I think the GPS function on my BB might be broken ...

when i go to the control panel:

GPS Data Source none

GPS Services location off

Location Data enabled

problem is ... the first two can't be changed ... there are no other options.

Google Maps works but JaredCo's NotWhileDriving doesn't ... 9which is what made me think there was a GPS problem.

Thoughts?
    02-05-11 05:04 PM
    Welcome to he forums...

Now I hope you have a 8530, because only that one has a GPS chip. Options > About if you can't tell.

Unless you o have a 8310 and posted on the wrong board by accident. In this case, it might be either your carrier locked the GPS or your plan does not incluse GPS services. If I remember correctly, if you go to Options and type test you can try to fix the issue.

Good luck.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-05-11 at 06:35 PM.
    02-05-11 06:32 PM
    Options / Status / and type test. You won't see the letters on the screen, but you'll be prompted to run the internal self-test. One module tests the GPS.
    georgeniebling likes this.
    02-05-11 09:03 PM
    it's an 8520 ... my bad ...
    02-06-11 01:57 PM
    I don't see a test for GPS but I'm running the various radio-related ones ... is there a specific test I'm looking for?
    02-06-11 02:05 PM
    The 8520 doesn't have a GPS receiver, so you won't have a test for it. Google Maps is calculating your approximate location based on the cell tower you are using, it can do that without a GPS receiver. Apps which require an actual GPS signal won't work. The only solution is to get a different BlackBerry, or buy an external GPS receiver that connects via bluetooth. There are models available in the CrackBerry store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD