Okay, first let me say that I love this site, been lurking for a while and kept deciding to join but never did. Well, here I am!

Well onto the story. I was at open gym on Friday to play some B-Ball and I took my phone (Chocolate 2 booo) and keys and put them UNDER the bleachers. Apparently, someone saw me do that and when I went back to check if someone called me, it was gone. Totally my fault....got caught slipping.

Here is my dilemma, I'm on the Big Red V and I want a BlackBerry BAD! It would be my first smartphone and I was patiently waiting for the Storm. However, without a phone, I need a replacement which is going to throw off me waiting for the Storm.

So should I just get a free refurbished replacement and keep waiting, spend a little extra for a Pearl and wait till after Christmas or, go for the Curve and get the Storm next Spring?

Thanks CB fam!
    09-13-08 11:24 AM
    Okay, first let me say that I love this site, been lurking for a while and kept deciding to join but never did. Well, here I am!

Well onto the story. I was at open gym on Friday to play some B-Ball and I took my phone (Chocolate 2 booo) and keys and put them UNDER the bleachers. Apparently, someone saw me do that and when I went back to check if someone called me, it was gone. Totally my fault....got caught slipping.

Here is my dilemma, I'm on the Big Red V and I want a BlackBerry BAD! It would be my first smartphone and I was patiently waiting for the Storm. However, without a phone, I need a replacement which is going to throw off me waiting for the Storm.

So should I just get a free refurbished replacement and keep waiting, spend a little extra for a Pearl and wait till after Christmas or, go for the Curve and get the Storm next Spring?

Thanks CB fam!
    It depends on you really. As far as the Storm goes, word is it'll be out this year. I's suspect by Christmas. So if you can wait, I'd suggest you do just that. If not, get a Curve to tie you over.
    09-13-08 11:38 AM
    skip the storm. it's a complete nightmare of a device.
    09-13-08 12:30 PM
    Damn bro!

Yo, I am in no way undermining your knowledge of 'Berrys I just want to know why you think its going (or is) so bad?
    09-13-08 12:55 PM
    Curve on VZW is great. I have one. Just update the OS to 4.5.0.66 or other 4.5 OS.
    09-13-08 01:00 PM
    Really? When did you get to use one? Oh that's right, you didn't. Which means you have absolutely zero idea as to what you're even talking about.
    09-13-08 01:04 PM
    Really? When did you get to use one? Oh that's right, you didn't. Which means you have absolutely zero idea as to what you're even talking about.
    Ohhh nice one Crucial! lol

I think I'm going to take you (Crucial) and david's advice and grab the Curve till the Storm comes out. I'm not planning to get the Storm when it first comes out anymore because of my current predicament so a nice, sexy Cure will tie me over just fine
    09-13-08 01:10 PM
    I vote for the curve.
    09-13-08 02:02 PM
    If you wait, you run the chance of waiting years for the device you want. Everyday there are reports of delays for new BB's. I say go for the Curve & start enjoying the addiction......
    09-13-08 02:23 PM
    Thanks a lot everybody for your input. I'm drooling for the Storm, but as mding4gold has expressed, nothing concrete has been announced and I don't have anything at all at the moment!

The Curve era will (hopefully) start tmrw.

Oh and quick question: Is the VZW unlimited data plan expensive? I'm planning on using the internet a lot with this phone for my Research Practicum Project (Senoir in HS woot!) as well as other cool stuff I've been reading about here at CB (internet radio?? freaking sweet!!!).
    09-13-08 02:40 PM
    You should get a BlackBerry Bold. Its amazing and 100% better than a Curve, i should know i had a Curve 8320 for a year, i upgraded to a Bold and its perfect.
    09-13-08 02:48 PM
    You should get a BlackBerry Bold. Its amazing and 100% better than a Curve, i should know i had a Curve 8320 for a year, i upgraded to a Bold and its perfect.
    I played with a Bold... there are a few drawbacks, and I am willing to keep the lower res screen of the Curve (which is STILL amazing clarity and sharpness btw), instead of upgrading to a higher res screen, and losing BIG TIME on battery life. My curve lasts 2-3 days, constantly downloading mails, weather, chatting etc. The Bold you will be lucky to get 1 day.

Other drawbacks (just my opinions though) - The area surrounding the trackball is not concave like the Curve... so I actually find it harder to navigate with it. And I have small hands! Also, the buttons adjacent to the trackball are all flat, like everything is kind of one piece... makes for not so good finger feedback, so I accidentally hit the wrong button, more than once (without looking or in dark). Also, the unit is wider than the curve. Maybe not such an issue for a guy with big hands... but I am a girl with small hands, and like the size and feel of the Curve.... There are also not many themes or games etc yet, due to the difference in screen res, you will find WAY more third party apps available for the Curve.... though this will change over time. This same prob will happen to early adopters to the Storm too... the lack of third party apps and themes.

I suggest get a Curve and wait until the Storm has been out for awhile and other people find all the bugs and disadvantages before you buy one Personally, I can not see me using a messaging device without a hardware keyboard at all.
    09-13-08 03:44 PM
    The curve is awesome!
    09-14-08 10:11 AM
    Truth, Has anyone else seen the video review(s)?
    The keyboard and the touch screen are put togetherlike crap, I wouldn't want a phone where I would need to press and hold a button , I'd rather just press it.
    09-14-08 12:27 PM
    Good and Bad news.

The Bad News: I HAD to get another Chocolate. The guy at the Verizon store was a **** and didn't tell us I could have bought the Curve online, activated for free on a toll-free number and kept my same number and plan. It was only after I filed my claim that my friend told me this. A $50 filing fee and no memory card coverage? Come on man!

The Good News: The Storm is being announced tmrw. My new every 2 doesn't expire to March, but the buy online-activate by phone method could make things much easier for me. All I have to do is upgrade my family plan to include data.

BTW, ricky....have you held the device? Have you typed on it yourself? I think that guy's opinion in that video is pointless. I feel that he over-exaggerated the keyboard mechanics and you have to be ******** to "run the risk of damaging the device if you press too hard".

That being said......I ****ing love the Curve lol I held it in my soft hands and just fell in love with it.
    09-14-08 05:41 PM
    Good and Bad news.

The Bad News: I HAD to get another Chocolate. The guy at the Verizon store was a **** and didn't tell us I could have bought the Curve online, activated for free on a toll-free number and kept my same number and plan. It was only after I filed my claim that my friend told me this. A $50 filing fee and no memory card coverage? Come on man!

The Good News: The Storm is being announced tmrw. My new every 2 doesn't expire to March, but the buy online-activate by phone method could make things much easier for me. All I have to do is upgrade my family plan to include data.

BTW, ricky....have you held the device? Have you typed on it yourself? I think that guy's opinion in that video is pointless. I feel that he over-exaggerated the keyboard mechanics and you have to be ******** to "run the risk of damaging the device if you press too hard".

That being said......I ****ing love the Curve lol I held it in my soft hands and just fell in love with it.
    I have not, but people on here even say it types like that, once it offcially comes out I will be heading to VZW store to check it out.
    09-14-08 06:12 PM
    Well the Curve is popular. And lots of ladies like the Pearl.

The Bold is coming out fairly soon as well, depending on which carrier you're with. If you can wait, i suggest you get the Bold. It looks great. If not, get the curve, it's great as well.

I couldn't wait for the Bold and get the Curve instead. Now i want the Bold as well. damn.
    09-15-08 02:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD