It's been an evidence when I read Michelle's post this morning (and also the thread "this girl is asking RIM to improve the touch keyboard").
    It's 21th century and all is as if the sole population targeted by phone manufacturers was geek, tecchie or business MEN.
    Here @ CB we can read sometimes (beside the famous contributors and editors - uh, can we feminism these words ?) some accurate and nice inputs from girls ... but ... where's the dedicated line for "her" ? What message tends to make them allow a phone to enter their purse (a girl most precious place, just after her heart) ?

Show up ladies ! Explain what you like and moreover what you need !
    And RIM, please : LISTEN !

(no, I won't put the Cindy clip, it's not only about fun !)
    06-01-12 08:14 AM
    Haha!

Well, I don't have the fingernail issues that some woman have because I cut mine short to play guitar.

I also don't carry a purse. But I do put my BlackBerry in my backpack a lot when I hike or bike. So I need a phone that is durable. Or at least a case I can put on it when I'm outdoors.

I need to be able to see the screen in bright (Florida) sunshine. My Android was terrible for this! I couldn't see it outdoors at all. I use my phone for geocaching sometimes, and once in a while for viewing maps.

As for advertising, Android is geared towards men. The robot thing doesn't appeal to me. Apple ads are too dumbed down and appeal to kids and non techs people.

I hope RIM does their ad to appeal to woman on the go. Whether business woman, those of us that like outdoor adventure, or moms who are super busy with organizing.

I'd also like to see more white phones! The 9330 only comes in black as far as I can tell. I like the look of the white iPhone and non black phones much better.
    06-01-12 08:55 AM
    Haha!

Well, I don't have the fingernail issues that some woman have because I cut mine short to play guitar.

I also don't carry a purse. But I do put my BlackBerry in my backpack a lot when I hike or bike. So I need a phone that is durable. Or at least a case I can put on it when I'm outdoors.

I need to be able to see the screen in bright (Florida) sunshine. My Android was terrible for this! I couldn't see it outdoors at all. I use my phone for geocaching sometimes, and once in a while for viewing maps.

As for advertising, Android is geared towards men. The robot thing doesn't appeal to me. Apple ads are too dumbed down and appeal to kids and non techs people.

I hope RIM does their ad to appeal to woman on the go. Whether business woman, those of us that like outdoor adventure, or moms who are super busy with organizing.

I'd also like to see more white phones! The 9330 only comes in black as far as I can tell. I like the look of the white iPhone and non black phones much better.
    Don't you leave your fingernails a little longer on the right hand for picking purposes, or are you a flat pic or artificial finger pic person? Back on topic: appreciate your feminine perspective on advertising. As a guy, I just never thought about it much.
    06-01-12 09:01 AM
    Slight longer on the right. But not near long enough to interfere with typing. And not french manicured either.

I think woman are great judges of phones because we tend to value communication and sharing highly.

Also, I'd like to request a native cycle tracker built into the calendar!
    06-01-12 09:06 AM
    I think the "BlackBerry people do" is geared toward both men and women. They need to have adds showing the busy mom using her BB to keep track of what kids need to be where when. Next it needs to show her husband at work using his BB to answer and email when a BBM comes in asking him to get one of the kids from school. Next a BBM group chat with the whole family discussing what to have for dinner. Ending with everyone sitting around the table, blackberrys setting on the table and everyone is talking face to face.
    06-01-12 09:32 AM
    Haha!

Always knew you were a girl after my own heart <3

Now that warmer weather has hit, I'm spending as much as I can outside on bike rides, walks, hikes, track runs/running up and down stadium stairs, etc. I *do* wish I had more of a durable phone in these instances, since I constantly have it out looking at maps, using sports tracking apps, etc. But, I'd still need a bigger screen so I guess a rugged case is more what I'm after.

I agree that RIM (or ANY smartphone manufacturer for that matter) needs to market to women of ALL walks of life - the single adventurer, the professional, the soccer mom, the vacationers, etc.

I might be biased, but I don't think size matters as much now as it has in the past (insert lewd joke here!). Most purses, handbags, etc come equipped with phone holder pockets that are pretty sizeable. The only demographic I could see that might still want a small phone are young clubbers that wear skinny jeans and don't want to bring purses into the club because they want to dance.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-01-12 11:18 AM
    Since there will likely be a single phone for launch with just a touch screen, the marketing needs to actually be gender neutral focusing more on what a BB user is as opposed to who a BB user is.

The design of the keyboard (as well as the entire phone) should definitely deal with the 'fingernail' issue, but will also have to deal with the 'larger fingers' issue many males complain about. When the Curve first came out, many of the reviews commented that based on the size and spacing of the keys, it would probably be more of a "women's phone". The ergonomic design has a very broad spectrum of 'finger' issues to deal with.

As a whole, I think marketing should target Blackberry people in general and not single out Blackberry men and/or Blackberry women.
    06-01-12 12:20 PM
    As a whole, I think marketing should target Blackberry people in general and not single out Blackberry men and/or Blackberry women.
    Sure, both ... including you, me, him and - last but not least - her !
    It's very rare to watch an ad message where women is "the one who buys": the one who DOES ;-) see what I mean ? Behind the scene we (men only ?) imagine that the phone the gorgeous blonde handles has been chosen by his men and gifted. Early 20th century imagery ... Sure RIM (and others) can do better. The sooner, the winner.
    06-01-12 12:44 PM
    Where's Reeneebob?!
    06-01-12 04:40 PM
    Where's Reeneebob?!
    And Q and Laura?
    06-01-12 04:43 PM
    Have to gather up the female troops. Yeah, Q, what's your take?
    06-01-12 04:45 PM
    I'll drink to that....let's get the softer side of RIM devotees to say it loud, say it proud, and say it....oh wait, I'm already drinking...it is that time you know.

Where's the jaf, btw?
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-01-12 04:48 PM
    Yes, jafo. And AmazinglyGraceless
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-01-12 04:58 PM
    Yes, jafo. And AmazinglyGraceless
    Oh Em Gee wizz be golly by George....I thought Amazing was a guy; Taking size 10 & a halfs out of pie hole.
    06-01-12 05:02 PM
    He is. Back in the day new users always called him a she, including me!
    06-01-12 05:06 PM
    I find RIM's communications to be pretty gender neutral, and I'm very sensitive to sexism. I don't carry a purse (the phone goes in a pocket), and my nails are short - I've always had soft nails, so I couldn't grow them if I wanted to. So I guess I can use any phone I want - and I want reliable, efficient and secure. That spells blackberry. Of course, I'm not a typical woman - I'm a much more typical engineer, so RIM's crappy ads actually resonate with me.

Oh, and I also want to support the company with the greatest social conscience. RIM has given away hundreds of millions of dollars to charity, mostly universities. I have a degree from the University of Waterloo, which would not be Canada's premier technical school without RIM's generosity.
    06-01-12 11:18 PM
    Here I am!! Late to the party like usual.. LOL *waving at chrisy and Alnamvet*
    I have very hard nails, that grow faster than I can keep them cut down... so I have to have a physical keyboard to type.. and I do have to type with my fingernails vs fingers.

I do want to see more ads with women in everyday life using the BB to chart their daily course, and make shopping lists of stuff to buy, beyond the normal groceries. This along with the business side of women's daily life.
    Also the BBM group (as a poster earlier said).. rounding up the family to get their butts to dinner!

I tote my BB in my purse, along with the PB and earphones, ready for anything!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 06-01-12 at 11:43 PM.
    alnamvet68, Superfly_FR and Chrisy like this.
    06-01-12 11:40 PM
    Sometimes I write, sometimes I dream ;-)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7441329
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-06-12 12:39 PM
    So Chrisy is saying that we need non masculine, non kiddish nerdy ads?

I hope that works

I think we actually need overall advertising.

In one single ad doing everything would be the prefect ad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    06-06-12 01:31 PM
    So Chrisy is saying that we need non masculine, non kiddish nerdy ads?
    Eh? How did you come to this conclusion based on her post?
    06-06-12 02:05 PM
    I dont know random for some entertainment.

Still she said they were too manly (android), too kiddish (ios) and non nerdy (ios)

Yea I now reflect on this post being stupid.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers

Oh, if this post made a point, helped you or made you laugh, please, please, please, press thanks and/or like.
    Its only a button and takes only a second compared to the time needed to write the post.
    06-06-12 02:10 PM
    He is. Back in the day new users always called him a she, including me!
    Lord, I just had a flashback to some of the PMs I used to get ........
    Folk saw "Grace" and lost the whole entire minds

....anywho! The idea of targeted marketing I think actually has a lot of merit. For far too long
    BlackBerry has been viewed as a stodgy device for male business people.

Now is a perfect time for RIM to work on that perception. I'd love to see more commercials / ads
    that are more female and youth-centric provided they have some sense of realism.

Do I care how a Hip-Hop mogul, a globe trotting DJ or a cartoonishly Gay hairdresser uses their
    device. No, no I do not.

If you just take females as a single demographic, age not being a factor, there is so much to work
    with there and honestly it is an area of marketing that RIM has not really invested in.

Oh, the "cartoonishly Gay" comment is not meant to be a slur. I just remember an old Youtube
    commercial that I personally found asinine in it's depiction of the two gay characters.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-06-12 at 02:36 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and Chrisy like this.
    06-06-12 02:34 PM
    I'm not so into the whole "busy mom" concept, but I do love Dairyberry's idea of " ... a BBM group chat with the whole family discussing what to have for dinner. Ending with everyone sitting around the table, blackberrys setting on the table and everyone is talking face to face."
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-06-12 02:36 PM
    Lord, I just had a flashback to some of the PMs I used to get ........
    Folk saw "Grace" and lost the whole entire minds

....anywho! The idea of targeted marketing I think actually has a lot of merit. For far too long
    BlackBerry has been viewed as a stodgy device for male business people.

Now is a perfect time for RIM to work on that perception. I'd love to see more commercials / ads
    that are more female and youth-centric provided they have some sense of realism.

Do I care how a Hip-Hop mogul, a globe trotting DJ or a cartoonishly Gay hairdresser uses their
    device. No, no I do not.

If you just take females as a single demographic, age not being a factor, there is so much to work
    with there and honestly it is an area of marketing that RIM has not really invested in.

Oh, the "cartoonishly Gay" comment is not meant to be a slur. I just remember an old Youtube
    commercial that I personally found asinine in it's depiction of the two gay characters.
    And the female demographic, based on an age group in some instances, make companies
    a ton of money. Blackberry's (ies?) sort of resemble an accessorized communication
    device. Of course, that's pretty much the case with any mobile device now. The female
    demographic is important and I never really saw RIM pick up on it. Yeah, having a color fusion
    with Curves was a start. The 3rd party case manufacturers sure did though. It has created a
    legion of accessories for phones mostly because of females.
    06-06-12 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD