I'm looking to buy a Blackberry Bold 9700 (ATT) off a guy on Craigslist. Obviously I'm a little nervous that the phone may not work or something. He said he only used it for 2 weeks before he got a Torch. Is there anything I should or can do before buying to ensure it will activate and work? Thanks for your help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 02:54 PM
    I see that your carrier listed is Verizon. A Bold 9700 will not work on Verizon.
    08-25-10 03:05 PM
    Sorry, haven't updated that. I have AT&T currently.

08-25-10 03:06 PM
    Oh, well.... I don't normally buy phones on craigslist, because I have read too
    many people posting that the phones they buy are stolen.

Ask the seller to meet at an AT&T store, so you can put your SIM card in the
    phone and get it transferred to your account before exchanging money.
    08-25-10 03:12 PM
    Someone said something about getting the ESN # ahead of time? What would that do for me? Can I check the # or something?

08-25-10 03:17 PM
    When I sell a phone on craigslist, I let the buyer throw their SIM card into the phone and make sure everything works out before I leave. You should insist on doing this too.
    If you get the ESN #, you should be able to call AT&T and verify if it is valid.
    Even if it is valid, you should make sure the device turns on and boots up before handing over the cash.
    08-25-10 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD