Swag Bags at the Oscars, Feb. 24....a new Z10/X10 for everyone except Samuel L. Jackson and Martin Scorcese....haha
    01-26-13 11:45 AM
    Now That Is An Awesome Idea! You want celebrity support? Boom! Done!
    Last edited by Clinto; 01-26-13 at 12:58 PM.
    01-26-13 11:56 AM
    Stupid idea really, odds are that most of the time those swag bags get handed off to their PA and ignored, Rim's approach of giving out bb10 handsets to celebs who are into gadgets like Stephen Fry or Jonathan Ross seems like a far more sensible option even if some people do then assume they are being paid to say nice things about the phones.
    01-26-13 03:20 PM
    While you're likely right, everything that's included in those swag bags are usually widely reported in the media lead-up to the Oscars, that in itself would be worth it even if none of them use their devices. But there are a ton of celebrity Crackberry addicts so I don't think it would be as poorly received as you think.
    01-26-13 03:33 PM
    I think an awesome spot for advertising blackberry 10 woukd be the lights at picadally circus in london or times square new york.... I live in london... and its literally the brightest thing there and the first thing you notice with zillions of tourists taking pictures of it as its world famous.... samsung have been up there....

its our turn now!
    01-26-13 04:53 PM
    Tourists might look, but I can honestly say I never pay the slightest attention to who is advertising at Piccadilly Circus. I wonder how effective it is....
    01-26-13 05:17 PM
    If they could project BlackBerry 10 with the icon into the sky like in Batman that would be super awesome marketing.
    01-26-13 07:41 PM
    I'd like to reiterate my idea here as well:

Start a "free trial" program. Allow customers to try out a BlackBerry 10 device for few days (say, 3 days? a week?). After that period, if customer decides to purchase BlackBerry 10 device, give this customer some sort of coupon (app store credit?) or something. If customer decides to not purchase a BlackBerry 10 device, that's fine, take it back, no obligations.

All RIM needs to do is, ship a few "trial only" devices to major carrier stores / BestBuy/ FutureShop (could be similar to Dev Alpha, sealed battery, but a user accessible sim card slot). Whenever a customer comes to purchase a phone, the sales-person can offer customer BlackBerry 10 device for a few days trial. Customer will continue to use their own sim card though.

My reasoning for this is: I find BlackBerry to be addictive. But it's hard to explain BlackBerry's features. For eg: when I tell my friends that I have "unified mailbox" (also known as Hub in new BlackBerry 10 lingo), they don't realize how cool of a feature it is. It is something that needs to be experienced. Same goes for other quintessential BlackBerry features (keyboard short-cuts, auto-text/word substitution, unified mailbox, parental controls, red LED notification light etc.). These features need to be "experienced" to get a feel of how powerful they are. I am confident that if you allowed a person few days of BlackBerry (10) experience, the person will get hooked!
    harshalbid271 and flyingsolid like this.
    01-27-13 03:16 AM
    Stupid idea really

Is it really necessary to call people and their ideas "stupid" just because you don't personally agree?
    01-27-13 08:13 AM
    Is it really necessary to call people and their ideas "stupid" just because you don't personally agree?
    I don't think they are calling the person stupid, just the idea. Very smart people can have stupid ideas also.
    01-27-13 08:20 AM
    I'd like to reiterate my idea here as well:

Start a "free trial" program. Allow customers to try out a BlackBerry 10 device for few days (say, 3 days? a week?). After that period, if customer decides to purchase BlackBerry 10 device, give this customer some sort of coupon (app store credit?) or something. If customer decides to not purchase a BlackBerry 10 device, that's fine, take it back, no obligations.

All RIM needs to do is, ship a few "trial only" devices to major carrier stores / BestBuy/ FutureShop (could be similar to Dev Alpha, sealed battery, but a user accessible sim card slot). Whenever a customer comes to purchase a phone, the sales-person can offer customer BlackBerry 10 device for a few days trial. Customer will continue to use their own sim card though.

My reasoning for this is: I find BlackBerry to be addictive. But it's hard to explain BlackBerry's features. For eg: when I tell my friends that I have "unified mailbox" (also known as Hub in new BlackBerry 10 lingo), they don't realize how cool of a feature it is. It is something that needs to be experienced. Same goes for other quintessential BlackBerry features (keyboard short-cuts, auto-text/word substitution, unified mailbox, parental controls, red LED notification light etc.). These features need to be "experienced" to get a feel of how powerful they are. I am confident that if you allowed a person few days of BlackBerry (10) experience, the person will get hooked!
    How is that any different from using the 14 day trial period offered by carriers?

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 09:01 AM
    How is that any different from using the 14 day trial period offered by carriers?

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    14 day trial period is officially not backed or advertised by RIM. So, they won't be advertising it as such. And sales-person won't try to tell their customer "Hey, you want an iPhone? Let me offer you a free trial of BlackBerry 10 first. If you don't like it, come back in few days and return it and get whatever device you want". Carrier's 14-day return is just-in-case user is not satisfied. It's not "proactive" marketing.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I recall that it comes with an incredibly stupid restriction (you can return the device only if you have used less than 30 minutes or so. Such restricted usage/return policy is not enough to give you "full" BlackBerry experience).

Found this on Rogers's website:
    Return Policy

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the product as follows: (a) wireless devices within 15 days from the date of activation with less than 30 minutes of airtime used (see “Cancelling an Order ” below for further details), (b) wireless accessories within 15 days of purchase, and (c) all other products within 30 days of purchase. While all orders are checked for accuracy before leaving the warehouse, it is your responsibility to review the contents of your order when received. All returns must be sent back as described in the documentation included with your order, and cannot be returned to any of our retail locations.
    Source: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/su...s/store-policy
    01-27-13 10:30 AM
    In the US, there's so airtime restriction for returns. 49 states are on a 14-day return window, one state gives a 30-day return period.

Either way you pay for usage.
    01-27-13 11:12 AM