I have a Curve running 4.5 OS, NOT on BES.

I am having trouble with .jpg file attachments on emails. When they are sent to me, the file attached is a .jpg, but when I get the email on my bb the attachment is changed to a file named winmail.dat, and I am unable to open it. Error message received is "This attachment cannot be viewed onyour device."

When I test email myself, the email comes to my Outlook with a .jpg attachment which I can open, so this is a bb thing.

What is wrong, & how do I fix?

Thanks much!
    05-05-09 05:24 AM
    What OS are you running?

There is something called Blackberry Attachment Services, do you have it?

BlackBerry - Attachment Services

Check in your applications list: Options > Advanced > Applications List for Blackberry Attachment Services

If you have your OS installed on your PC, you can load it onto your BB with Desktop Manager's Apploader.
    05-05-09 06:32 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

If I read this right (novice), I'm running v.4.5.0.127 OS.

I seem to have Blackberry Attachment Service version 4.5.0 listed in my application list so assume it should be working?
    05-05-09 06:37 AM
    OK, I did a Google search on winmail.dat email attachment, and this is only one of many hits:

How to Prevent Winmail.dat Attachments from Being Sent in Outlook - About Email

It has to do with you using Outlook to send the attachment from what I understand.

Do you have another email acct that you can try to send the .jpg file to your BB to test (Hotmail, Gmail, etc)?
    05-05-09 07:01 AM
    Xliderider, you are indeed brilliant!

My Outlook in general was set up as per the info in the link you posted, but somehow my own email address had overriding properties on it that tried to send in RTF ... generating the .dat files on my bb. Changed RTF to plain text, and voila ... once again I have .jpg files coming through on my bb.

Thanks so much for your help!
    05-05-09 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD