Alright here's my situation, long story short I'm relocating to Toronto from USA due to a job, never had a BB before and am thinking about getting one to use in Canada. I did my research and this is what I've gathered and please correct me if I get anything wrong: I prefer a GSM phone, one that uses a SIM card, so the 9500 is the one to go with, this would pretty much exclude buying a phone here with Verizon and bring it with me up north. With that said Vodafone is the way to go, but I need one that come without a contract obviously and this is where my question comes in: First of all is this a good way of doing it? Getting a plan with a company in Canada first and then swap their SIM card into a Storm 9500? Second where can I find a BB Storm that's usable in Canada without signing a contract with the vendor? Also I've heard there was a patch of "early-release" BB Storms (Beta?) that have some bug and what not in them, if I was to purchase a BB what can I do to avoid getting the "beta" version of it? Thanx ahead for any useful info.

-BM
    11-17-08 10:04 AM
    ok your post was a little confusing but ill try to answer what i can.

1. If you want a GSM phone with a SIM card you will have to sign up with Rogers Wireless...that is the only provider, the other two (Bell and Telus are CDMA)

2. If you want to purchase a phone to bring into Canada, buying one with a contract in the U.S. is stupid and will cost you a fortune

3. If you want to use a BB Storm in Toronto you have two options: buy an unlocked Storm which will probably run you $1000 and then get a plan with Rogers and put the sim card in OR get a plan and phone with either Bell or Telus (both of which carry it and are CDMA)

im afraid those are your only options
    11-17-08 11:31 AM
    3. If you want to use a BB Storm in Toronto you have two options: buy an unlocked Storm which will probably run you $1000 and then get a plan with Rogers and put the sim card in

Thanks for the quick reply, that is the option I'm leaning towards atm, the $1000 isn't a big deal for me but where can I get an unlocked phone? I've thought about Ebay but am worry about being scammed for it since I'd have to purchase this from out of country, any suggestions?
    11-17-08 12:07 PM
    most (maybe all) european phones are unlocked and since the phone has already been released in the UK, and its a world phone so it will work on any frequency, i would buy it from Vodaphone or whoever is selling it over there

google it, im sure there are more than enough sites selling one
    11-17-08 06:20 PM
    most (maybe all) european phones are unlocked and since the phone has already been released in the UK, and its a world phone so it will work on any frequency, i would buy it from Vodaphone or whoever is selling it over there

google it, im sure there are more than enough sites selling one
    One issue, I'm pretty sure a european model would come with a "QWERTZ" keyboard and not a "QWERTY" format like North Americans are.
    11-18-08 04:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD