I'm really hoping someone can help me as Orange as less than useless.

I have a Blackberry 8320 in the UK, provided by Orange. My home internet provider is through Tiscali and I have a Linksys wireless router. For the purposes of trying to make this work I have removed the WEP security from the wireless in the house so it now an open network.

When I search for wireless networks via the BB it finds mine and I am able to connect to it. So, "HomeNetwork" appears OK on the BB screen. However, the wifi icon remains greyed out and I cannot get away from GPRS or EDGE. I think what I'm looking for is UMA? The reception in my house is awful for Orange so it would be great if I could link up to the wireless to remedy the problem for making calls.

Can anyone in the world suggest what I can do to make my BB start picking up the network so it changes to UMA?

Finally, please reply in relatively layman's terms.

Thanks!
    05-10-08 05:08 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Orange is one of the carries that supports Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA).

When it is working correctly, your EDGE display will be replaced by UMA and all your calls and data will use the internet instead of Oranges connection.

You are able to connect to the Wifi network, now just a matter of configuring the UMA.

Start at Manage Connections. The option button (left of the ball) will pop up a list that included Wi-Fi Options.

That will take you to Wi-Fi Connections. The option button will pop up a list that includes Wi-Fi Diagnostics.

In this window, you should see the details of your Wi-Fi connection. Scroll down a couple pages and find UMA details.

If the serving UNC Address and Security Gateway show numbers, you have at least a partial connection.

Are there any Status messages?
    05-10-08 05:19 PM
    Congrats on your first post!
    05-10-08 05:25 PM
    I'm really hoping someone can help me as Orange as less than useless.

I have a Blackberry 8320 in the UK, provided by Orange. My home internet provider is through Tiscali and I have a Linksys wireless router. For the purposes of trying to make this work I have removed the WEP security from the wireless in the house so it now an open network.

When I search for wireless networks via the BB it finds mine and I am able to connect to it. So, "HomeNetwork" appears OK on the BB screen. However, the wifi icon remains greyed out and I cannot get away from GPRS or EDGE. I think what I'm looking for is UMA? The reception in my house is awful for Orange so it would be great if I could link up to the wireless to remedy the problem for making calls.

Can anyone in the world suggest what I can do to make my BB start picking up the network so it changes to UMA?

Finally, please reply in relatively layman's terms.

Thanks!
    Your might have to update the firmware on your router
    05-10-08 05:37 PM
    Hi Stoner, thanks for the reply (thanks too to jorgeed for the good wishes).

I'm looking at the wifi diagnostics and it's not looking like there's even a partial connection. Here's what's it's showing:

Wi-Fi Diagnostics (Basic): May 10, 2008 23:48:55 PM

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: HomeNetwork
    SSID: HomeNetwork
    AP MAC Address: 00:13:10:CF:8B:AF
    Security Type: Open
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Signal Level: -60 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: N/A
    Connection: N/A
    Error Code:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Connecting: N/A
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A

I don't think that's a particularly good sign is it? I should also mention that UMA was working yesterday and it's suddenly stopped. The device has only been activated for a few days and I can assure you I haven't changed any settings to make it stop working.
    05-10-08 05:51 PM
    Your might have to update the firmware on your router
    Yip, tried that one tonight. No difference.

Is this a common problem or do you think I just have a setting misplaced somewhere?
    05-10-08 05:52 PM
    That is a big help. The status message confirms a connection issue with UMA, but the WiFi connection is established.

Something has changed, best guess, it was on your carriers end.

Service books are provided by your carrier, you can have them re-sent. That could fix it up.

I am not sure of the command, but it should be under:

Options / Advanced options / Service Books

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 07:55 PM
    Mine would connect for a few mins then go back to edge. everything works perfect now after i did a firmware upgrade on my router
    05-10-08 08:23 PM
    Thanks guys, I resent the service book and also updated the firmware on the router...no change.

If it's a problem on the carrier's end I think I have a bigger problem as I've tried calling them numberous times and they're absolutely useless (Orange UK).

I just can't think of anything else to do to change things.
    05-11-08 02:35 AM
    Urcky,
    I have recently purchased a 8320 Curve and am having the exact same problems, please can you let me know if you resolved the issue? I am frustrated that I cannot connect the wifi at home!!!

Cheers
    Prit
    11-18-08 03:53 PM
    Hi,
    I'm getting the same message on my 8900, using an Orange livebox to connect to the internet.
    Any solutions?

Thanks.
    08-09-09 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD