BB Messenger buddies.
    04-12-08 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. We live in the Phoenix Metro area and she's been equiped with a cell since the 8th grade. If I want her to be reachable and use a cell as a safety/information tool, what better device than a BB?(She did agree to kick in the $20 for data--as she is a working girl now)
    Thanks again

04-12-08 12:40 PM
    At least she's responsible & she's paying for it - shows good standards

Mmm, InfoSpace or Berry411 would be good in case she needs to do a quick look-up of anything.
    04-12-08 01:04 PM
    I'd want my daughter to have a cell phone as soon as possible, with GPS enabled, haha. =)

They are great for security. You would know she can call for help easily, etc.
    04-12-08 01:10 PM
    I'd want my daughter to have a cell phone as soon as possible, with GPS enabled, haha. =)

They are great for security. You would know she can call for help easily, etc.
    Hehe GPS tracking enabled!

Lol.
    04-12-08 01:22 PM
    i just don't understand 16 years olds with blackberry's! I saw a kid in my youth group had a curve like me, and im thinking to myself, what for? Surly they do not need all the stuff that I need! But anyways..def facebook and myspace (if she is a member of those sites.
    04-12-08 01:31 PM
    i just don't understand 16 years olds with blackberry's! I saw a kid in my youth group had a curve like me, and im thinking to myself, what for? Surly they do not need all the stuff that I need! But anyways..def facebook and myspace (if she is a member of those sites.
    Granted, she may not "need" to be continuously plugged in....like I do. But, lesser phones are marketed as web surfing, messaging, emailing tools. I feel BB is the best, so I don't mind her having what I feel is the best choice. Oh, she mentioned that her math teacher allows her to use her gcalc app in class. And I know that certain teachers will allow her to use the browsing function when researching during group assignments....times are a changing!
    04-12-08 04:19 PM
    Hey, D_Town. I am 15. Had a berry for about two years now.

04-12-08 08:18 PM
    This is cool, I just saw this message. BTW, there's been a couple of updates to gCalc since she downloaded and she can also use the gWhiz gFlash+ application for memorization type tasks - she can load her own flashcards using a Google spreadsheet. Finally, there's the gRef application that can be used to hold various reference type info (metric conversion/trig identities/etc)

All three apps can be downloaded as one package or individually from gwhizmobile.com

Granted, she may not "need" to be continuously plugged in....like I do. But, lesser phones are marketed as web surfing, messaging, emailing tools. I feel BB is the best, so I don't mind her having what I feel is the best choice. Oh, she mentioned that her math teacher allows her to use her gcalc app in class. And I know that certain teachers will allow her to use the browsing function when researching during group assignments....times are a changing!
    06-25-08 07:35 AM
    I'm a high schooler who has a Curve and a data package.

I search the web for scores and directions to places. Plus I get company email on mine as well.

It all really depends on what the person uses it for and what intrests her.
    06-25-08 07:53 AM
    Holy Crap. What does a 16 year old need with a BB? I didn't even have a cell phone until I was 27!
    06-25-08 08:16 AM
    Get her to download "Beyond411" for her berry. It is one of the most versatile search engines she could have.

Example....

I was at work and a co-worker had recently bought some fish at the market. It was called "Basa". He had no idea what kind of fish it was let alone how to prepare it.

SOOOOO.....I whip out my trusty berry, type in "Basa Fish" into Beyond411, and in a matter of seconds I tell him that it is a type of large catfish predominantly found in the Mekong Delta region near Vietnam. Then I showed him pictures of the live fish as well as its habitat. I also found several recipes all in the same search.

It was delicious!
    06-25-08 08:25 AM
    I have two young daughters. A nine year old and a seven year old. This thread scares me to death! Yes times are changing. But what are we doing to our children.

06-25-08 08:33 AM
    I'm sorry but I'm a dad of a 16 yr old daughter (a sweetheart)also.
    I do not understand(now don't get mad it's just my opinion and experience)parents who allow their kids to have the latest and best stuff out there. Many times the phone had to be taken away from her both at home and at school (by her teachers no less) too much texting IN CLASS or on the phone ALL NIGHT. I can imagine being able to surf the web also for whatever.. adding stuff to her myspace, pictures etc IN SCHOOL(yes I know they are not allowed in school). Now I'm sure you will say that she is a very responsible girl(and she probably is) but I can't see the real need for all that at her fingertips when all you really need is to get hold of her? yes it's been 20+ years also for me since high school and sure times have changed...but... I think these kids get whatever they want when they want and don't appreciate how to get through life without all the extra stuff... theres plenty of time to "enjoy" the extras. But at the school age level they don't need all the added interruptions or distractions like sitting hours and hours in front of the computer or" Blackberry" waiting for that next post to "myspace" or IM or whatever they want to look at. Let them get through school first. and Cell phones at 8yrs old??? come on.... sure at driving age very understandable and I think a darn good idea for emergency. ok I will get of my soapbox
    06-25-08 08:34 AM
    DigtheBerry: Not going to get any flack from me.
    In total agreement and could not have said it better.
    06-25-08 08:45 AM
    No flack from this end either. I have 3 boys myself.

But since she has the darn thing already......I offered a school friendly research application
    06-25-08 08:49 AM
    Right on the digtheberry! If she needs it for emergency use, get her a prepaid that she can use only when she needs to!
    06-25-08 08:50 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD