Hello All,

I'm a bit bored today, so I figured I'd solve a 'problem' if you could call it that. I've got a 8320 on T-Mobile with the UMA/Wifi functionality turned on.

As you know, in order to use the Wifi connection for fastest browsing, you have to go into preferences and switch the browser options to use the Hotspot Browser instead of Internet Browser.

Then, when your done with Wifi browsing, you have to switch back to the Internet Browser in options or you'll get errors when you try to browse over EDGE/EVDO/etc.

An easier solution i've found and tweaked to what I needed, is setup a bookmark to somewhere you can put in a URL and set the bookmark to use the Hotspot Browser.

(This is for OS 4.5, so it may be different depending on what you have)

1) Go to the browser, then bookmarks. Scroll down to Blackberry Bookmarks, then menu click and select Add Bookmark.

2) Under Name, call it something like "Wifi Browsing". Under address, put a URL that has an entry form of some sort. I use 'm.sosdg.org' which everyone else is welcome to use as well. It has a few common (and useful) bookmarks as well as URL field so you can continue to browse on Wifi if wanted.

3) Under Browser, make sure Hotspot Browser is selected, and hit Add.

You now have a bookmark that _always_ uses Wifi browsing regardless of what your options are set to use by default.

Yeah, there's a bit of shameless self promotion in here by saying to use my mobile site, but the fact you can type in a URL and hit enter, and still be using the Wifi is priceless when you don't want to change the default browser.

Anyways, opinions are welcome, as well as suggestions for improvements to the mobile landing page.

Brielle
    09-10-09 01:07 PM
    I use UMA to compensate for the lack of adaqute signal strength in my home/office.

When UMA is active, all voice and data use the Wifi connection. That includes the Internet Browser, which does use the high bandwidth Wifi connection when available, but falls back to the EDGE connection without any issues.

The Hotspot Browers is of benifit to those users without a BIS connection to support the Internet Browser.
    09-10-09 03:01 PM
    ya ive found the IB has better throughput than the hotspot browser....I have BIS however....
    09-10-09 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD