Im a student at Penn State University (I am revealing my school just in case I have a fellow PSUer who could answer this, not to brag on how our football team is kicking ...) and I am thinking of getting the 8320 when it comes out for ATT. Since this has wifi, and I am almost always connected to a wifi hotspot, would it be worth getting a data plan? On my current little dumbphone I have a gmail client which i use multiple times every day to check my emails and I still remain under 5 mb a month (so says my statement-- i dont get emailed all to often). Does BB ping the email servers to get push email? If this is the case then will my data shoot up as opposed to me hitting the refresh button on my little dumbphone? Sorry if this is in the wrong place :P

Sauce
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-06-08 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly.
    10-06-08 12:59 AM
    I may be wrong but the only way you get push email is if you get the blackberry data plan AKA BIS, on wifi I dont believe it will push you any emails, and I dont believe you will be charged any data for wifi use.......but i may be totally wrong as i not a att customer

Although I never attended PSU, I did get accepted but had to stay closer to home
    10-06-08 01:06 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Pushed email means the servers at Research in Motion will instantly forward your email without any action on your part. It should not impact your data use.

Wifi only is an option. The only application that will use it is Browser.

I use my 8320 Curve that way and it works much as you describe. Checking for email requires a refresh of the page. It works acceptably well, but the critical thing is, it only works with Browser. None of the installed applications that use data, are able use Wifi with out BIS.

That also applies to third party applications, including most of the ones that do not use data. They still need the infrastructure of BIS for registration.

10-06-08 10:39 AM
    So, I can't manually, outside of a wifi network, hit refresh for email and then have it connect to ATT's 3g? Cuz like I said, I dont get enough email to merit a huge data plan. And none of the other apps work through wifi? They have to have a mobile data connection?
    10-06-08 09:11 PM
    A data plan is a data plan, by that I mean it is only as huge as you make it. I do think you will find the $20 or so well worth it. I didn't realize just how much I would use my berry online until I got it. If I didn't have the data plan, my monthly bill would be hundreds of dollars, maybe even more. This is despite the fact I do use my WiFi, I am on my home network all of the time I am at home. I also use UMA calling to save minutes for my wife to use, lol. Be careful if you do not get a data plan, you could make a mistake and run up a huge bill by accident -- its happened.
    10-06-08 09:24 PM
    Riot no you can not. When you're not connected to wi fi you will not have data services unless you get the data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 09:26 PM
    Alright cool... I just wanted to see whether or not if left idle, the blackberry will connect to the data to keep checking for email.

And from what I am getting, WiFi only works on the browser and no other internet capable application?
    10-06-08 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD