Hey there,
    I have received a Blackberry bold for free from my friend when she upgraded to a 3GS. My main phone is currently a white iPhone 3G but for now my SIM is in the BlackBerry Bold. Now my problem is, that a lot of the BlackBerries features are crippled without a Blackberry internet plan. What I need help with is making this blackberry work like the iphone in which it does everything over wi-fi when it can. I am using a dumbphone plane which I really enjoy, and I have a data block since my iphone was accessing the network even though I did not have a data plan.
    I need some 3rd party apps that work over wi-fi (None of the google ones do)
    And also I don't want these kind of answers:
    Get a BlackBerry Plan.
    or:
    You need a BB Plan to use A BB to its fullest potential
    Thank you all and I hope this thread helps out other people as well.
    P.S. Right now I am using Logic Mail and it ain't very good.
    10-04-09 09:01 AM
    What type of applications are you looking for? If you list more specific needs, people might be able to provide more specific information.

What you are going to run up against, though, is that many applications require a data plan and won't work over WiFi without it.

Also, many applications can only be installed OTA which requires the BlackBerry Browser (which is only available with BlackBerry Data Plan).

But if you list your needs and what you are looking for in applications, people might be able to point out some options.
    10-04-09 09:34 AM
    Get a BlackBerry Plan.
    or:
    You need a BB Plan to use A BB to its fullest potential
    10-04-09 09:58 AM
    Your friend has not upgraded at all. She has DOWNgraded to a dumb feature phone.

Get a dataplan. This is what BlackBerrys do.

Try to connect to a WiFi system with the SIM card in the phone and you should find that some apps will work fine. The browser, Google Maps and a number of others too. You should be abe to download stuff too.

What you will do with Google Maps and no plan is a puzzle though.
    10-04-09 10:03 AM
    I do believe the iPhone is an upgrade. I knew that someone would say that an iPhone was a downgrade on these forums
    I am actually using the BlackBerry Browser perfectly over wi-fi. What I had to change was make the default browser config HotSpot Browser and Join my WiFi Network. Browsing works perfect, even on the blackberry browser. I installed some apps OTA already. What I'd like to have on this BB for it to even have a chance as my Main phone (Which its most likely not going to happen) is:
    Gmail that auto checks for emails and will give me an indication when I have new mail. (I have the gmail app but it does not work over wifi)
    A facebook app (I have the official one but it dont work over wifi )
    A Flickr app. (Same as above)
    Some type of YouTube.
    Application store (Not absolutely necessary)
    Also whats the newest OS for this device?
    And, What battery does this come with, because my Bold has a Seido battery in it.
    10-04-09 10:24 AM
    YouTube works fine from the browser. No need for an app.
    App World is available but only functions through BIS or BES.

One of the things you will find is since you did not purchase this and put it on the ATT network prior to the Sept 6 cutoff, you will end up paying for BIS once it is attached in one of the IMEI sweeps.
    10-04-09 12:59 PM
    Here's a link to the newest official OS, there is also a beta 5.0 available, Mars. We are all patiently reading your comments about the iPhone on a BlackBerry site and biting our tongues. There are lots of former iPhone users here who would disagree with you. I liked the photo editing features of the iPhone, but when it's time to work and do business, most put the toy away and fire up a BlackBerry.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/new...nguage-315322/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-09 01:34 PM
    i have a 8320 with no SIM (i currently on a 8900)at all and go through my WIFI, i downloaded Opera and use it as my browser. it also works most of the time with BB browser, i havent gotten yahoo, facebook or any apps, programs like that to work, i have to sign into yahoo, facebook, etc. like a computer, this 8320 is just to play with and learn from. I was thimking about buying a pre-paid SIM for an emergency phone but im not sure i can do that? does anybody know? Oh, and no map applications work either on the 8320
    10-04-09 02:09 PM
    Yeah I know my comments may cause a bit of shudders on these parts. I for one love the iPhone. Will the data plan be attached even though I have a data block?
    I have been on my iPhone 3G with a dumphone plan for almost a year and it did not happen.
    10-04-09 04:54 PM
    unknown but my gut says probably. you would have to talk to an ATT service person and ask.
    10-04-09 08:58 PM
    You really can't say one's better than the other when you've crippled your phone by not paying for full service and then complaining about things not working. BBs have the absolute best push email and can do everything you want better than an iPhone if you weren't so cheap and would pay for a smartphone data plan on your smartphone.

You've never used a real BB, you've used your crippled thing.
    10-05-09 12:05 AM
    What I need help with is making this blackberry work like the iphone in which it does everything over wi-fi when it can... and I have a data block since my iphone was accessing the network even though I did not have a data plan.
    Unfortunately, BlackBerries do NOT work like the iPhone when it comes to their internet connections.

I only know of a handfull of apps that will work 100% over WiFi without BIS service.
    If you were on T-Mo, they have something called BlackBerry Feature Enabler, which will give you a free BIS account, basically allowing your Berry to have full access to the internet without requiring a data plan. Most (possibly all) of the RIM apps will work over WiFi if you have a BIS account, I don't know if AT&T has a similar feature.

Also, please do not take this as an insult, but iPhones are not so great as phones, and Bloody Expensive. So, why wouldn't you just buy a iTouch and a good cell phone?

P.S. Right now I am using Logic Mail and it ain't very good.
    You can Try tiggit mail instead. I've never used with Logic or tiggit, so I can't tell you which is better, but they're the only two non BIS e-mail clients I know about...

I am actually using the BlackBerry Browser perfectly over wi-fi. What I had to change was make the default browser config HotSpot Browser and Join my WiFi Network... What I'd like to have on this BB for it to even have a chance as my Main phone (Which its most likely not going to happen) is:
    Gmail that auto checks for emails and will give me an indication when I have new mail. (I have the gmail app but it does not work over wifi)
    A facebook app (I have the official one but it dont work over wifi )
    A Flickr app. (Same as above)
    Some type of YouTube.
    Application store (Not absolutely necessary)
    There is a thread that lists all of the apps what work over WiFi.
    Unfortunately, I don't think ANY of what you have listed will work without BIS.

And, What battery does this come with, because my Bold has a Seido battery in it.
    Seido is an aftermarket battery, and a GOOD one. Generally better than stock.
    BTW, stock ones are RIM/BlackBerry branded.

i have a 8320 with no SIM (i currently on a 8900)at all and go through my WIFI, i downloaded Opera and use it as my browser. it also works most of the time with BB browser... I was thimking about buying a pre-paid SIM for an emergency phone but im not sure i can do that? does anybody know?
    Any GSM SIM card will work on an unlocked GSM BlackBerry, and you will be able to use it as a phone. But you will still need a BIS account from your cell phone provider for full internet access.

Oh, and no map applications work either on the 8320
    Google Maps should work if you get a Data Plan, but since you lack a GPS in your phone, it would have to rely on cell-tower locating, and that is not very accurate.
    Last edited by smnc; 10-05-09 at 01:29 AM.
    10-05-09 01:24 AM
    @smnc

Could you tell me more about this blackberry feature enabler?

@tcamshafter
    I do that.

10-05-09 02:02 AM
    @smnc

Could you tell me more about this blackberry feature enabler?

Sorry, I don't know a lot more. I don't use T-Mo (unfortunately) as I live in Canada.
    It's just a service I've heard about, where you can call T-Mo support and ask them to add it to your account. It's free, and basically it'll give you a BIS account, that will allow you to access all the BIS features, including service books, which should enable your RIM apps to work over WiFi.
    From what I understand, it's supposed to be an add-on for people who already have a non-BlackBerry data plan, but I've heard about people who use it with no data plan. YMMV, as I said, this is all second hand information.
    10-05-09 02:18 AM
    You can use Google Maps over WiFi with Aerize WiFiX, it works great for me.
    10-05-09 03:22 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Well I guess I'll just use it as my backup phone. Or give it to my mom. I'll take a look at Aerize WiFix. I am just not a blackberry person unfortunatley. The iPhone in my mind for me (IMHO) is a much better phone and everything is easier to use. BB OS is a bit complex. You guys should know I am 13 and that well frankly iPhones are better for our age group. The eMailing ability seems to be the bread and butter of the BlackBerry. But it also has a crappy media player. I use the iPhone's music player daily and it just cannot be beat. I really am enjoying using this bold though. I am not going to give up on it. I hope they add the BIS plan to my account so that I can use it with my iPhone as well. How much extra is it?
    10-05-09 05:06 PM
    Unfortunately, BlackBerries do NOT work like the iPhone when it comes to their internet connections.

I only know of a handfull of apps that will work 100% over WiFi without BIS service.
    If you were on T-Mo, they have something called BlackBerry Feature Enabler, which will give you a free BIS account, basically allowing your Berry to have full access to the internet without requiring a data plan. Most (possibly all) of the RIM apps will work over WiFi if you have a BIS account, I don't know if AT&T has a similar feature..
    T-Mo blackberry feature enabler doesn't work anymore. I have it and it doesn't allow you to do anything you were not supposed to. It just enables MMS on some old berries. I have the 8220
    10-15-09 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD