So, I had a blackberry tour but it got stolen. Then my boyfriend got me a Palm Pre but I didn't like it. So, I sold it on e-bay. (He got it on e-bay). Now I'm stuck with a dumbphone (LG Venus) and I didn't have insurance on my phone so I'm SOL. I really don't like Verizon as much as I liked at&t, but my boyfriend and I are on a plan together and we both have ETF's that are $350 each. I called Verizon and the rep told me that although I have a dumbphone now, I still would have to pay the expensive termination fee (which is ridiculous).

Should I go to at&t and have a line on Verizon, as well? I really can't affort the ETF right now, and it would be easier to split the money up with different bills than pay $350 AND pay for a new phone.

I don't want to buy anything on ebay because I don't like the tour or the Storm, so I'm out of luck in that area, too.

The only bb that I'm finding interest in is the 9800 slider which isn't even out yet, or the 9700.

I'm so confused and I don't know what to do. I'm familiar with phones and plans but everything has gotten very confusing and I'm looking for some help. Thanks, guys!
    05-15-10 11:29 PM
    I know this isn't helpful. But at least you HAVE a phone. Imo, if I got a palm pre for free... I wouldn't complain. I don't see why everyone is so reliable on cellphones. We're all greedy (including myself). You should not pay the etf. I'm sure you can wait until you get a chance to upgrade. For now, I would be thankful. But that's just my opinion good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-10 11:51 PM
    Verizon will screw you any chance they get. i would go with the Tour or Storm.
    BB is better than no BB.
    05-16-10 12:24 AM
    Verizon will screw you any chance they get. i would go with the Tour or Storm.
    BB is better than no BB.
    05-16-10 12:34 AM
    You could find something like a used Touch Pro and see if you can put Android on there.
    05-16-10 01:59 AM
    just wait out your contract with Verizon then cancel if you still dont like it. It cost a lot to break your contract.

Verizon is getting a new Bold 9650 in couple weeks hopfully, so thats something you should look into as well
    05-16-10 06:08 AM
    I still have two years on my contract

Anyone else?
    05-17-10 06:58 PM
    I still have two years on my contract

Anyone else?
    If you want a smartphone buy a curve 8530 ($30.00) Nice little berry or you could see what a HTC DROID ERIS would cost retail ?
    Both are cheaper then your ETF and will be enjoyable. If it's me I would grab a 8530 and rock on.
    05-17-10 07:15 PM
    Not really sure what you think people will be able to offer.

Your options are to pay for a new phone or pay the ETF and go to another carrier.

There's no magic solution.

Either way it s going to cost you money. You signed a contract. It's your obligation. It's not "ridiculous".

If you didn't think that you were going to be able to fulfill the term of your contract you shouldn't have entered into it.
    05-17-10 07:15 PM
    Excuse me, mama. It's my opinion that it's ridiculous. What's ridiculous is that they changed the ETF to double what it should be. I ALREADY pay enough to get data on my device, I don't need to be sucked in when they keep my ETF the same after my phone gets stolen. Your comment is ridiculous go ride your motorcycle somewhere hunny.
    05-17-10 07:52 PM
    Next .......
    05-17-10 08:04 PM
    Unfortunately all decisions have consequences. And yes, I know this sucks.

Honestly though if you like AT&T better and you can afford it, you can buy a refurb Bold 9700 for $24.99 online or a refurb Bold 9000. That's what I would recommend.

Good luck.
    05-17-10 08:15 PM
    Buy a used Blackberry on ebay. It will be a lot cheaper than your ETF.
    05-17-10 08:16 PM
    I don't like any of the blackberrys on verizon, though.
    05-17-10 08:29 PM
    Maybe I just answered my own question. I can cancel on verizon and then switch my number over to at&t and get the Bold 9700 for free on wirefly.

OR should I wait for the slider?
    05-17-10 08:29 PM
    Why don't you grow up and make a decision yourself? My recommendation, if you're careless enough to leave a phone somewhere it will get stolen pay the extra $7 a month and get insurance.
    05-17-10 08:49 PM
    How about we all just simmer down? .

05-17-10 09:21 PM
    With 2 years left it would be cheaper to break the contract.
    05-17-10 09:36 PM
    ETFs exist so that cell providers don't lose money on the subsidized phones they offer new members. The phones actually cost them a lot more than they sell them to new customers for.
    Well, that's what I always thought until I tried to activate an additional old phone I had (in addition to my BlackBerry) and was told that I needed a contract (with the ETF!). I asked why, because I wasn't getting a subsidized phone. The answer: the ETF is on "the line" because the carrier is reserving me "a plan."

05-17-10 10:32 PM
    It's not Verizon's fault you were irresponsible and lost your Berry, nor is it their fault you refused to get insurance. Sorry the Pre wasn't good enough for you. Your response to Motorcycle Mama makes you come off like a spoiled child. Get a job, save some money and buy the phone you want. ETFs exist so that cell providers don't lose money on the subsidized phones they offer new members. The phones actually cost them a lot more than they sell them to new customers for.

I actually have a job. Probably a much better job than you. I'm an editor of a magazine in the city of New York. Heard of it?

My phone got stolen out of my car, maybe you should be a little more respectful to women. I'm obviously no tech geek but I'm trying to figure things out. I don't need your gross comments, calm down.
    05-17-10 10:55 PM
    Was the line new also or did it already exist? As far as I know with most of the carriers when you open a new line you have to sign a contract with an ETF.

One of them recently introduce a no contract line/plan I believe-can't remember which one though.
    If I remember correctly, I asked about two different ways. One was to add it to my existing plan (with a different number, of course), the other was a new plan. I would have done whicher was more practical; I was going to give the phone to my sister

05-17-10 10:57 PM
    You will have to pay the ETF to verizon. Porting your current number to AT&T will cancel out your Verizon. They will know once they receive the notification you switched carriers. If you want a new number you can just go to AT&T and still pay on the Verizon till your contract is up or perhaps maybe a family member would take over your line and use your phone and you won't have to worry about paying two contract bills. And if you do get another BB wherever you may decide, it is wise to get insurance. You wouldn't be in the situation you are in had you had insurance.
    And please, don't get in my face. I am just trying to give you sound advice. I used to sell wireless. We don't dictate the early termination fees and the carriers have them because people in the past have taken advantage. All the carriers have the ETF's and if you want to change carriers simply because you don't like the phones on Verizon make sure the coverage is decent. Nothing is worse than liking a phone but not having the coverage to back it up. I know people who have AT&T because they have to have to the iphone and their coverage is horrible. They admit it is horrible but they love their phone. I am lucky. I like Verizon's BB lineup and they do have the best coverage.......their Curve 8530 is a great little phone.
    05-17-10 11:00 PM
    I actually have a job. Probably a much better job than you. I'm an editor of a magazine in the city of New York. Heard of it?

My phone got stolen out of my car, maybe you should be a little more respectful to women. I'm obviously no tech geek but I'm trying to figure things out. I don't need your gross comments, calm down.
    Wow, nothing like being rude about it. Why don't you tell us what magazine you work for since you are the editor. Can't say if I heard of the magazine if you don't tell us.

And don't tell us to calm down...you are the one that came us for advice
    05-17-10 11:09 PM
    Maybe I just answered my own question. I can cancel on verizon and then switch my number over to at&t and get the Bold 9700 for free on wirefly.

OR should I wait for the slider?
    Personally, if I was going to leave a company to get a BB on ATT I would wait to see what the new BB Slider will be like and what OS 6 will offer. If you get a 9700 right now, you may want the new BB Slider that is rumored to be coming out soon.

Also, to the people who are saying ATT service sucks, that may be true, for you. I have used other carriers and their service wasn't good for me but ATT seems to be working fine, otherwise, I wouldn't have stayed with them since the BB 8700 was released. I am not saying their service is the best, or even great, I am just saying that obviously, as with all carriers, it will work for some where they need it, and not for others.

To the OP, I would say test ATT and see if it works for you. I think they give you either 15 or 30 days to decide. Then, try other options you may have for service if you don't like it. But, take your time with this one, as I am sure you wouldn't want to sign another 2 year contract only to regret that decision soon after.

-GoodLuck
    05-17-10 11:13 PM
    If you don't want ALL advice (good or bad) then don't post in a open forum. With that said, you should do what you want to do. If you want to drop vzw and go to att then do that. If you don't then don't and just get a vzw phone. If you are an editor of a magazine then it shouldn't be an issue for you to spend a few hundred dollars on an eft or a new phone. I, along with others, suggest insurance next time. If it was stolen out of your car then why don't you call your car insurance provider and see if it is covered?
    05-17-10 11:21 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD