That's the key right there..

I live in Charleston, SC, and we have 3G w/ VZW all over.. But streaming YouTube, I can tell you Wi-Fi crushes VZW's network.

Big deal for data/media purposes.. Probably not as long as you have strong 3G reception for browsing, BBM, etc..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good to know. I'm in Charleston too.
    10-30-09 10:12 PM
    I don't need wifi I am always at a strong signal or I just use a computer. I am currently using a tour and if I am on the net all my phone calls come ina nd so do my emails or texts. Yes if a phone call comes in it cuts my net connection but so what I answer and the go back to the net or just ignore the call and stay on the net. If a tezt or email come in it just beeps telling me it came in no net interruption.
    10-30-09 10:21 PM
    Curious why not? Depending on the case, 90% of the surgeons my wife works with play music of some type during their procedures. In fact, if she's working their rooms, most of them want her to stream Slacker or Pandora from her Tour.
    Where I work any device with a camera is a no-no in the OR. An ipod would be okay but absolutely no cell phones. I did see a perfusionist on an iphone once and I about had a stroke. If I were on the table I wouldn't want my perfusionist distracted by anything. Poor judgement on his part and IMO he should have gotten suspended.

10-30-09 10:39 PM
    Out where I live we have crappy reception so when I'm at home phone calls are horrid an don't even bother trying internet. With wifi I can at least use email .bbm. An internet great. For for me it was a huge selling point.

If yoiu have internet at home why dont u use your home computer?
    10-30-09 11:16 PM
    If yoiu have internet at home why dont u use your home computer?
    If there are more than 2 people who want to use the same computer than being able to use your BB on the wifi is great especially if your in a poor reception area like me. So for me the wifi is more for BBM and email at home and using it to get on the internet if im not able to use the computer.
    10-31-09 01:22 AM
    Good to know. I'm in Charleston too.
    Where abouts? I'm currently in North Chuck, former Mt. P.. Damn economy..

10-31-09 02:19 AM
    Where I work any device with a camera is a no-no in the OR. An ipod would be okay but absolutely no cell phones. I did see a perfusionist on an iphone once and I about had a stroke. If I were on the table I wouldn't want my perfusionist distracted by anything. Poor judgement on his part and IMO he should have gotten suspended.

Well let's see I work in cardiac surgery and the surgeons are often asking for someone to take pictures of the heart after doing a dissection or valve replacement or anything like that. Sometimes the patients want pictures of the before and after. So sometimes if the camera on the lights above aren't working, they can use a camera or an Iphone to take pictures. Second...a lot of surgeons where I work(and its a huge medical center thats rated in the top 10) listen to music during surgeries. There are some surgeons that prefer no music but there are others in all specialities that like a little music. We had hookups in all the ORs for Ipod but people starting stealing the cords and so wi-fi allows some music to be played whether during the case, closing or after. And most perfusionist don't have time to do anything on their phones once "we go on pump"...they are giving drugs, making sure the patient stays at a certain temperature and documenting all that is done. No one is on their phones during surgery.
    10-31-09 12:11 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and live in an area that has almost zero signal strength. I only had T-Mobile because my largest client has a plant where the only cell phone reception available is T-Mobile. For a long time I had both TM and Alltel because I got a good Alltel signal at home.

I read about T-Mobile's unlimited UMA service for $9.99/mo and decided to give it a try and it has turned out to be a real money saver for me. I dropped Alltel, reduced my monthly minutes from 1,000 each for my wife and myself and went on a family plan with 700 minutes total. My overall cell phone bill dropped from an average of about $225/mo to $75/mo. In addition the WiFi has been so good and so reliable that I dropped my land line and saved another $30/mo.

I do a lot of work from home and it is not unusual for me to run up 2,000 minutes in a month using WiFi and all I pay is $9.99.
    10-31-09 02:16 PM
    Ok. Just got my Storm 2 today. One question I have about the wifi is when am I using it? I have it enabled in my house and the icon is white. It even shows my Sid on my home screen. Does the browser and bbm use widi by default or do I have to set it? Thanks for the info in advance.

11-02-09 09:34 PM
    Curious why not? Depending on the case, 90% of the surgeons my wife works with play music of some type during their procedures. In fact, if she's working their rooms, most of them want her to stream Slacker or Pandora from her Tour.
    When she was a resident they played music all the time in the OR. Being in Ortho she changed, the docs didn't like getting into,why it was inappropriate to play "I wanna **** you like an animal" in the OR. So, they went to NO music and that stuck with her. One time a patient said she remembered hearing " I got 99 problems but a ***** aint one" The lady said, " I heard a ***** ain't one, ain't one what.
    11-07-09 10:35 AM
    Hi! I am new to BB world. I have a new 8900 and a question: Is it possible to access Emails using Wi-Fi instead of Blackberry Service/Edge While Roaming? Checking emails on web browsers is veeeeeerrrrry slow. Thanks for help!
    11-20-09 03:35 AM
    yes..........
    11-20-09 08:15 AM
    How? How do I get my emails with only wifi while roaming. I don't want to pay exorbitant roaming charges.
    11-21-09 04:02 AM
    All I did was connect my phone to an available network
    11-21-09 11:05 AM
    Well let's see I work in cardiac surgery and the surgeons are often asking for someone to take pictures of the heart after doing a dissection or valve replacement or anything like that. Sometimes the patients want pictures of the before and after. So sometimes if the camera on the lights above aren't working, they can use a camera or an Iphone to take pictures. Second...a lot of surgeons where I work(and its a huge medical center thats rated in the top 10) listen to music during surgeries. There are some surgeons that prefer no music but there are others in all specialities that like a little music. We had hookups in all the ORs for Ipod but people starting stealing the cords and so wi-fi allows some music to be played whether during the case, closing or after. And most perfusionist don't have time to do anything on their phones once "we go on pump"...they are giving drugs, making sure the patient stays at a certain temperature and documenting all that is done. No one is on their phones during surgery.
    Are these phones disinfected before being brought into the OR? They could be potential fomites, especially if they are placed over the sterile field to take a picture. I don't think I'd be very happy with someone's "God knows where it's been" iPhone hanging over my chest incision
    12-18-09 12:35 AM
    think of it like this. With no wifi your stuck with whatever service is available to you thru your wireless provider. (good or bad) with wifi it basically gives you 2 networks in a way . so if your verizon (or whoever) service sucks where you are connect to wifi or a hotspot and then ur all set. The beauty of it is when you are in a good verizon area and u have wifi . u can basically use the wifi for your BBM. browser and it seems to be a quicker service (at least what it seems like) and your phone calls/. texts would just go over the Verizon network as normal.

You just need to try it out.
    So how does one go about trying it out? Do I need additional software? If so, what do I need? I have a Verizon Data Plan. Would I be able to use the WiFi at home w/my wireless desktop instead of using the VZW dataplan or ???
    06-07-10 06:47 AM
    All I did was connect my phone to an available network
    Would you provide specifics on how to do this? I have wireless on my desktop computer but I'm not so good at how to connect to things w/it. Do I do this from my phone or my desktop? Do I need special software for the phone?
    06-07-10 06:49 AM
    hi everyone..

i am currently using a curve 8900. I will be going to china for about 6 mths for internship. I would like to ask. Is it possible to use my current BIS if i remove my sim card and get it hooked on wifi?

if that is possible, if i were to insert a new sim card in it, will it still be the same as previously mentioned?

thanks in advance!

YQ
    06-07-10 11:59 AM
    Would you provide specifics on how to do this? I have wireless on my desktop computer but I'm not so good at how to connect to things w/it. Do I do this from my phone or my desktop? Do I need special software for the phone?
    The Storm 9530 does not have wifi capability
    06-09-10 07:42 AM
    Where do you all live that wifi is everywhere you go? Not the case here.
    06-09-10 08:06 AM
    Hi everyone
    I am hoping to get my S2 ordered in the next week, I will be upgrading from the Tour, I was wondering what the big deal about having wifi was? If you already pay $30 a month to VZW for an unlimited data plan, whats the difference in having that or wifi?
    Thanks
    Hi, let me tell you about my breakfast today, believe it or not, it answers your question!

It's my birthday and I'm way too cheap to pass up a free meal so I head to Denny's for my free breakfast. I usually read the paper while I'm eating so.... I opened up the local paper's website and decided why not check for WiFi? Denny's has free WiFi I found out, connected to it and watched pages loading more than twice as fast!

T-Mobile gave me a great EDGE connection of 4 to 5 bars but WiFi is still faster and that's why WiFi is a big deal!
    06-11-10 05:11 PM
    Where do you all live that wifi is everywhere you go? Not the case here.
    It doesn't have to be everywhere you go, but at places I'm at frequently, its worth it to set it up, IMO. You don't have to decide between one or the other. Think of it as supplemental coverage. The apps that can use it will and it can make things considerably faster. It can also reduce your data usage for people who don't have an Unlimited Plan or maybe want to take advantage of ATT's tiered pricing.
    06-11-10 06:02 PM
    Yeah I know it doesn't have to be everywhere but a bunch of people say they use at work, driving in their car etc. Wish my work had wireless I could sponge off of lol.
    06-11-10 06:10 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD