BBM 7 is not the problem, my friends and family have no problem telling me when they can and cannot talk, it's only polite to do so.

It's far more rude to hide or pretend you never read a message. If you want to pretend you might as well not read it until you're ready to read it.

Don't be a coward.

Pretending I never read a message from my wife means I'm lying to her.
    12-13-12 03:31 AM
    It's OK love. I have been getting quite an interesting perspective of how that mind works......and that quote about not being afraid to hurt people's feelings explains quite a lot.

People DO care about people's feelings. It's called being considerate. We're all taught that in kindergarten and in families and in church.

Well, I should say MOST of us...

It's not about "being afraid." It's about expecting ENHANCEMENTS out of *enhancements.*

But then again, nuance is lost on bulls running rampant in china shops.
    It goes both ways, a persistent caller(that you all seem to be afraid of) at inconvenient times is not considerate or does not care for your feelings and have to be told to stop, hiding is not the way.
    12-13-12 03:37 AM
    Now were Getting into personal values,morals, and views. I'm not getting involved
    12-13-12 03:47 AM
    BBM 7 is not the problem, my friends and family have no problem telling me when they can and cannot talk, it's only polite to do so.

It's far more rude to hide or pretend you never read a message. If you want to pretend you might as well not read it until you're ready to read it.

Don't be a coward.

I think you're missing the point.... If the message is something you want to hear, then there's no "pretending" required. If it's something annoying or whatever, then yeah, I might pretend not to have seen it. The whole point is to skirt the issue. In my silly hemorrhoid example, maybe you don't want to bother, but don't want to seem like a ****. I'm not saying that's ideal behavior, I'm saying it's something people do.

Pretending to not have read a message from a spouse is similar to telling him/her that their mother-in-law is wonderful woman.... it's a lie, but people do it.
    12-13-12 04:08 AM
    I think you're missing the point.... If the message is something you want to hear, then there's no "pretending" required. If it's something annoying or whatever, then yeah, I might pretend not to have seen it. The whole point is to skirt the issue. In my silly hemorrhoid example, maybe you don't want to bother, but don't want to seem like a ****. I'm not saying that's ideal behavior, I'm saying it's something people do.

Pretending to not have read a message from a spouse is similar to telling him/her that their mother-in-law is wonderful woman.... it's a lie, but people do it.
    On the other hand you could grow a pair just joking
    12-13-12 04:23 AM
    it is a make or break for me... i have over 180 bbm contacts... i already have cuzins saying "your green light is on, I'm coming over to chill out".... ******* ridiculous...

RIM blows!! I need a phone asap
    Have to teach some people the easy bits...sighs

Don't open the door they'll soon learn.
    12-13-12 06:50 AM
    I am a newbie so dont bite my head off!!
    Could you not solve the problem by solving/understanding another problem?
    My Bbm voice wont connect? Why, i dont know? But my Wifi is connected.
    Judging by some of the comments on other threads it should be as simple as a few settings.
    Maybe if you Geniuses (no disrespect) could pinpoint the exact problem why i/we cannot connect, you could reverse it, switch of Voice but still use Wifi?
    Last edited by GLindeque; 12-13-12 at 07:54 AM.
    12-13-12 07:21 AM
    I'm coming dangerously close to shutting this down. Ya'll insist on twisting words, and inserting attitudes.

You can make BBMV silent, downgrade to an older version, delete the irritating contacts, and support a feature enhancement you don't feel necessary.

You can all get along
    kbz1960 and pkcable like this.
    12-13-12 08:08 AM
    How about agreeing to disagree?

Joy
    12-13-12 08:33 AM
    Wow... This is just silly.

You don't want to be bothered by people you don't like? DELETE THEM.
    You don't want to certain peolpe can tell if you are on WiFi or not? DELTE THEM
    You don't want to "hurt" other people feelings? Then explain to them than when you don't answers is because you CAN'T.

Really, BBM Voice it's a great feature, if you are having so many issues with it, well, downgrade to BBM 6 and problem fixed. Geez.
    12-13-12 08:41 AM
    I am a newbie so dont bite my head off!!
    Could you not solve the problem by solving/understanding another problem?
    My Bbm voice wont connect? Why, i dont know? But my Wifi is connected.
    Judging by some of the comments on other threads it should be as simple as a few settings.
    Maybe if you Geniuses (no disrespect) could pinpoint the exact problem why i/we cannot connect, you could reverse it, switch of Voice but still use Wifi?
    Reset your router, delete the connection on your , connect again.

Appreciate the thought, but I doubt there's a solution for this topic there.
    12-13-12 08:42 AM
    Folks, as you know, RIM does appreciate the fan base, pays attention to BetaZoners, and does all they can to ensure what's desired is implemented. Heck, on occasion they even lurk our humble abodes.

I've been informed from my hair stylist (they are Canadian after all), that RIM is steadfast working to resolve this issue. It was their intent a busy status would prevent BBMVs from coming through from the get-go. Be patient, a maintenance upgrade will be coming.

In the meantime, tell your cuz I'm available, bring donuts.

Yes, I was kidding about the hair stylist.
    How I know what I know, you'll never know.
    kbz1960, DocDRM and Ecm like this.
    12-13-12 10:08 AM
    Well played!

BTW - Your navy text is difficult to read on device when the "Mobile Beta" theme is used...
    12-13-12 10:32 AM
    Don't be a coward.
    Look, we are not discussing moral issues or why somebody wants to have the ability to turn-off or be unavailable on BBM Voice on WiFi. We are discussing a feature-request. Clearly, lot of people want this feature (or it won't be one of the most requested feature). If you don't want to use this feature, that's fine, do not use it (if/when it's made available). If you don't want a feature, don't vote for it, but questioning people's moral values, calling them cowards etc is uncalled for and is really not the topic of this thread.

If you think those of us requesting this feature are coward or have 'bigger problems', then so be it. It doesn't diminish ourneed for this feature
    I've been informed from my hair stylist (they are Canadian after all), that RIM is steadfast working to resolve this issue. It was their intent a busy status would prevent BBMVs from coming through from the get-go. Be patient, a maintenance upgrade will be coming.
    Thank you very much for this piece of news.
    12-13-12 10:48 AM
    I've been informed from my hair stylist (they are Canadian after all), that RIM is steadfast working to resolve this issue. It was their intent a busy status would prevent BBMVs from coming through from the get-go. Be patient, a maintenance upgrade will be coming....
    How I know what I know, you'll never know.
    Yep. I already knew this 2 weeks ago...
    Which is why I have been confident and repeatedly stated in this thread that this would be addressed in a future iteration...
    Hey chrysaurora. Your statement is totally technically correct, but just wanted to let you know how I was advised it would be fixed. As you probably already know, when you submit an issue, Jessica or Lauren will sometimes respond directly to you via email to get more details. During one of those exchanges (about a totally unrelated issue) I also mentioned how this was getting on my nerves. That's when I was told that they are looking into it. So, you're correct, nothing official yet, but confident they are looking into it.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...7/#post7755120
    12-13-12 11:25 AM
    it is a make or break for me... i have over 180 bbm contacts... i already have cuzins saying "your green light is on, I'm coming over to chill out".... ******* ridiculous...

RIM blows!! I need a phone asap
    Remember when there was a time before cell phones and people simply dropped by? Or they called and said "hey.... I'm coming over" using a telephone? At least they're telling you they're coming... you can always say no.

Why do your post's have to end in such a defamitory manner?
    12-13-12 12:21 PM
    This really is an amusing thread. How do you block someone that has your phone number from calling you? You can install a third party app to do this, but they can still leave voicemails, text, etc. BBM gives you significantly more control over this, and people are still bothered by it. Try reaching out to RIM on twitter and see if you can get a response from BBHelp or the like. But I dont personally see an issue with this. Maybe I am just too easy going?
    12-13-12 12:43 PM
    This really is an amusing thread. How do you block someone that has your phone number from calling you? You can install a third party app to do this, but they can still leave voicemails, text, etc. BBM gives you significantly more control over this, and people are still bothered by it.
    It's a little different, because of the green light. I think if the green light didn't exist, there would be less of an issue. Some people (rightly or wrongly) believe it's an intrusion into their privacy. With a phone call, if you don't answer, the person on the other side really can't assume anything, maybe no signal, maybe phone is off, etc., etc.. With a green light, the easy assumption is that you're purposefully dodging their calls. Also, it could potentially give away your location, because obviously, you're somewhere Wifi is available.
    12-13-12 12:59 PM
    It's a little different, because of the green light. I think if the green light didn't exist, there would be less of an issue. Some people (rightly or wrongly) believe it's an intrusion into their privacy. With a phone call, if you don't answer, the person on the other side really can't assume anything, maybe no signal, maybe phone is off, etc., etc.. With a green light, the easy assumption is that you're purposefully dodging their calls. Also, it could potentially give away your location, because obviously, you're somewhere Wifi is available.
    Not necessarily, just means you are in a WiFi area. It does not give any location at all, plus with video chat coming over 4G this will be present any 4G area. Think of how prevalent WiFi is. I could be anywhere in just about any major city, at any of the thousands of starbucks or barns and nobles, etc etc etc. This is like complaining that people can see when a BBM get delivered so they know your phone is on and in a location of coverage. Oh what if i turn my phone off at night, and then when i turn it on, people can see the BBMs deliver so know my phone is on. Its a tad ridiculous to contemplate that. Keeping in mind you CAN be tracked via the GPS built into the device lol. We are living in an increasingly more connected world. Either break out the tin foil hats, or deal with the realities of it. If you dont want people to know you are in a WiFi area, then either dont have them on your list, or downgrade your BBM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-13-12 01:04 PM
    If you dont want people to know you are in a WiFi area, then either dont have them on your list, or downgrade your BBM.
    Or RIM can give us the feature to appear invisible (or turn it off or whatever term you want to use) on BBM Voice and yet be able to use wifi. If you don't want that feature, that's fine, you don't have to use it. But clearly, we have thought of our use case scenarios and we'd rather have that feature than not.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-13-12 01:06 PM
    OMG! This thread is still going?
    I wonder why there are so many opposed to having options?!
    Options are good thing!
    Options are what have set BlackBerry devices apart from other platforms for ages.

This has already been unofficially confirmed by myself, MODS, and others.
    What is with all the resistance with something that's going to happen?!
    Will you stop using BBM7 if they add the option?!
    Will these people now Boycott RIM for adding an additional privacy/cost saving option to BBM7 or something?!

Beating dead horses...........
    12-13-12 01:32 PM
    OMG! This thread is still going?
    I wonder why there are so many opposed to having options?! - Not opposed to options, just dont see why people are up in arms and "RIM sucks" etc over it
    Options are good thing! - They can be, not always. In this case I dont see any harm
    Options are what have set BlackBerry devices apart from other platforms for ages. - Not with you on this but not really worthwhile for the thread

This has already been unofficially confirmed by myself, MODS, and others. - No arguments to this
    What is with all the resistance with something that's going to happen?! - No resistance, offering workarounds for those that complain it isnt there
    Will you stop using BBM7 if they add the option?! - Nope i use it now without issue. Proper question would be would people stop using it if they dont get the option?
    Will these people now Boycott RIM for adding an additional privacy/cost saving option to BBM7 or something?! - See above

Beating dead horses........... - They squeak a bit when you do... (obviously a jest)

As stated, dont understand why people are up in arms over this. Seems rather trivial compared to actual tracking that can be done
    12-13-12 01:39 PM
    Not necessarily, just means you are in a WiFi area. It does not give any location at all, plus with video chat coming over 4G this will be present any 4G area. Think of how prevalent WiFi is. I could be anywhere in just about any major city, at any of the thousands of starbucks or barns and nobles, etc etc etc. This is like complaining that people can see when a BBM get delivered so they know your phone is on and in a location of coverage. Oh what if i turn my phone off at night, and then when i turn it on, people can see the BBMs deliver so know my phone is on. Its a tad ridiculous to contemplate that. Keeping in mind you CAN be tracked via the GPS built into the device lol. We are living in an increasingly more connected world. Either break out the tin foil hats, or deal with the realities of it. If you dont want people to know you are in a WiFi area, then either dont have them on your list, or downgrade your BBM.
    I said it could potentially give away your location, not that it will, and it could potentially lead to misunderstandings. Let's say for example, I'm at work during typical work hours. If I tell someone I already left, and they see the green light, they can easily conclude that I'm lying to them. Whether they're right in drawing that conclusion is another matter, but this is the conclusion they will draw.

Let's forget about all the potential pitfalls or intrusions or whatevers. It all boils down to one question. Do you want, or do you not want having something like an "invisibility" mode? If you don't want it, fine. If you do want it, that's acknowledging there is something there. Whether it's something major or not.... that's really for the individual user to decide.
    12-13-12 01:40 PM
    The response that stands out to me the most is this...
    Proper question would be would people stop using it if they dont get the option?
    I may be missing something, but the option is not currently there anyway.
    People who asked for the option are currently using it.

If RIM is working on having that very same option, how is this the "proper" question? Moot point.....
    12-13-12 01:45 PM
    Or RIM can give us the feature to appear invisible (or turn it off or whatever term you want to use) on BBM Voice and yet be able to use wifi. If you don't want that feature, that's fine, you don't have to use it. But clearly, we have thought of our use case scenarios and we'd rather have that feature than not.
    RIM will, honest. In the meantime, there's but one solution, and bickering isn't it.

@SA - quit making sense
    12-13-12 01:46 PM
127 ... 3456