Android smartphone market is already saturated and horrendously competitive, even big firms as Samsung are seeing its profits plummeting. Most companies offer phones with similar good specs, camera and direct access to all android Apps...at the best prices possible although mostly of them are made with poor quality ( many can not overcome a simple drop to the sidewalk ). The only chance for Blackberry to enter this battle with chances is offering all of the above already demanded features at competitive prices, but adding powerful differences: good quality manufacture, hub, security. Perhaps I'm deluding myself thinking that BB has a chance to strive under actual conditions, because all aims that only big companies that makes the OS has more chances as Apple and Google. I actually have a Classic with the excellent OS10, ( a pity many of good apps are not available ) and I think to stick to this phone at least for one year more, after that if BB doesn't show another attitude, unfortunately I'll have to jump to Android ( maybe a a better built future Nexus ). I hope BB can overcome the challenge.
    Last edited by pstrusi; 05-03-16 at 12:59 PM.
    05-01-16 04:34 AM
    I read your post and just talked to my friend John Chen. Now, he's convinced and he'll cancel all future Android projects. 5 new BB10 phones will be released this year. Thanks for your refreshing ideas.
    xKingHopy, bakron1, Aju and 17 others like this.
    05-01-16 05:08 AM
    Most folks and I am probably speaking of 98% of the average consumer doesn't care about device security unless it directly affects them.

As far as Blackberry OS10 is concerned, it has no app and/or developer support and without an app ecosystem it's dead in the water.

I think if Blackberry can secure Android and make a cheaper Android device for the enterprise market, it might be enough to keep the hardware division going for a while. Only time will tell.
    05-01-16 05:31 AM
    OP your post would have been perfect if you would have posted this about 6 years ago.
    05-01-16 05:57 AM
    OP your post would have been perfect if you would have posted this about 6 years ago.
    Yes, you're right but given the actual conditions of saturation and poor quality of most brands, perhaps BB could try to conquer some space by offering same features PLUS good quality, hub, .....etc. A remote shot, I know but doing nothing is the actual slow motion dead.
    bakron1 likes this.
    05-01-16 06:10 AM
    It would be one thing if Blackberry offered something unique like Blackohone - Unquestionably secure communications with the ability to micromanage app permissions. The only thing the Blackberry android experiment has brought to the market is a physical keyboard.
    pstrusi and cribble2k like this.
    05-01-16 09:06 AM
    We feel your pain, but a little too late for that!

Hey Blackberry !  .....Wake up!!!-blackberry.jpg
    cribble2k and Velocitymj like this.
    05-01-16 09:14 AM
    We feel your pain, but a little too late for that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry.jpg 
Views:	3318 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	398698
    Ouch! Nobody has even bothered to leave some flowers, or a candle.
    05-01-16 09:18 AM
    Really if BlackBerry doesn�t keep supporting BB10 then I don't care if the company keeps the hardware division because there are many option to purchase an android device.

Posted via CB10
    hwhver likes this.
    05-01-16 10:29 AM
    Didn't Blackberry already try the "Wake UP" ad campaign?

Hey Blackberry !  .....Wake up!!!-screen-shot-2016-05-01-11.37.20-am.jpg

Hey Blackberry !  .....Wake up!!!-samsung-wake-up.jpg
    05-01-16 10:38 AM
    Well, since John Chen mostly outsourcing the hardware design and manufacture, all he has to do is pick up the phone to one of the top tier smartphone OEM's and say "This is John Chen, CEO of BlackBerry. I want your best designers to build me a unique Android handset with your best components and at a competitive price. Put me down for about 250,000 units per quarter but it could go up from there if we stay in the hardware business. Also, I promised no more write-downs for unsold handsets so I need you to take the inventory risk. Hello? Hello?"

BlackBerry hardware volume is so low that they were told that there were no more parts to build the Classic. Their OEM told them that they couldn't make anymore - take your money back.
    JeepBB and outlooker like this.
    05-01-16 10:44 AM
    Yes, you're right but given the actual conditions of saturation and poor quality of most brands, perhaps BB could try to conquer some space by offering same features PLUS good quality, hub, .....etc. A remote shot, I know but doing nothing is the actual slow motion dead.

Nice to hope....but not going to happen.....too many decent quality Android phones now...average consumer doesn't care about security, until they have a problem....hub only matters here.....unfortunately at this point BB is simply an "also ran"......devices are designed a year or more ahead...Samsung is already hard at work on the SG8..Even if the two new BB devices actually do launch, and I have doubts, what's next?????? Do you think they are working beyond that? The only thing that can save hardware at this point is something unique people want.....it's not security, it's not the hub, it's not BB productivity, it's not a pkb, and it sure as hell isn't another mid priced Android.....if any of that mattered outside of CB, we wouldn't be talking about it.
    pstrusi likes this.
    05-01-16 10:58 AM
    Priv is already a failure a few months after its debut, there's nothing that makes me think that the new Android devices in the output will be a great success. yet BlackBerry10 continues to sell after all these months ... the noose agreement with Google can only lead to the ruin

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 11:58 AM
    Priv is already a failure a few months after its debut, there's nothing that makes me think that the new Android devices in the output will be a great success. yet BlackBerry10 continues to sell after all these months ... the noose agreement with Google can only lead to the ruin

Posted via CB10
    BB10 has had several years to attempt success. (It wasn't ). We have to give Android/Blackberry the same consideration.
    Ronindan and web99 like this.
    05-01-16 12:14 PM
    They don't have a choice. The carriers have the final say in what they are willing to buy, BlackBerry doesn't have the muscle to negotiate anything, or sell them on anything, other than what they want. So all they can do is try and meet the carriers request, If there is a request at all

At this point the conversation between them is inconsequential from the carriers point of view.

"We have all we need,

"Try and come up with something different,
    using android".

"We will test it to see if it takes"

That's probably as far as the conversation goes for BlackBerry.

If they show them something other than what they know sells, the answer would most likely be, no. The carrier is interested in proven sales numbers, not big risky ideas that have no data or basis. This is where JC gets clobbered, he can't REALLY do what he wants, and has to sit with decisions he is FORCED to make, which go against the grain. He's taken it from both ends.

This is where I have a problem with criticism, against anyone. Call it underdog syndrome or whatever but If you don't have all the information or knowledge to understand what is really going on. It's no one's place to be critical of anyone.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 01:09 PM
    BB10 has had several years to attempt success. (It wasn't ). We have to give Android/Blackberry the same consideration.
    I guess it is time to remind bb10 fans that BB put themselves on sale since bb10 did not made a difference.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and web99 like this.
    05-01-16 01:23 PM
    Didn't Blackberry already try the "Wake UP" ad campaign?

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.37.20 AM.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	398711

Name:	samsung-wake-up.jpg 
Views:	2361 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	398712
    I can not believe this coincidence ! I swear to God that was a genuine thought of my own this morning after reading a lot of articles about android's big firms. Incredible!
    05-01-16 01:56 PM
    I can not believe this coincidence ! I swear to God that was a genuine thought of my own this morning after reading a lot of articles about android's big firms. Incredible!
    Haha, yeah it is. I figured you didn't but thought it was funny that you were saying the exact same thing BB was saying a few years ago.
    05-01-16 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Many cons:

- High price with medium specs
    - First hybrid android-bb
    - Market inertia
    - Blackberry is seen actually with a non-clear future, nobody wants to give away its money
    05-01-16 01:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because, as we know, there's been millions and millions of BB10 devices sold, right?
    BB_Junky likes this.
    05-01-16 02:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually when a company puts itself for sale because it's market share is down to 0.5% of the market. It is already ruined.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-01-16 02:10 PM
    No it didn't the gave up pretty much after the launch. Then had no direction so if people think the company is going down and no new bb10 phones. Go some where else. That's what happened.

#luvmybb10os
    acovey likes this.
    05-01-16 06:19 PM
    No it didn't the gave up pretty much after the launch. Then had no direction so if people think the company is going down and no new bb10 phones. Go some where else. That's what happened.

#luvmybb10os
    I disagree. I remember because I was the first person I knew to get the Z10. They advertised and AT&T carried it. Then they put out several other models. It failed because it was late to the game.

Android is well established. It will be difficult to break in but perhaps, if they can add adequate security, they can carve a niche. But it will take time.
    pstrusi likes this.
    05-01-16 06:25 PM
    Most folks and I am probably speaking of 98% of the average consumer doesn't care about device security unless it directly affects them.

As far as Blackberry OS10 is concerned, it has no app and/or developer support and without an app ecosystem it's dead in the water.

I think if Blackberry can secure Android and make a cheaper Android device for the enterprise market, it might be enough to keep the hardware division going for a while. Only time will tell.
    It's not that they don't care about security... it's because they dont need "secured phone".

Consumers just need minimal security... enough to give a feeling of safety

Posted via CB10
    pstrusi likes this.
    05-01-16 06:30 PM
    If you ask me the problem is a lack of marketing. I've had several people at my work who were impressed with my Priv but either had no idea BB was still around, or not interested in using BB OS, but surprised to learn it was Android. If BB wants to continue making handsets for the general public they need to market heavily.
    pstrusi and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-01-16 07:49 PM
213 123 ...