I bought a Curve off of craigslist in favor of being able to push back renewing my contract with Verizon for when they release their newest Blackberry Niagara or updated Curve.

To activate this phone to take over my voice and text plan (which is part of a family plan on Verizon), I know I should be able to call the 800 number and give them the ESN. How do I activate the data plan (which is $30/month?) as well?

Remember, I do not want to get suckered in to a contract now which I'm worried would happen if I go into a Verizon store...

THANKS IN ADVANCE !
    02-10-09 11:48 AM
    Go to VZW.com
    Login to your "My Verizon" account. If you don't have one, create one. Be sure when you create one that when it asks for a phone number, that its under the main line. They will send you a confirmation text, so just go through the steps. Once your signed up, go to "Activate Equipment" choose to "Activate Old" or "Activate Replacement" equipment or something of the sort. Just not the bran new equipment option. Once your there, select your number, and type in the ESN of the phone. They will tell you what changes you need to make in order to activate the phone, and you would than select the 30$/Mo Data Plan. Press Finish or Next, I don't think theres another step, and turn the phone back on in 10 minutes. Its much easier to do it online than on the phone. Takes about 5 minutes.
    02-10-09 12:15 PM
    Go to VZW.com
    Login to your "My Verizon" account. If you don't have one, create one. Be sure when you create one that when it asks for a phone number, that its under the main line. They will send you a confirmation text, so just go through the steps. Once your signed up, go to "Activate Equipment" choose to "Activate Old" or "Activate Replacement" equipment or something of the sort. Just not the bran new equipment option. Once your there, select your number, and type in the ESN of the phone. They will tell you what changes you need to make in order to activate the phone, and you would than select the 30$/Mo Data Plan. Press Finish or Next, I don't think theres another step, and turn the phone back on in 10 minutes. Its much easier to do it online than on the phone. Takes about 5 minutes.
    "Miley" (sorry I don't know what to refer to you as lol) is right about that. But I think once you get to the part about the plan change it will require you to call customer service. I've done this before when I was with VZW but when you need to upgrade to a PDA or BB plan it requires that you call. They won't extend your contract. It's basically activating a phone and the BB plan is considered an add on.
    02-10-09 12:25 PM
    "Miley" (sorry I don't know what to refer to you as lol) is right about that. But I think once you get to the part about the plan change it will require you to call customer service. I've done this before when I was with VZW but when you need to upgrade to a PDA or BB plan it requires that you call. They won't extend your contract. It's basically activating a phone and the BB plan is considered an add on.
    Hahaha, yes, it's quite ok that you called me Miley, although obviously it's not my name. But anyways, yeah, I was jsut speaking from ym experience activating my old VZW phone for my sister. Since we both had basic phones, there were no changes, but they did offer us to get V Cast and Mobile Web Unlimited and such. But yeah, if you have to call than I didn't know that. We're all here to help put together the puzzle for a user with a question!
    02-10-09 12:28 PM
    And you all did! Hopefully it works out. And hopefully I don't find out this phone I'm buying is stolen when I give them the ESN !
    02-10-09 12:33 PM
    And you all did! Hopefully it works out. And hopefully I don't find out this phone I'm buying is stolen when I give them the ESN !
    Just for future reference. Anytime you buy a phone from someone, especially privately through the internet, make sure they are willing to give you the ESN and PIN numbers before hand so you can make sure that it's not stolen. Or maybe has a big bill and is locked until the person pays it.
    02-10-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD