OK, I need some help...please as unbiased as possible. I am currently doing some research for a proposal I have to management. We are a looking at purchasing tablet/notepad devices for about 8 employees mainly to complete inspection forms that could be added to our current database (via a VPN to our servers), our field is in compliance/security/police work. I have argued that a PDA would be a much better idea, as it could be used for many other applications.

My questions are as follows...

How easy is it to have custom applications made to fit a PDA, (most are windows based) such as motorvehicle queries, criminal record checks etc., and company software.

Is the B.E.S. solution more secure than a windows based device with a VPN?

And here is the unbiased response part...which would be easier to manipulate into a custom device, a Blackberry or a Windows based device?

We currently pay for data plans, 10-4 phone service, VPN etc, how are the costs for a Blackberry when compared to the fees we already pay?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
    12-22-09 10:59 AM
    BES can be expensive. Windows Mobile phones with direct access to ActiveSync are secure and much cheaper. For a personal BIS its not more expensive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 11:41 AM
    you would get better information if you called your preferred carrier on this or go to the mobile store.
    12-22-09 12:02 PM
    You would also need to contact your software vendor. I'm assuming the apps are PDA side and not server side. It would require a complete rewrite of the user interface if not most of the entire program. I couldn't truly guess at the cost for a rewrite other than to say anywhere from 5 figures to 6 figures for a ballpark cost. The amount of time for the rewrite would be proportional to the cost. Simple interface may only take a month or two. A complete rewrite may take up to a year. There are a lot of variables on that end. Plus any training fees for end users.

The cheapest for that few of units will no doubt be new tablets/laptops if that is what is currently being used.
    12-22-09 12:18 PM
    Thanks for the help so far.

I will be in touch with our service and software providers, I just wanted some extra info to take to the early decision meetings.

Tablets/laptops are not really an option as the people using them already have laptops with aircards (in vehicle), we need something more mobile and small enough so the user can be portable with them.

I guess my main (general) question is still, is a windows based PDA or a Blackberry
    more adaptable to custom software? Most of which is law enforcement based.

Again, thanks so far for the informative reponses.
    12-22-09 12:53 PM
    It was mentioned that BES is expensive however the managment of devices though BES is excellant, yes it's more expensive however it's well worth it when you have a collection of 50+ BlackBerrys, there is nothing better.

If you think BES is expensive, that's nothing compared to the cost of law enforcement based software applications; my group just reviewed a couple years ago the "Pocketcop" application and it was VERY good but VERY unaffordable (the company just got bought out by another company).

Any good application group pretty much has several device OS's covered and really what I think it comes down to is the wireless carrier and which can can provide the best service in your area.

Enterprise management of Win mobile devices doesn't come cheap either.
    12-22-09 01:49 PM
    I might be very wrong here... But how about, instead of developin apps, you set up a cloud with all the info you want and have them access it via the browser?

I think it would be a lot cheaper to develop. You could do something using MS Sharepoint maybe... Done right, the defaul browser would be able to pull any info and display it to the person in instants, and allow them to upload data as fast as.

Anyway, if you do need an app, all you gotta do is find a good set of Java coders.

BB vs WinMo? Well it is a great time to ask, check out the Smartphone Round Robin threads and maybe WinMo Experts. This is as unbiased I can get, because any other argument I have would lead you to the Blackberry.

Good luck with the management and getting you operations mobile!
    12-22-09 02:20 PM
    I guess my main (general) question is still, is a windows based PDA or a Blackberry more adaptable to custom software? Most of which is law enforcement based.

Judging by the fine applications we see in App World, the challenges of developing for BlackBerry are coming into line nicely.

Window Mobile has never had the reputation for stability, BlackBerry does.

When it really matters, you are better off with a BlackBerry.
    12-22-09 02:29 PM
    Thanks for the help so far.

I will be in touch with our service and software providers, I just wanted some extra info to take to the early decision meetings.

Tablets/laptops are not really an option as the people using them already have laptops with aircards (in vehicle), we need something more mobile and small enough so the user can be portable with them.

I guess my main (general) question is still, is a windows based PDA or a Blackberry
    more adaptable to custom software? Most of which is law enforcement based.

Windows, as noted above especially concerning costs... not to mention flexibility.
    12-22-09 03:49 PM
    Judging by the fine applications we see in App World, the challenges of developing for BlackBerry are coming into line nicely.

Window Mobile has never had the reputation for stability, BlackBerry does.

When it really matters, you are better off with a BlackBerry.
    Except tonight... right? Twice in the same month. lol

OP, find another platform that's cheaper and doesn't depend upon another company but your carrier to have data functionality.
    12-22-09 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD