I've recently decided to step up to a blackberry and i need some help picking out one that will work well for me.

I've been a long time verizon wireless user,since my parents put me on their plan when i was 17.About the time when i was twenty when the contract was up my parents decided to put me on my own phone plan,which me being an adult made sense.I currently have a verizon plan with unlimted texting and a data plan.I use verizon's mobile web,but it's getting tiring not being able to surf the way i want to,esp for what i pay for my plan.

So i decided that i want a BB to make the most of my plan.I'm not to up for an upgrade until october/november ish,but i found many BB for cheap on sites like ebay and even craigslist.

I'm having trouble finding one that i know will suit my needs.I want to be able to check my email(which i know BB are great for),use sites like facebook and youtube,do general web surfing,and GPS as well as the general stuff that my current phone(samsung intensity) has like calling,texting,and a calender.

Alot of people i know have been suggesting a droid,but their big and bulky and i don't like touch screen phones.I know their's tons of BB models with great features,and i've search and looked at everything,i'm just still lost as to what i should get.

Any help would be great.
    03-16-10 01:09 AM
    Since you're on vzw, go with the Tour. High resolution screen, 3.2 mp camera, high speed internet, GPS. Pretty much what you need it for. Just be aware the browsing isn't like the android/iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 01:13 AM
    I was hoping to pick up something for around 150 bucks...most of the tours i found,even used were around 200 or more.

How is the browsing?I hate using the mobile web to look stuff up on forums,ebay and stuff of the like,can only load so much data at a time,then i have to hit a "more" option and loads another tiny section of the site.
    03-16-10 01:20 AM
    I'm not really sure how to explain the browser. It works for me so I've got no complaints but I've used my friend's iphone/android browser and its a lot nicer. Check the Tour out at a vzw and decide for yourself. It'll be the best way instead of taking my word for it.

03-16-10 01:23 AM
    I'd like a tour,but they are kinda pricey,so i'd have to wait to get my upgrade,which i don't want to do cause i want a BB now.

One more thing,can i get threaded texting on a BB,thats one thing that i like about the intensity...maybe the only thing.
    03-16-10 01:36 AM
    I'd like a tour,but they are kinda pricey,so i'd have to wait to get my upgrade,which i don't want to do cause i want a BB now.

One more thing,can i get threaded texting on a BB,thats one thing that i like about the intensity...maybe the only thing.
    If you want something to hold you over until your upgrade get yourself a Storm 9530 and load up one of lyricals hybrids. You will be perfectly content until it is time for your upgrade, which by then maybe the Bold 9650 will be out! And yes threaded SMS is in os 5.0!
    03-16-10 01:39 AM
    Yeah, there is threaded sms in OS 5.0 which the Tour has.

03-16-10 01:39 AM
    If you look around good you will find a Tour in your price range! If I personally had the choice I'd get the Tour.
    03-16-10 01:44 AM
    If you look around good you will find a Tour in your price range! If I personally had the choice I'd get the Tour.
    If i can get a tour for 150 or so i may...

I heard good things about the 8330,i found one thats refurbished(kinda iffy about that) for 160 shipped on ebay.

The storm...that's the one that "clicks" from what i understand,but it's still a touch phone right?...Not sure how i feel about touch phone,i'm more fond of the hard keys.

Also,thanks for the help you have provided so far.
    03-16-10 01:57 AM
    Why do people constantly ask this question? Decide what features are most important to you, check the specs of the BBs available from your provider, decide which one fits your budget and feature list, and buy it!
    You have a point, OP find someone you know that has the phones you are really interested in and play around with them. If nothing else head over to your local Verizon store and lay hands on them there.
    If i can get a tour for 150 or so i may...

I heard good things about the 8330,i found one thats refurbished(kinda iffy about that) for 160 shipped on ebay.

The storm...that's the one that "clicks" from what i understand,but it's still a touch phone right?...Not sure how i feel about touch phone,i'm more fond of the hard keys.

Also,thanks for the help you have provided so far.
    The 8330 is a rock solid, time tested device. If someone told me to pick a berry on reliability that would be the one. Not to mention it is a great entry level device, nothing too complex about it. You may also want to check out the Pearl 8130, I'm not sure how important it is to you to have a full QWERTY keyboard...... Just some food for thought! Good luck in your search!
    03-16-10 02:03 AM
    You have a point, OP find someone you know that has the phones you are really interested in and play around with them. If nothing else head over to your local Verizon store and lay hands on them there.

The 8330 is a rock solid, time tested device. If someone told me to pick a berry on reliability that would be the one. Not to mention it is a great entry level device, nothing too complex about it. You may also want to check out the Pearl 8130, I'm not sure how important it is to you to have a full QWERTY keyboard...... Just some food for thought! Good luck in your search!
    After having a full keyboard i don't know how i got along using that T9 crap.

I'm not looking for a super high speed device..just one that lets me check forums easily,youtube,email,gps and just be less of a hassle to do it all.

I'm sick of paying 80 bucks a month for verizon and getting crap out of my phone,when i could spend 90 and use it alot better.
    03-16-10 02:12 AM
    After having a full keyboard i don't know how i got along using that T9 crap.

I'm not looking for a super high speed device..just one that lets me check forums easily,youtube,email,gps and just be less of a hassle to do it all.

I'm sick of paying 80 bucks a month for verizon and getting crap out of my phone,when i could spend 90 and use it alot better.
    Completely understand, you have a PM!
    03-16-10 03:19 AM
    I personally love my tour, however every bb has there own unique features. So ask yourself a few questions. 1 do you want a touch screen if so storm2 is the best fit. 2 do you need the wifi feature if so go with the bold. Lastly do you want the best of everything else, then go with the Tour or if you must have the wifi feature wait a month and get the Tour 2.
    03-16-10 08:33 AM
    Sounds like you should go more for a Tour or 8330 OP, if you want a keyboard and aren't able to upgrade right now. Also, I'm not sure that if you bring over a phone if they will change your mobile web plan to the blackberry plan?
    03-16-10 09:10 AM
    Im leaning towards an 8330 to hold me over until i'm eligible for an upgrade.Seems like it would do all the things i want it to do.

I don't think they would have a problem putting me on a BB at the vzw store,i mean they are getting more money out of me.

About the wifi..i won't really need that if i have service will i? I get vzw service pretty much every where i go,save for a few places that i only go once in a while(like my friends who lives between 2 mountains).So i shouldn't really need wifi correct?
    03-16-10 02:12 PM
    The 8530 sounds right for you.

It's way, way faster than the 8330.... Also the trackpad is more reliable.
    03-16-10 02:13 PM
    I'm bidding on a 8330 on ebay right now,if i can get it for under 40 ill be happy,then i'll get something more high speed when my upgrade rolls around.
    03-16-10 04:07 PM
    8330 or Tour (if you can find one in your price range) would be good for you.
    03-16-10 05:57 PM
    I'm bidding on a 8330 on ebay right now,if i can get it for under 40 ill be happy,then i'll get something more high speed when my upgrade rolls around.
    good call
    you will love a bb, and once you get used to it after a few months, then you can get the essex once it hits verizon stores
    03-16-10 06:52 PM
    Beware that Verizon blocks all third party applications accessing the GPS chip.

Here is their explanation:

"At Verizon Wireless we value the security and privacy of our subscriber data and user information and we have taken this into account in the development of our location-based services, which include GPS (Global Positioning Services) functionality. To alleviate concerns regarding access to data by malicious applications and misuse of location information, Verizon Wireless' location-based services utilize a solution that requires each location request to be authenticated and accepted prior to a user's location being obtained through the network and used by authorized applications. This solution requires the use of a custom security API (Application Programming Interface) by authorized applications in order to minimize the potential for "man in the middle" attacks and misuse of information by "bad actors.�

Other words they want you to pay for access where other carriers operate on an open platform.

Verizon has a great network very few dead spots and is always highly rated.

BB is a great device. Good luck.
    03-16-10 07:10 PM
    Poynt accesses my gps with no issues, unless I am not following you correctly.

03-16-10 10:09 PM
    My Tour works fine with GPS.
    03-16-10 11:56 PM
    I almost picked up a 8330 for 30 bucks today but the bidding shot way up within the last 15 seconds.I should be able to pick one up here in a few days when i get my taxes back,i'll have some extra cash around.

I think an 8330 will hold me over till my upgrade,then i can get something new.

I've heard good things about the 5.0 OS for other carriers...it should work for vzw correct?
    03-17-10 12:45 AM
    You can put 5.0 on a Tour. I'm not sure about the 8330 but if they have hybrids then yes.
    03-17-10 02:36 PM
    I found a few tours for around 200...so i'm leaning towards a tour or at the least a curve 2...maybe,maybe a storm.

I heard the 5.0 OS give you more memory,threaded SMS,less lag and it's just all around better,should i just pick up a BB with the OS upgraded already?
    03-19-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD