Okay, for the life of me I can't get my 8310 hooked up to a satellite for the GPS. I've tried refreshing the GPS while outside and it keeps failing. I did this for over an hour.

Can anyone help? How do I know the GPS is activated? Are there specific settings on this phone to enable GPS?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    03-20-08 08:37 PM
    I can't get it working on my US Cellular Pearl (8130) either.

Google Maps seems to pinpoint a cell tower and tell me I'm within 7km (or something) of that area. Close, but no GPS.

GPSed told me I needed an external bluetooth GPS adapter.

What are we doing wrong? I've stood outside and it still won't pick up any satellites.
    03-20-08 09:32 PM
    Well, after spending a few hours outside and a few calls to the tech folks at AT&T--I think I may have come to a conclusion.

Faulty GPS.

Afterviewing a few forums and even getting up on the BB owner's lounge I couldn't really get a straight answer. Some folks are telling me that I must purchase the Telenav service as a pre-req in order to use the GPS, some tel me all they do is hit refresh and BAM, they get satellite connection. I'm heading out to the local repair center from AT&T. I'll keep you guys posted.
    03-21-08 10:27 AM
    I had the same issue and if I remember right, I loaded Yahoo Go! or some program and it started working. You do NOT have to buy Telenav, even though employees from AT&T will tell you that.

Regarding the Pearl, you do not have an internal GPS. You will need to buy an external GPS if you want to use anything other than Google Maps to find your location. Google is doing cell triangulation to find you which isn't very acurate, but better than nothing.
    03-21-08 12:17 PM
    Just got back from the AT&T service center and they replaced my 8310 with a new one. The GPS now works !!
    03-21-08 02:55 PM
    I use BB maps with bluetooth gps receiver called: FreedomKeychain GPS 2000. It works perfectly.
    03-21-08 09:30 PM
    I can't get it working on my US Cellular Pearl (8130) either.

Google Maps seems to pinpoint a cell tower and tell me I'm within 7km (or something) of that area. Close, but no GPS.

GPSed told me I needed an external bluetooth GPS adapter.

What are we doing wrong? I've stood outside and it still won't pick up any satellites.
    On the 8130 with uscellular, Start Blackberry Maps. INitiate(start) gps. HIt menu/options then menu/clear cache. This "refreshs" the gps, a menu item that got left out of the new OS for some reason. Have a good sky window especaillyy for the first time. It can take up to 5-10 minutes the first time. IF you wan to use another gps prog like google maps, leave bb maps running and close it and go to the aohter app. BB maps seems to act a switch for gps on these units.
    Let me know how it works for you.
    03-28-08 10:50 AM
    I have a Blackberry Pearl 8100 and a little GPS receiver that talks to it via Bluetooth. I use Google Maps. Every day the connection dies and I fix it by rebooting the phone, i.e. removing the battery.

So there are two or three software organizations to deal with here, none of which are easy to reach. I'm beginning to appreciate Apple's closed approach to products. They won't let you in, but at least it works.
    03-28-08 11:03 AM
    does anyone know about 8310 tmobile - does it have internal GPS?
    How to enable it? Would i be able to use same device with At&T?
    04-01-08 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD