I'm thinking of adding wifi to my home network but I can't decide if I should go with a G or N router. My Storm2 will be he only device using it for now. I've got a ps3 but its currently wired to the network.

Currently I'm running a Dlink 4 port 10/100 wired router. Everything is running great. So I'm wondering if I should add a wireless access point or switch to a new router with wireless built in?

Do I need a fast N router for my Storm or is a G sufficient?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 02:00 PM
    G is sufficient for general web browsing, but N will give you better media streaming and increased range.
    If you have a large house with lots of walls and concrete go with N.

Especially if you will be streaming from your comp to your PS3 go with N. N has really come down in price and in my mind is well worth it.

As far as router vs access point, whenever you add a "hop", you add a certain amount of latency (delay) as the data is translated and forwarded. You probably won't notice it, but it's good network design to reduce hops if you can.

I would recommend an N router as it will keep you up to speed for a few years at least.
    Last edited by gambier82; 02-15-10 at 02:42 PM.
    02-15-10 02:38 PM
    No BlackBerry or PS3 actually uses the "N" spec. They use "G". N routers will also support B/G devices, so go with an N router. That way you will have N available whenever you upgrade your PC, or add other new devices, like laptops, etc.

I have a Linksys WRT120N, the basic N router, and I have B (Nintendo DS Lites),G (PS3, Wii, PCs), and N devices all connected to it simultaneously. Works great.
    02-15-10 02:44 PM
    So there's no need to get an Xtreme N+ router for future proofing? I was actually looking into the WRT120N. Sounds like it will work for me as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 03:14 PM
    Most of the super-dee-duper Xtreme +++ OMGWTFBBQ speed boost routers only achieve their full potential with the same brand devices. I.E. to get max throughput from a D-Link Xtreme N router, you need to use a D-Link Xtreme N adapter. Devices like game consoles will not take advantage of the "extra" speed. Don't waste your money.
    02-17-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD