It could turn into a might not.
    05-12-16 04:49 PM
    Last month in India, Chen actually said that after 10.3.4 they MIGHT release a new BB10 phone!

If the link doesn't start at 6:40 please jump there!

I'll bet ya 50bucks that won't happen.
    05-12-16 10:39 PM
    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

I always say the same, the OS10 is simply the best, but the lack of Apps makes it undesirable. I wish BB could create a new developers relations and launch a new phase, otherwise Android will be its path to survive if makes really good phones at fair prices in a already saturated market.
    Well, not exactly. While the mobile market is a relatively new one, we have a precedent in the desktop one to see how it could go. And no real NEW OS competitor has emerged in the desktop market for a long time now. And if you look closely the mobile market seems to converge the same way the desktop one did. In desktop you have Windows(with a large market share), Mac OSX (the premium segment) and a bunch on linux distribution that pick up the remaining bread crumbs. On mobile you have Android , iOS and a bunch of smaller OSs (with windows being the "winner" of the smaller OSs battle). What makes you think (besides the fact that you like BB10) that things will end up different in mobile than in desktop?
    pstrusi likes this.
    05-13-16 06:27 AM
    Well, not exactly. While the mobile market is a relatively new one, we have a precedent in the desktop one to see how it could go. And no real NEW OS competitor has emerged in the desktop market for a long time now. And if you look closely the mobile market seems to converge the same way the desktop one did. In desktop you have Windows(with a large market share), Mac OSX (the premium segment) and a bunch on linux distribution that pick up the remaining bread crumbs. On mobile you have Android , iOS and a bunch of smaller OSs (with windows being the "winner" of the smaller OSs battle). What makes you think (besides the fact that you like BB10) that things will end up different in mobile than in desktop?
    I tell you why: BB OS10 is at the bottom of the market not cause it's a bad OS, it's simply cause Blackberry's former board neglected during the last 10 years JUST what the consumer wanted or liked the most: Apps, Good Camera, Good/High specs and all this at good prices ( and they are not so interested in security by the way ). I don't know if you've dealt with Android but in my opinion is a terrible OS, BUT many handset makers chose it as logic easy and quick step to put their phones at work saving millions in development, given the google/Linux already built influence. This is the current situation, a pretty hard to Blackberry, cause trying to stick to OS10 doing better phones and marketing could be an expensive and hard path, instead going android is the easiest one "temporary" for grabbing market share and perhaps in a remote future doing a OS the less Android possible. Maybe I'm deluding myself with this wishful thinking
    Last edited by pstrusi; 05-13-16 at 08:47 AM.
    05-13-16 08:36 AM
    I tell you why: BB OS10 is at the bottom of the market not cause it's a bad OS, it's simply cause Blackberry's former board neglected during the last 10 years JUST what the consumer wanted or liked the most: Apps, Good Camera, Good/High specs and all this at good prices ( and they are not so interested in security by the way. I don't know if you've dealt with Android but in my opinion is a terrible OS, BUT many handset makers chosen as logic easy and quick step to put their phones at work saving millions in development, given the google/Linux already built influence. This is the current situation, a pretty hard to Blackberry, cause trying to stick to OS10 doing better phones and marketing could be an expensive and hard path, instead going android is the easiest one "temporary" for grabbing market share and perhaps in a remote future doing a OS the less Android possible. Maybe I'm deluding myself with this wishful thinking
    I never said that BB10 was a bad OS, but I do think the smartphone market will converge in the same way the desktop market did and there will be very little room for BB10. I also agree that the main problem with BB10 is that it came way too late and thus causing all its other problems (lack of apps, bad brand image etc)

I am an app developer myself and can tell you that we don't really want more than 3 viable platforms to be viable (even 2 is enough sometimes). It would take too much time, effort and money to reach all users if the platforms share would be more fragmented. The way the market is shared right now, you have to write for 2 platforms in each space to reach more than 90% of all users: Windows +MacOSX for desktop and Android + iOS on mobile.

That said, developers don't really care which OS actually wins (or loses). We don't hate BB or BB10 at all, it just happened that by the time BB10 came the market (and devs) had already decided the "winning" platforms.
    pstrusi and app_Developer like this.
    05-13-16 08:45 AM
    Maybe I'm deluding myself with this wishful thinking
    Yes you are.
    The market convergence is almost complete and BB10 is roadkill on the information superhighway.
    It's a good OS but that won't save it.
    pstrusi likes this.
    05-13-16 09:13 AM
    It could turn into a might not.
    Sure, that's why I put it in capital letters!

I'll bet ya 50bucks that won't happen.
    You have to bet with Chen he said that, not me.
    05-13-16 10:53 AM
    For hardware, I still think they should take a flyer on a Passport 'esque' device. Make the screen aspect ratio Google legal, and throw it out there. It's definitely different enough from the rest of the pack to stand out. And if they can make it at a mid range price and advertise the touch capacitive pkb with shortcuts, it might be enough to fill a niche. Jmho.
    The Chromebook that fits in your hand...?

It might work.
    05-16-16 06:42 AM
    Feels like every brand is making the same phone, just a little different, the main reason people buy is brand, nothing to do with quality.
    Blackberry is making awesome phones, but it feels like it has some kind of curse because of many people thinking it was dead, do something, would love to live in a world where blackberry rules again.
    silversmith75 likes this.
    05-18-16 12:00 PM
    I was amazed when they announced they had all four US carriers on board.

And I was just as amazed at the $720 price tag. And then again as time went by and I never saw an ad (some did report they had some ads during some presidential debates). But that was nothing compared to even LG's G5 launch. It's like a guy in the office that said he is going on a diet, and then orders two cheeseburgers and fries for lunch... don't think his heart is in it. And I don't think Chen's heart was really into making the PRIV a success. I know he isn't a hardware guy, but he has been through the launch of the Z3, Passport, Classic and LEAP.
    The z3, passport, classic and leap had a launch? BlackBerry is terrible at launching products.

#luvmybb10os
    05-18-16 02:36 PM
    That's really the point. Even with my Passport, people are impressed and ask to look at it. When I utter the word "Blackberry" interest turns to indifference. The name has gone from a mark of professionalism to a joke. A simple marketing trick could fix at least part of the problem. Pay Kevin M. a ton of money and rebrand it "Crackberry".
    05-18-16 04:24 PM
    Ah... License the name CrackBerry to BlackBerry. Make the marketing campaign something new and interesting..

TRADEMARK -- LEGAL CRACK - TRADEMARK.
    05-18-16 05:46 PM
    If you ask me the problem is a lack of marketing. I've had several people at my work who were impressed with my Priv but either had no idea BB was still around, or not interested in using BB OS, but surprised to learn it was Android. If BB wants to continue making handsets for the general public they need to market heavily.
    That is the problem... it seems, and I hope I am wrong, that BlackBerry doesn't want to continue making phones for the general public.

Enjoying the golden years, yet without the gold. Bummer.
    05-26-16 11:13 AM
213 ... 789