Hi there

Could someone help me as I am completely dumb when it comes to mobile phones - I am using Orange in the UK with a Pearl 8120. The area I live in has very limited signal, so when I am at home my phone does not ring.

However, I recently connected a new BT wireless router up and connected my Blackberry to this and now I get full signal - I'm not complaining, however do not understand how this works!

Any help / guidance would be much appreciated as I am considering moving to vodafone and would like to make sure that I can still get signal

Many thanks!
    05-08-09 01:25 AM
    I am not quite sure I understand how the router is going to affect whether you get calls or not.
    05-08-09 01:31 AM
    I think the OP is saying they didnt have good signal until they got a router.
    Op, when using a router with your device and enabling wifi it allows you to use UMA. It stands for Unlicensed Mobile Access. Basically just another way to make calls and browse the net.
    This might help you understand it a little better http://www.umatechnology.org/technology/index.htm
    05-08-09 07:18 AM
    sprint has one aswell
    05-08-09 07:50 AM
    many thanks for your help - UMA seems to be the answer - does any one know if that feature is available on the blackberry storm or blackberry bold?
    05-08-09 01:53 PM
    Storm no. Bold yes.
    05-08-09 04:49 PM
    Do you know if UMA will work on all networks in the UK, or is it network specific?
    thanks
    05-09-09 01:40 PM
    I honestly cant help you on that one. I am not from the UK so I have no idea. Sorry. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you though.
    05-09-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD