[b][color=#000066]I wasn't trying to derail the topic, but express another opinion, and as you see......
    http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...G93bi5naWY.gif Yes! Being able to control it on a per-contact basis would be awesome. I totally agree. Now, would that mean others couldn't voice call, or just couldn't see they could?
    Both.

For me higher priority is not being voice called. If I'm asleep I don't want to have someone across the pond give me a call just because it's breakfast time there. Unless it's specific contacts.

In addition, I want to keep my availability to WiFi invisible. People get their feelings hurt....it may be inconvenient for me to take a call at a particular moment and I don't want to have to explain myself. I want to choose who sees me near WiFi and I want to choose who calls me at any given point in time.

For this, I like the Do Not Disturb setting on iOS. I can choose to go on Do Not Disturb at night except for specific contacts to whom I give the ability to contact me 24/7.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-12-12 at 01:22 PM.
    12-12-12 12:57 PM
    I never said you were trying to do anything. I said that that feature was introduced into the thread by you at a time when no one mentioned it and it was not the original topic.

I also never said that feature wasn't desirable. I think it is. I'm saying that the original topic was to be able to turn the feature off.

I think RIM is working on a solution and if that solution is a per contact profile then so be it. If not, then have the ability to turn it off or have an invisibility type of mode.

I just want something that can rectify the situation at hand.
    12-12-12 01:00 PM
    maybe we should be asking the King of OS tweaks to look into fixing this for us!

Oh SULTAN, calling Sultan Al Sooz . . . .
    BigBadWulf and xiaohuaxing like this.
    12-12-12 01:04 PM
    I never said you were trying to do anything. I said that that feature was introduced into the thread by you at a time when no one mentioned it and it was not the original topic.

I also never said that feature wasn't desirable. I think it is. I'm saying that the original topic was to be able to turn the feature off.

I think RIM is working on a solution and if that solution is a per contact profile then so be it. If not, then have the ability to turn it off or have an invisibility type of mode.

A Klingon cloaking device.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-12-12 01:08 PM
    What's the big freaking deal, the same etiquette for mobile phone calls applies to BBM Voice too. We juts got this amazing new option (I've already racked up over 2 hours) and now we're asking to turn it off?

You can turn it off the same way you deal with normal phone calls - turn your phone or your signal off.

NOBODY gets offended if somebody doesn't answer.

Asking to make yourself invisible defeats the purpose of it all.

I just can't believe people. After all you do have the option to set your profile to BUSY!!!
    12-12-12 01:09 PM
    Both.

For me higher priority is not being voice called. If I'm asleep I don't want to have someone across the pond give me a call just because it's breakfast time there. Unless it's specific contacts.

In addition, I want to keep my availability to WiFi invisible. People get their feelings hurt....it may be inconvenient for me to take a call at a particular moment and I don't want to have to explain myself. I want to choose who sees me near WiFi and I want to choose who calls me at any given point in time.

For this, I like the Do Not Disturb setting on iOS. I can choose to go on Do Not Disturb at night except for specific contacts to whom I give the ability to contact me 24/7.
    You can do a "do not disturb" now, by having only specific contacts audible at all times. I do that now, but unfortunately only phone and email/text. It could be soooooo much better.

Yes, actually you did.

Our ideas are similar but different (finally, a good use of a useless term)
    Were I to care, I'd want fine tuned control, not just a blanket setting, that wouldn't stop anyone from calling me anyway, or would stop everyone.
    12-12-12 01:28 PM
    You can do a "do not disturb" now, by having only specific contacts audible at all times. I do that now, but unfortunately only phone and email/text. It could be soooooo much better.

Our ideas are similar but different (finally, a good use of a useless term)
    Were I to care, I'd want fine tuned control, not just a blanket setting, that wouldn't stop anyone from calling me anyway, or would stop everyone.
    Now you got me.
    I see the potential, but in its current iteration it does not afford granularity.
    You don't need a ten megaton bomb to kill a housefly.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-12-12 at 01:45 PM.
    12-12-12 01:32 PM
    BBW-I never ever said that anyone was "trying" (intentionaly) to do anything. I would love to see someone quote me where I said that. I am saying that by bringing up that feature was by default (defacto) derailing the thread from the original request. That cannot be disputed. Not that anyone purposefully was trying to do so. There is a difference. Don't read too much into something that is not there to begin with.

I just want this situation fixed. I don't care how.

Others-The suggestion by others of turning off my device or signal is actually defeating the purpose of having it. You can't make a claim to have all encompassing communication whether wanted or otherwise, then say turn everything off. That's an oxymoron of an argument. That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see why when a request for something is made there is always the resistant attitude of "if it aint there, we don't need it anyway" that's the same exact attitude that got us/RIM where we are trying to come back from today.

There are threads here where people were asking about VOIP and/or VIDEO calls via BBM and there was soooo much resistance because people felt like it wasn't needed. This is progress. RIM is moving into the future. Now a lot of these people suddenly think its great to have calls over WiFi. Which is it?
    chrysaurora likes this.
    12-12-12 02:35 PM
    BBW-I never ever said that anyone was "trying" (intentionaly) to do anything. I would love to see someone quote me where I said that. I am saying that by bringing up that feature was by default (defacto) derailing the thread from the original request. That cannot be disputed. Not that anyone purposefully was trying to do so. There is a difference. Don't read too much into something that is not there to begin with.

I just want this situation fixed. I don't care how.

Others-The suggestion by others of turning off my device or signal is actually defeating the purpose of having it. You can't make a claim to have all encompassing communication whether wanted or otherwise, then say turn everything off. That's an oxymoron of an argument. That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see why when a request for something is made there is always the resistant attitude of "if it aint there, we don't need it anyway" that's the same exact attitude that got us/RIM where we are trying to come back from today.

There are threads here where people were asking about VOIP and/or VIDEO calls via BBM and there was soooo much resistance because people felt like it wasn't needed. This is progress. RIM is moving into the future. Now a lot of these people suddenly think its great to have calls over WiFi. Which is it?
    Ya know.....the answer is simply that having a less than an all embracing rah rah sim boom bah opinion of RIM is inherently bad for a select few.

I won't swallow something simply because RIM releases it.

If this were my team, they would be back to a x.1.x.x release. You don't release something that breaks something else. Granular profiles has been a BB strength, this takes it away. All or nothing. That is poor execution in any development.

MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-12-12 02:54 PM
    I get the impression that with the addition of BBM Voice suddenly some people that used bbm for some extra marital sexting are suddenly very worried they'll get a call right?
    12-12-12 03:10 PM
    By the way, I just found a partial solution, if you set your profile to phone calls only bbm voice will not ring, led will not flash and nothing else will ring either.
    12-12-12 03:14 PM
    By the way, I just found a partial solution, if you set your profile to phone calls only bbm voice will not ring, led will not flash and nothing else will ring either.
    I don't think that's what they're looking for. What they want is for people to know they're not available, like being invisible on Skype.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-12-12 03:20 PM
    What's the big freaking deal, the same etiquette for mobile phone calls applies to BBM Voice too. We juts got this amazing new option (I've already racked up over 2 hours) and now we're asking to turn it off?

You can turn it off the same way you deal with normal phone calls - turn your phone or your signal off.

NOBODY gets offended if somebody doesn't answer.

Asking to make yourself invisible defeats the purpose of it all.

I just can't believe people. After all you do have the option to set your profile to BUSY!!!
    What's the deal with you, man? Few days ago you were arguing how Skype/NetFlix are unimportant! Today, you are arguing against invisible feature!
    Clearly, there are a lot of people that want these apps and these features! If it wasn't so, Skype/NetFlix won't be among top downloaded apps in other platforms. You don't want to use them, don't!
    If people didn't want invisible feature in BBM Voice, it would not have become one of the *most requested feature* in feature request page for BBM Voice BetaZone. If you don't want to be invisible, don't be! But LOTs of people want it. So many people want it that it's become one of the most requested feature!
    Moonbase0ne and MADBRADNYC like this.
    12-12-12 03:22 PM
    I get the impression that with the addition of BBM Voice suddenly some people that used bbm for some extra marital sexting are suddenly very worried they'll get a call right?
    Someone thinks himself funny.

Ya'll need to lighten up and enjoy yourselves. If the feature doesn't work for in it's present form, downgrade till it's improved.

I must say, I love the emotion on CrackBerry. It really is more than just a smartphone.
    12-12-12 04:26 PM

Ya'll need to lighten up and enjoy yourselves. If the feature doesn't work for in it's present form, downgrade till it's improved.

I must say, I love the emotion on CrackBerry. It really is more than just a smartphone.
    Haha, yup, there's like an emotional attachment between RIM, BlackBerry and the users. Can't blame anyone though, using my BB hours a day everyday I would be very upset if anything happened to it.
    12-12-12 04:58 PM

Well I find the insinuation that people who dislike the app as released do so because they are engaging in extra marital sexting to be insulting.

12-12-12 05:08 PM
    I love how in the Whatsapp thread we had, BD was saying how terrible it was because he didn't want people to have his phone number and be able to call him. Now that I see BBM Voice pretty much allows the same thing, it's the greatest thing ever, and people shouldn't complain about it.. Too funny.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-12-12 05:55 PM
    Gotta say - been following this throughout the day and getting a little bit of a chuckle out of it. Like BBW said - RIM/BB/CB can create some intense emotions among friends!

My chuckle comes from seeing lots of folks I read, learn from, and whose opinions I trust seemingly missing each others valid points and taking small comments out of whack, and encouraging some pretty serious all or none (both directions) opinions of this new feature.

I'd bet we will see options soon for "not available" / "opt out" whether it be for individual BBM contacts or just in general. AND as I posted earlier, if there is a solution immediately available to devs, I'd bet Sultan will have it in AOSLED in no time. It's just a temporary problem, anyway. Nothing that Jan 30 ( Feb xx) 2013 won't fix anyway (hopefully fixed by then).

Can't we all just . . . get along?
    MADBRADNYC, BigBadWulf and pkcable like this.
    12-12-12 06:19 PM
    Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP: How to turn off BBM WiFi Calling?-ren-stimpy-happy-joy-thumb-328x311-542.jpg
    12-12-12 06:27 PM
    I'd bet we will see options soon for "not available" / "opt out" whether it be for individual BBM contacts or just in general....
    It's just a temporary problem, anyway. Nothing that Jan 30 ( Feb xx) 2013 won't fix anyway (hopefully fixed by then).
    THIS!!!!!!!
    I think RIM is soooo great with security that they will not allow this for very long... They will fix it!

Why there is so much resistance to additional options is beyond me, except to say QB is correct in her response to me.
    Some claim to be with RIM, but in their steadfastness to stay stagnant, they are assisting RIM in a expedited dirt nap.
    If you accept mediocre, you will always get mediocre.
    A closed mouth does NOT get fed.

I want RIM to have a sense of excellence. Not to say "There's room for a third player".
    They need to strive to be numero uno!

I said in one of my BBM groups that criticism from a friend or loved one is not meant to hurt.
    It is meant to make them as good as their great potential can be.
    I criticize my children harshly. BECAUSE I LOVE THEM.
    I don't want them to make the same mistakes I have or others have.
    You don't have to get burned on the stove. You can just watch what happens when someone else touches it.
    Learn from it, so you don't have to go through the pain yourself!

This "we don't need that attitude" is just bringing us back to the days of Mike & Jim.
    12-12-12 06:39 PM
    I love how in the Whatsapp thread we had, BD was saying how terrible it was because he didn't want people to have his phone number and be able to call him. Now that I see BBM Voice pretty much allows the same thing, it's the greatest thing ever, and people shouldn't complain about it.. Too funny.
    Please get with the program...

Anything RIM releases is good, flawless, brilliant, life altering, world changing, the Second Coming, Valhalla, Paradise...to be accepted without question....

Anything anyone else releases is terrible, flawed, dull, depressing, leading to world conflict, the rise of The Beast, H3ll.....to be discounted as absolute heresy.....

I'm amazed you haven't learned that yet.
    MADBRADNYC and Rickroller like this.
    12-12-12 06:42 PM
    I've always said BBM is my private club, I have no worries in that respect thank you.

Besides, I can always get a new BlackBerry with a new PIN, it's a lot harder to change a number each time, I hope you can see the difference.

Edit you can easily block people on BBM, not so easy to block a phone number.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-12-12 at 06:56 PM.
    12-12-12 06:43 PM
    Well I find the insinuation that people who dislike the app as released do so because they are engaging in extra marital sexting to be insulting.

I wasn't insinuating on anybody, more of a general remark, overall, not just people in this thread. I stand by my statement and I don't have anything against against a off button, i realise some will need it. I don't.

It's a well known fact bbm is used for sexting hence all the pin sharing sites.
    12-12-12 06:52 PM
    Gotta say - been following this throughout the day and getting a little bit of a chuckle out of it. Like BBW said - RIM/BB/CB can create some intense emotions among friends!

My chuckle comes from seeing lots of folks I read, learn from, and whose opinions I trust seemingly missing each others valid points and taking small comments out of whack, and encouraging some pretty serious all or none (both directions) opinions of this new feature.

I'd bet we will see options soon for "not available" / "opt out" whether it be for individual BBM contacts or just in general. AND as I posted earlier, if there is a solution immediately available to devs, I'd bet Sultan will have it in AOSLED in no time. It's just a temporary problem, anyway. Nothing that Jan 30 ( Feb xx) 2013 won't fix anyway (hopefully fixed by then).

Can't we all just . . . get along?
    Thanks Doc!

Please all of you, read that again.

Take a deep breath

RIM will continue to improve BBM, as they have through out it's existence.

There is a huge leap forward on the horizon.

We can survive this.

BeBold and tell your cuz you're at Starbucks.
    kbz1960 and DocDRM like this.
    12-12-12 08:15 PM
    Edit you can easily block people on BBM, not so easy to block a phone number.
    Yes.. Blocking numbers is VERY difficult to do.. Much easier to just buy a new phone with a different PIN

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-12-12 08:31 PM
127 12345 ...