and I had a question. I heard about this site from some friends and love it!! Why does the google maps "my location" thing only get within 5000 meters? on the GPS thing.. Im on Verizon.. and the only thing I can think is that they are trying to suck more money out of me by forcing me to use Vz Navigator.. Am I way off base with this.. also is there anyway to enable the GPS and go around it?

Thanks you guys rock!

oh I got a 8300..
    05-15-09 12:00 PM
    You have hit the nail on the head, Verizon would prefer you subscribe to their service.

Google does not use GPS, it approximates your position from the cellular towers in your area.
    05-15-09 12:07 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    05-15-09 12:13 PM
    and I had a question. I heard about this site from some friends and love it!! Why does the google maps "my location" thing only get within 5000 meters? on the GPS thing.. Im on Verizon.. and the only thing I can think is that they are trying to suck more money out of me by forcing me to use Vz Navigator.. Am I way off base with this.. also is there anyway to enable the GPS and go around it?

Thanks you guys rock!

oh I got a 8300..
    If your with Verizon, then GPS is crippled by carrier. They want you to pay for it. BB Maps should still work though.
    05-15-09 12:14 PM
    I've got an 8330 on VZW. Enable your gps to location and try BBmaps. It works like a "Charm."
    Enjoy the addiction!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 12:19 PM
    Google Maps pinpoints me to within 3 meters.
    05-15-09 12:22 PM
    Google Maps pinpoints me to within 3 meters.
    That's only because GM isn't a true GPS app. Your lucky the towers locate your device that close.
    05-15-09 12:25 PM
    That's only because GM isn't a true GPS app. Your lucky the towers locate your device that close.
    That, and my GPS is unlocked!
    05-15-09 12:28 PM

Thanks you guys rock!

oh I got a 8300..
    8330 does not have 3rd party GPS accessibility. Only works with BBMaps.
    05-15-09 12:51 PM
    Didn't VZW lose in court? Don't they allow 3rd party GPS apps?
    05-15-09 12:59 PM
    Didn't VZW lose in court? Don't they allow 3rd party GPS apps?
    Don't remember but the Storm is the only bb device on VZW with full gps right now. The Tour and other future released devices will be gps enabled
    05-15-09 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD