I understand your concerns but apple is nothing but advertising. Granted they do it a lot better than RIM. Hex most people don't need half of what these devices do but marketing makes you think you need it. I don't believe anything apple has is as good as BlackBerry 7 but the commercials can make you feel that way. RIM needs to continue on making great products and work a lot harder on advertising.
    05-20-12 07:33 PM
    Looks like a couple of abercrombie shoppers got a little upset at my comparison of their iPhone to designer handbags. OK. What you should do is look up my address. I'll put it in plain text on a browser page, so you can click on it and bring up your maps app. Same for my phone number and the dialer. Then you can share the website with about 20 different apps, social networking sites, and cloud services.

Oh sorry, your pathetic 5 year old OS can't do ANY of those things? Yeah, my bad you're right, I am silly. You're the smarter shopper who didn't buy into a designer label POS. On the bright site, you'll look trendy at Starbucks. That's a prime reason for smartphone selection right there.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 05-20-12 at 10:33 PM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-20-12 10:04 PM
    I saw quite a few RIM commercials. I actually, to be honest, see a bunch of mixed commercials for every platform depending on what channel I'm watching, which is quite rare. Since I mostly watch CPAC, TVO and Rogers TV besides other commercial stuff once in a while, many commercials. Lol

But regardless, RIM is doing fine. NA is giving bad press, I say FFUUCCKK the press. I haven't read the news in a few weeks and I feel great. I would rather make the news on the web myself.
    05-21-12 01:43 AM
    What people fail to understand is that Apple doesn't succeed as a smartphone. They succeed as a fashion accessory. iPhones are basically designer handbags. They haven't really done anything innovative with them since 2007 but people eat them up. Why? They're fashion accessories. Yes, a couple of you will inevitably chime in to reply that it sells because it's a good product. Horse turds. It sells because it's a fashionable product of average quality, that also happens to be one of the easiest platforms to use for people who really aren't ready for a smartphone anyway. Pun intended.
    i actually agree with this. Its very true. Thats why everybody and their grandma has one.

A lot of non-tech people love Apple products because they are so simple and easy to use. This is a good and bad thing IMO. Im a tech geek and was bored with my iPhone because I couldnt customize it the way I wanted to. The OS got really boring after a while.

iOs is very stale unless you Jailbreak it. An iphone/pod/pad all look the same.

People eat up the iPhone because all their friends have one and its popular. I dont see anything wrong with that either, but its true.
    shaleem likes this.
    05-21-12 02:39 PM
    A lot of non-tech people love Apple products because they are so simple and easy to use. This is a good and bad thing IMO. Im a tech geek and was bored with my iPhone because I couldnt customize it the way I wanted to. The OS got really boring after a while.

iOs is very stale unless you Jailbreak it. An iphone/pod/pad all look the same.

People eat up the iPhone because all their friends have one and its popular. I dont see anything wrong with that either, but its true.
    There is a good reason why Apple does not market to geeks. Geeks get bored easily. When it comes to tech, they are very ADD. Build the perfect device for a geek, and they will love it for a week before getting board, and demanding something new. It is an unstable market.

As for customization, Apple is more concerned with what you can do WITH your phone, rather than what you can do TO your phone. The iPhone's utility is practically limitless. The Android market, on the other hand, is just now getting some of the popular applications born on iOS months and even years ago. Flipboard is a good example. Yet Android phones allow you to tinker till your heart's content. It is a difference of philosophy. Perpetuating the notion that iPhones are all fashion and no function is childish and unworthy. That is exactly the sort of thinking that got RIM where they are today.
    05-22-12 08:07 AM
    Seems androids are out selling iphones. Must be something to the tinkering. I agree the iphone is very capable and simplistic. Also agree ignoring what the others in your field are doing in anything can get you into trouble.
    shaleem likes this.
    05-22-12 08:15 AM
    Seems androids are out selling iphones. Must be something to the tinkering. I agree the iphone is very capable and simplistic. Also agree ignoring what the others in your field are doing in anything can get you into trouble.
    I also think the lower cost Android are eating a lot of the market, and I think they are the biggest threat to RIM's international markets.
    05-22-12 08:17 AM
    I also think the lower cost Android are eating a lot of the market, and I think they are the biggest threat to RIM's international markets.
    Yep not an easy road to travel.
    05-22-12 08:51 AM
    Fair enough.

I would point out that negativity and combativeness are in the air around here, with or without me. Like the company, BB users have become strident, combative, and offensive. The same thing happened to Palm's following. They turned kind of nasty, much like the company.

There are two other companies fighting for their lives: Nokia and MS. Yet, they seem to be generating good will from people. They are not seen as negative, bitter, small-minded people. I think the industry, and fans, want to see them succeed. My point is that it doesn't have to be this way during tough times. RIM is making enemies while MS is making friends. Who could have seen that coming?
    You spend too much time around. Just even try to post a negative perception over an iAddict forum ... Cm'on.
    Now, about the OP.
    T. Heins clearly stated that apple WAS NOT RIM's target for BB10 release. At the opposite of what you intend to state, he ... well, I'm loosing my time.
    Do you know you have a lot of great and matured articles on Crackberry homepage (blog) and that Crackberry is a part of Mobile Nation, including imore, android central, WP central and WebOS nation ?
    I respectfully suggest you get a little more informed.
    05-22-12 10:04 AM
    You consider Bloomberg an Apple site? Anyway, free props and swag, everyone does that. In addition to these sorts of things, other companies PAY for placement. APPLE DOESN"T. Paying for placement is like trying to buy popularity you couldn't earn in the market. If it is so easy, why isn't RIM paying more for placement. Why don't superheroes use PlayBooks? RIM could ask, "Do you have the power?" You are trying to pretend that there is no difference in the way Apple is treated in Hollywood compared to everyone else. Not true. Again, it is like paying salespeople to push the products in stores. Apple does not do that while everyone else does. There is a difference, and understanding that difference is an important step for RIM, and apparently their fans.
    Now I understand the poster's frame of mind....superheroes.....allrightythen....

Every meeting I go into with press, politicians, law firms, etc, what I see are iPhones and iPads. They are even outnumbering notebooks in my circle.
    Are these the superheroes mentioNed above? Because I really don't know of any single politician or lawyer who would classify as such.

With all these high powered acquantainces you must be a very important person. I should listen to you.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-22-12 at 01:24 PM.
    05-22-12 01:18 PM
    "You are trying to pretend that there is no difference in the way Apple is treated in Hollywood compared to everyone else. "(Originally Posted by dandbj13)
    That comment seems a bit disengenous to me. Apple is treated the way they are in Hollywood because they give their products, gratis, to the people who have the power to put those products on screen. A good marketing strategy indeed. Let's not pretend that it is much more than that.
    Last edited by shaleem; 05-22-12 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
    05-22-12 02:53 PM
    T. Heins clearly stated that apple WAS NOT RIM's target for BB10 release.
    I heard that too. Yet, the "Wake up" campaign was targeted squarely at Apple. Then, their next ad campaign targeted Apple users as well. So which is it?

With all these high powered acquantainces you must be a very important person. I should listen to you.
    I am, and you should.

That comment seems a bit disengenous to me. Apple is treated the way they are in Hollywood because they give their products, gratis, to the people who have the power to put those products on screen. A good marketing strategy indeed. Let's not pretend that it is much more than that.
    Apple gives products away, true. But so does everyone else. In addition, everyone else is paying studios to use their products. Apple is not. See the difference?

It's nice to be back.
    05-22-12 05:53 PM
    Why don't superheroes use PlayBooks?
    Hello? We don't want to go there do we?!
    05-22-12 08:13 PM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD