Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help, my carrier is blocking Hotspot (on 7.1), can't tether either!

Hi, I'll try and keep this brief.

I have a Blackberry 9320, running 7.1.0.398 (1319), the newest version according to system update. My carrier is blocking Wireless Hotspot and there's no option for it in the Wireless settings menu. The carrier im using is Etisalat in UAE. If I remove the sim card and reformat the phone, the option is there again. The moment I put my sim card in, the phone downloads 5 service books from the carrier (Etisalat) and the wireless hotspot options disappears and never comes back (unless I reformat the phone without the sim). I called the carrier Etisalat, and they said they don't support tethering or hotspots, but I know it should work since they said similar hotspot features work just fine on the iPhone without extra charge, also other people said they got it working somehow with etisalat.
    I attempted to unlock this feature via the hidden engineering screens in the BB device, but I couldn't find anything relating to WHS other than "power adjustment".

I have attempted other ways to tether my BB to my laptop. I tried the Tether.com app, but I had to set a specific Etisalat APN setting on the phone because it wasnt working, and the APN setting caused my carrier to charge me huge amounts. So, I know I can't put my carriers APN setting in. I also tried an app called PDAnet, to use Bluetooth DUN to connect, but dial up kept failing as well. None of the numbers I tried worked ( I tried *99#, I tried #777, etc). Now, here I am. I don't know what to do... All I want to do is share my BBs Internet with my laptop. How can I do this?

My question; Is there anyway I can hack the "wireless hotspot" back into my phone, since my carrier disabled it? If not, is there any other way I can tether my BB to my laptop?
    Last edited by crackedboy69; 01-05-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,078 Global Posts

There's no "crack" for the WiFi Hotspot. If your carrier is blocking it, then it is blocked.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Yeah. Normally tethering and Hotspot features will cost extra, so some carriers won't even bother letting you use it.
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

So, what's another foolproof way to tether my BB to my PC then?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,483 Global Posts

Default Re: Help, my carrier is blocking Hotspot (on 7.1), can't tether either!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedboy69 View Post
    So, what's another foolproof way to tether my BB to my PC then?
    Pay the carrier for hotspot service if the offer it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    Pay the carrier for hotspot service if the offer it.
    They do not offer it. Next?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,078 Global Posts

Do they offer tethering? Get that.
    Do they offer a data plan with a large data allowance so that when you use the Tether app, they don't "charge me huge amounts"? Get that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Do they offer tethering? Get that.
    Do they offer a data plan with a large data allowance so that when you use the Tether app, they don't "charge me huge amounts"? Get that.
    Im already well within my monthly data allowance. The huge costs came as extra charges for "out of package" data use, for using the Etisalat APN.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,215 Global Posts

Get the tether app. One time fee and is on sale at times. Not sure if it still works with OS7 though
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Get the tether app. One time fee and is on sale at times. Not sure if it still works with OS7 though
    Please read above. Tether gave me a "no open ports" error. The Tether.com website said that meant I needed the right APN settings on my BB. I entered my carriers APN setting (etisalat.ae) on the BB, and this caused some big "out of package" charges. So I can't use it (even though I'm well within my monthly data allowance, they still charged me big amounts anyway).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

if your carrier has blocked it and doesn't offer tethering then you're SOL and shoudl find another carrier
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,215 Global Posts

Sorry didn't read the whole thing. Sounds like your carrier sucks.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Tethering possible with BB OS 10 - works fine in my Q5

Etisalat of UAE (Dubai) is nasty when it comes to disallowing new technology that helps the common man in reducing his phone bill. Until recently they blocked skype, whatsapp. Now these are open. The other carrier is in the UAE called Du allows tethering. I connect to two of my laptops wirelessly using my BB Q5. Now thinking of buying an iphone 5s from etisalat as the package deal is good, but not sure if they allow tethering. If not I will not buy as the 4 gb data will be a waste, if i am allowed to use it only on my phone.