and I stopped at a store tonight and got the Micro Card thing to put in the back of the phone and its still not letting me save stuff...it keeps saying memory full...any idea???
    04-14-09 08:17 PM
    What are you trying to save?

Format your memory card. Then plug the phone to your computer. You'll be able to drag and drop pictures and music onto the card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 08:21 PM
    Did you format the card first? If not, go to Options (icon with wrench)>>Advanced Applications>>Media Card, press Menu (left of trackball) and select Format Card.

See if that helps.

04-14-09 08:23 PM
    I can't get it to format..I am getting aggravated! I installed the card successfully from the help of this site but can't get it formatted!
    04-14-09 08:41 PM
    What happens when you follow skullgame's instructions?
    04-14-09 08:45 PM
    I have a Curve and it doesn't give me all of those options...
    04-14-09 08:47 PM
    Go to Options>Media Card and turn Media Card support On. How big is the card, and how much space is shown under the media Card options?

04-14-09 08:55 PM
    Do you have to format the card? I just put mine in my 8330 and transfered my pictures from device memory to media card.

Can you transfer default ringtones to the card or only those you download? Thank you in advance. Someone always has the answer and always soooo patient with us newbies.

04-14-09 09:03 PM
    I still can't get mine to work...UGH!!! I am getting so frustrated!
    04-14-09 09:07 PM
    Do you have to format the card? No Should you format the card? Yes
    04-14-09 09:10 PM
    Do you have to format the card? No Should you format the card? Yes
    What is the reason for formatting the card? What is formatting? Sorry to sound so ignorant. There is a steep learning curve....no pun intended.

04-14-09 09:30 PM
    What is the reason for formatting the card? What is formatting? Sorry to sound so ignorant. There is a steep learning curve....no pun intended.

Formatting erases everything on the card. You usually format the card before you use it.
    04-14-09 10:00 PM
    Ok....one more dumb question----If its a new media card how/why would it have anything on it? Would it not be blank?

04-14-09 10:15 PM
    Its like one of those things where it'll help performance. Kind of how they advise you to fully charge your phone for four hours before using it.

Formatting takes less than a minute. I advise you to do it. =]

I'm sure someone who knows the real reason will chime in.

04-14-09 10:16 PM
    Formatting a memory card is like painting the lines on a parking lot. Without the lines, the cars don't know where to park.

The device (computer, BlackBerry, etc...) needs to have a system to organize the data. Formatting creates a File Allocation Table (FAT), which is like a table of contents or roadmap. Every time something is stored on the card, an entry for it is written to the FAT so it can be retrieved later. The FAT takes up space. The larger the media card, the more space the FAT requires. This is why your empty 2 GB card shows 1.8 GB free, why your empty 4 GB card shows 3.6 GB free, etc...

If the card did not ship formatted, then the device has absolutely no clue how to store data on it.

Format it.

jamielee24fan Can you walk us through exactly what you are doing and exactly what happens when you try? "It doesn't work" is a little vague and doesn't help us to help you.
    04-15-09 03:06 PM
    Rrrebo,

That is an excellent explanation and analogy.
    04-15-09 04:59 PM
    Here's what you do. Take the memory card. Get a card reader. Plug it into your computer. If your computer recognizes it go to

Start > My Computer
    Look for Devices with Removable Memory
    Right click on the Icon that says "SD Card" and click on "Format" Then just use Format, don't worry about the rest of the options, they'll work on default.

You should be good then...
    04-15-09 05:29 PM
    Formatting a memory card is like painting the lines on a parking lot. Without the lines, the cars don't know where to park.

The device (computer, BlackBerry, etc...) needs to have a system to organize the data. Formatting creates a File Allocation Table (FAT), which is like a table of contents or roadmap. Every time something is stored on the card, an entry for it is written to the FAT so it can be retrieved later. The FAT takes up space. The larger the media card, the more space the FAT requires. This is why your empty 2 GB card shows 1.8 GB free, why your empty 4 GB card shows 3.
    OH NO!!

I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, but I just saw this and am freaking out.

What happens if you don't format the card?

I just exchaned the card I had in my other phone (that came with that phone) because I didn't want to lose my pictures, and I didn't format that card when I got it then either.

It seems okay. What difference would I notice had I formatted it?
    04-15-09 05:32 PM
    Nice comment.
    04-15-09 05:42 PM
    I finally went back to Walmart today and found out the guy sold me the wrong card for my phone..they fixed it today and now I am a very happy camper!
    04-15-09 09:25 PM
    OH NO!!

I don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, but I just saw this and am freaking out.

What happens if you don't format the card?

I just exchaned the card I had in my other phone (that came with that phone) because I didn't want to lose my pictures, and I didn't format that card when I got it then either.

It seems okay. What difference would I notice had I formatted it?
    The bottom line is this: you cannot use the card if it is not formatted. Period. If you are successfully using a card, it has been formatted already.

Most new cards ship un-formatted. If you have a card that has already been used and has data on it, it is already formatted. If you select to run the format command on it again, it will reformat the card, wiping all the current data off of it. Use this command with caution!
    04-20-09 10:07 AM
    I finally went back to Walmart today and found out the guy sold me the wrong card for my phone..they fixed it today and now I am a very happy camper!
    What was "wrong" about it? Your BlackBerry should be able to handle any MicroSDHC card they sell at Wal-Mart. What size card was it?

Problem analysis:

Root cause
    1. Shopping at Wal-Mart. Period.
    2. Trusting a Wal-Mart employee with a tech decision.
    3. Not doing your homework and learning enough about your own device. No offense is meant by this, but it really is very important to know about what you are investing in. It also makes it LOADS more fun when you know what you are doing with your own device.
    04-20-09 10:12 AM
    Rrrebo,

That is an excellent explanation and analogy.
    Thankee sai. 2 years of Dell H&SB tech support. I have "non-tech" analogies for EVERYthing.
    04-20-09 10:13 AM
    The device (computer, BlackBerry, etc...) needs to have a system to organize the data. Formatting creates a File Allocation Table (FAT), which is like a table of contents or roadmap. Every time something is stored on the card, an entry for it is written to the FAT so it can be retrieved later. The FAT takes up space. The larger the media card, the more space the FAT requires. This is why your empty 2 GB card shows 1.8 GB free, why your empty 4 GB card shows 3.6 GB free, etc...
    Thank you for finally answering a question I've been asking for years, to no avail! I'll also go ahead and expect that the new 4 GB card for my BB will only have 3.6 GB free ... after I format it, of course! LOL

Man, do I love these forums

Last edited by Coo; 04-20-09 at 10:21 AM.
    04-20-09 10:17 AM
    Hi there,

You seem to be clued in with everything blackberry, can you help me?

I have just purchased an 8gb memory card for my curve as advised in store that was the largest card my phone can take. I have connected the device to my laptop and opened my computer to click on the blackberry which then advised i needed to format it before using. So i formatted the card and it now says it has a total capacity of 3.3gb??? This is both in the device properties shown on my computer and on the handset. 3.3bg total space and 3.3 gb free space. Surely an 8gb card should be left with more memory than 3.3gb after formatting??

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Steffi
    04-28-09 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";