I tried to upgrade my sisters Pearl 8110 to the OS 4.5. Everything was fine until I realize the OS was for a 8330 not for a 8110. Now the phone does not turn on, the only thing on is the LED on red. Can this be fixable? Can you guys tell me what to do? Not even the computer detects the phone when I plug in the USB cable!!!
    12-31-08 07:06 PM
    You cannot load an 8330 OS onto an 8110. Pull the battery from the device for 30 seconds put the battery back in and see if it boots.
    12-31-08 07:07 PM
    It didn't work!!!
    12-31-08 07:19 PM
    12-31-08 07:34 PM
    Didn't work!!!
    12-31-08 09:26 PM
    just download the correct software and install it to your comp(uninstall the wrong OS in add/remove programs) and load it like you would any other OS ...stop acting like your sister lol
    12-31-08 09:28 PM
    If you cant get it to register on the computer do this:

Pre-Wipe Tasks

1. Download and install Jl_Cmder to your PC (Jl Commander)

2. Make sure ALL your data (i.e. contacts, appointments, memos and etc) are backed up or synced before proceeding! This will wipe everything off of the device

3. Make sure you have the latest version of both Desktop Manager and the Handheld OS installed on your PC. If you need them then download them from here:

4. From the PC navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file vendor.xml

If you have never installed the Handheld OS before then the vendor.xml file will not be on the PC and you can skip this step

5. Plug the device into the PC using the USB cord and make sure Desktop Manager is closed

6. Remove the battery from the device
    Wipe The Device

1. Wipe the device using Jl_Cmder

This may take several attempts to connect to the device, so keep trying until it connects and wipes

2. The device will reboot to a white screen with a '507' error

If the device will not connect and wipe after several attempts then please follow the instructions here:

1. Disconnect the device from the PC

2. Download and install Desktop Manager and the Handheld OS to the PC (if they have not already been installed):

Desktop Manager and Handheld OS List

Command Line Tasks

1. Start a Command Prompt in DOS from the PC (Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt)

2. Change the directory to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

* If you do not know how to navigate to this directory follow instructions in 2a)

2a)

From C:\ prompt type:

cd Program Files <hit enter>
    cd Common Files <hit enter>
    cd Research In Motion <hit enter>
    cd AppLoader <hit enter>

3. Make sure Desktop Manager is not running

4. Connect BlackBerry to the PC

5. Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window:

loader.exe /nojvm

Installation

1. The Application Loader Wizard window will open

2. Click on Next

3. You will get a drop down list with the COM ports and one USB port entry

4. Select the one which says USB:UNKNOWN

* If you do not see USB:UNKNOWN or USB:BBPIN, then follow instructions listed in a1-a5:

a1) Disconnect the device from the PC.

a2) Keep the Application Loader Wizard window open

a3) Remove the battery and put it back

a4) While the red led is on, reconnect the device to the PC. The led will only stay on for a few seconds

a5) When USB:UNKNOWN appears in the drop down list, you need to immediately select Next

5. The loader should now connect to your device and you will be able to reinstall the OS

Install OS and Restore

(compiled from multiple sources including BBF and BBFAQ) I am sure these instructions are here as well, just had these handy.
    12-31-08 09:29 PM
    I can't wipe the phone because the computer is not detecting the phone, therefore I can't save any information on the phone!!!
    12-31-08 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD