Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree6Likes
  1. playpen007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    210 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    This Wallstreet analyst is never get tired of bashing RIMM stock "Research In Motion Limited (NASDAQ:RIMM): Pacific Crest predicts that BB10 will gain a lukewarm response at best and ultimately fail. According to the firm, it is possible that the company waited too long for an asset sale, and it believes that the stock will come under further pressure. The firm keeps its Underperform rating on the stock."
  2. glamrlama's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    807 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    I think the answer you are looking for is "Barack Obama". Pick a stock, any stock. It is probably down right now. Pacific Crest has no influence on RIMM price.
    / device agnosticism or bust!
    travaz, jasonvan9 and craiggger like this.
  3. masterscarhead1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,399 Posts
    #3  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Mate, even AAPL is down 3% today. It's because of the post-election result. Whole Dow-Jones and Nasdaq market went down the drain
  4. sputneek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,782 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,783 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Well let's hope BB10's reception will not be lukewarm. I'm really anxious to see some kind of marketing to start happening, as for failing, I just plain don't see that as being the case. I do see lukewarm though if nobody knows about it.
    What's in a world?
  5. sputneek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,782 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,783 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by glamrlama View Post
    I think the answer you are looking for is "Barack Obama". Pick a stock, any stock. It is probably down right now. Pacific Crest has no influence on RIMM price.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterscarhead1 View Post
    Mate, even AAPL is down 3% today. It's because of the post-election result. Whole Dow-Jones and Nasdaq market went down the drain
    Of course, that comes as no surprise.
    What's in a world?
  6. Blackberry_boffin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    691 Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    It's the Bush tax relief which is set to expire shortly which has taken centre stage after the the polls were settled.
    Without Congress Democrats have a fight on their hands in this and the markets are righly nervous.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
    - Albert Einstein
  7. sk8er_tor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,324 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,326 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Their opinion is worthless to me.
  8. travaz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    971 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three
    #8  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    The Markets hate uncertianty and are not sure whats going to happen. Maybe more taxes, more regulations, unfriendly attitude toward business. I think it wll not be a good atmosphere to launch BB10 in. Many wont beable to afford. Gas will rise and available money will shrink. Its not going to be pretty.
  9. bluetroll's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,851 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,863 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    you will need to wait until the gov't releases their new fiscal policy (is that what they call it in USA?)
  10. gregorylkelly's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,703 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    It actually has very little to do with the election and more to do with some of the grim news in Europe. The futures markets were doing okay after the election, but they all showed sharp declines after the Europe news broke early this morning.
    www.gbv.asia

    "Bridging the Gap" between your Company and Asia
    -Global Business Ventures - Proud supporters of all things BlackBerry
    Thanked by 2:
    qbnkelt (11-07-2012),  sputneek (11-07-2012) 
    qbnkelt and fbf2012 like this.
  11. menaknow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by anastasiophan View Post
    It actually has very little to do with the election and more to do with some of the grim news in Europe. The futures markets were doing okay after the election, but they all showed sharp declines after the Europe news broke early this morning.
    I'd say it is both election results and grim news for Europe as Greece votes tonight on austerity reforms.
  12. djenkins6's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,787 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    I liked one analysts comment 'The only ones voting for Romney are the old white guys and there aren't enough of them any more' so guess who controls the stock markets, no wonder they are upset and trading down on everything.
  13. Shanerredflag's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    15,235 Posts
    #13  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Obama used companies who shipped jobs off-shore for profits repeatedly in his stump speeches....Apple might want to get worried as that legislation is most likely coming.
  14. fbf2012's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    118 Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by anastasiophan View Post
    It actually has very little to do with the election and more to do with some of the grim news in Europe. The futures markets were doing okay after the election, but they all showed sharp declines after the Europe news broke early this morning.

    Exactly....!!!! Thanks for clarifying. Has nothing to do with the elections!!
  15. madman0141's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,777 Posts
    PIN
    666
    #15  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Yes its President Obama he is to blame for RIM stock being low. It has nothing to do with the leadership at RIM from 2008 til now. It must be the economy all businesses are doing bad. How much is apple trading at right now?
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
  16. kdeckels's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Didn't you see Obama glance a look at Donkey Kong on his iphone during the victory celebration? I think once the market seen he's switched the stock took a hit.
    If I'm posting from my laptop ...... it's only because the PlayBook's charging. TheBlackLabEdge.com
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by anastasiophan View Post
    It actually has very little to do with the election and more to do with some of the grim news in Europe. The futures markets were doing okay after the election, but they all showed sharp declines after the Europe news broke early this morning.
    EXACTLY dead on.
    Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one. Sometimes it's not.
    In this instance, the market is reacting to Germany's woes and oil prices.
    Nothing to do with the US election.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
  18. JR A's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN
    79828214
    #18  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Good. I hope RIMM keeps dropping.

    I'd like it to go back down to $6, or maybe even $4 before end of 2012.

    More shares for me...
  19. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,318 Posts
    #19  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    I don't actually have a strong opinion about this one....Europe or Obama or analyst, I think it may be all 3, but I did see this just a little while ago:

    RIM shares sink as analyst warns BB10

    So some believe it is because of the analyst. Of course, I never thought much of the "surge" either. Nothing substantial has changed.
  20. S180's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #20  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    I have given analysts the benefit of the doubt before.. you can't expect everyone analyst to be positive.... some analysts are neutral or negative, but with good reason.

    This guy is looking like an epic clown, though. He has not given any solid reasoning for his claims.

    Unfamiliar user interface? You mean consumers expect to see the same user interface each time they switch a platform? Do they expect to see the same interface when they switch from BB to iPhone, or from iPhone to Android, etc etc? Are you out of your mind?

    Lack of complementary technology? What do you even mean by that? What technology is BB10 not expected to support?

    Lack of apps? Have you even waited for the phone to be released to make that call? RIM expects there to be a 100,000 apps by launch. That's a fairly hefty number, not exactly "lacking".

    I am really surprised these armchair experts are taken seriously by the media and the technology community. These airheads shouldn't be presented on TV unless they have solid reasoning to back up their claims.
  21. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,318 Posts
    #21  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    Unfamiliar user interface? You mean consumers expect to see the same user interface each time they switch a platform? Do they expect to see the same interface when they switch from BB to iPhone, or from iPhone to Android, etc etc? Are you out of your mind?
    OK, well you are agreeing with him then that the user interface will be unfamiliar, but you feel one would be "out of (their) mind" to believe that could be a factor. I disagree....I'm not sure how much of a factor it will be, but I think it is one, and it's something RIM should be very mindful of.

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    Lack of complementary technology? What do you even mean by that? What technology is BB10 not expected to support?
    It's a vague phrase for sure...I assume he is talking about MS with it's win 8/surface/laptops....and Apple with it's ipads/ipods.

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    Lack of apps? Have you even waited for the phone to be released to make that call? RIM expects there to be a 100,000 apps by launch. That's a fairly hefty number, not exactly "lacking".
    Um....well in all fairness, you can't accuse him of not waiting for the release to make that call, and then assert the opposite! LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    I am really surprised these armchair experts are taken seriously by the media and the technology community. These airheads shouldn't be presented on TV unless they have solid reasoning to back up their claims.
    On that we agree, there are a lot of vacuous "experts" who get attention out there.
  22. S180's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #22  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    OK, well you are agreeing with him then that the user interface will be unfamiliar, but you feel one would be "out of (their) mind" to believe that could be a factor. I disagree....I'm not sure how much of a factor it will be, but I think it is one, and it's something RIM should be very mindful of.
    I am agreeing him on the principal that the interface will not be familar, yes.

    My point is - so what? You can argue that it will be a factor for consumers all you want, but at best it will be be an insignificant factor. Consumers switch platforms regularly.. yet unfamiliar interface is not among the top concerns when making the switch.

    It's a vague phrase for sure...I assume he is talking about MS with it's win 8/surface/laptops....and Apple with it's ipads/ipods.
    Vague? TBH, I think he's pulling stuff out of his rear -- that he has no idea what he's talking about. I am not sure the phrase makes any sense in the context..... I'd definitely want some clarity on it.

    Um....well in all fairness, you can't accuse him of not waiting for the release to make that call, and then assert the opposite! LOL
    You're right - fair enough. My initial point still stands though.

    On that we agree, there are a lot of vacuous "experts" who get attention out there.
    Guys like this make me believe less and less in the mass media -- I mean it's overwhelmingly clear that he has an agenda against RIM -- either personal or business. I am not one for imaging things or believing conspiracy theories. I believe negative news is fine as long as it's honest and unbiased. But this guy is a textbook case of analysts who need to be investigated for misleading investors.
    Last edited by S180; 11-12-2012 at 07:10 PM.
  23. richardat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,318 Posts
    #23  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    I am agreeing him on the principal that the interface will not be familar, yes.

    My point is - so what? You can argue that it will be a factor for consumers all you want, but at best it will be be an insignificant factor. Consumers switch platforms regularly.. yet unfamiliar interface is not among the top concerns when making the switch.
    I think it may well be a factor. The fact that you say people would be "out of their mind" to think it would be factor, and then state that it will not be as though it a fact, is troubling. I think most thoughtful people would concede that it the potential for it to be a factor is there. However, I realize your black and white stance on the matter precludes discussion on it.


    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    I
    Vague? TBH, I think he's pulling stuff out of his rear -- that he has no idea what he's talking about. I am not sure the phrase makes any sense in the context..... I'd definitely want some clarity on it.
    No, I disagree....in fact, I think it's implicitly quite clear, and I think it quite likely he is referring to what I mentioned. However, if you genuinely think he is just making it up, or that the phrase makes no sense "in any context", so be it. I already provided one context in which it makes sense, but you're entitled to your opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    I
    You're right - fair enough. My initial point still stands though.
    I disagree. Your initial point on apps, and subsequent contradiction shows that you entertained the same reasoning he did. Moreover, it is again, a subjective call. Whether they will have a "hefty" number as you call it, and/or whether that number compares well in magnitude to rivals, and how much of a factor that will be, are questions on which there is no consensus.

    Quote Originally Posted by S180 View Post
    I a
    Guys like this make me believe less and less in the mass media -- I mean it's overwhelmingly clear that he has an agenda against RIM -- either personal or business. I am not one for imaging things or believing conspiracy theories. I believe negative news is fine as long as it's honest and unbiased. But this guy is a textbook case of analysts who need to be investigated for misleading investors.
    No. I disagree, and I think you are projecting your own bias onto the media, and arriving at a faulty conclusion. You accuse him of not providing "solid reasoning" (of course, even the absence of that would not indicate bias, let alone conspiracy). You provided 3 objections:

    1.unfamiliar user interface - you have now admitted that it will be unfamiliar, however you claim that will absolutely not be a factor. That is fine, however, it does not constitute a lack of "reasoning" on his part. In fact, this point was part of his argument, and you, in disagreeing with him, have shown no more rigorous evidence than he did.

    2.complementary technology - again, this was another line of argument he presented. You have now admitted you don't understand this phrase at all, and doubt it makes any sense in any context. That is fine, however, I have pointed out what I believe he probably intended as this phrase, and my guess is, he believed the phrase so "obvious" as not to require greater elaboration. Again, we cannot know, perhaps he just made up those words, or perhaps he was referring to the other products from the rival companies. Each person can decide that for themselves.

    3.lack of apps - again, another one of his reasons, and your only objection to it was that you didn't feel he should be able to assert that now, of course, you then committed the same "error" by asserting that there WOULD be plenty of apps

    Overall, I find these 3 objections somewhat threadbare. If others find them convincing, again, so be it.
    notfanboy likes this.
  24. Dapper37's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,339 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac
    #24  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Update; stock right back up where it was. +- a % or 2
  25. JR A's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    PIN
    79828214
    #25  

    Default Re: Here is why RIMM stock down this morning...

    Damn it!

    I hope the stock drops back down to $6 ($4 for wishful thinking) for the holidays.

    I plan on using a good portion of my year end "surplus money" to get a nice chunk of shares...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fellow Storm2 users...I am conflicted and here is why...
    By hucworld in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 03:57 AM
  2. anyones facebook shut down this morning
    By davefromohio in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 08:47 AM
  3. Here is why there is dust under the .
    By Five in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
  4. Here is why RIM's stock price dropped
    By msnider73 in forum Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 01:14 AM
  5. Here is news, RIMM announces 3:1 stock split
    By GT in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions