So my Blackberry Pearl 8100 is so screwed up it wont function properly. I had water damage over a year ago and its worked fine, but its done for! (they didnt offer insurance when I got the phone so I'm SOL).

I was going to get an iPhone the other day, but after much research, decided I HAD to wait for the BOLD to be released. Well today my Pearl completely went crazy and I am without a phone! I cant afford to buy a BOLD on ebay for the crazy prices, so I need your guys' help/advice!

I have AT&T and am hoping to get another AT&T branded (or unlocked?) Blackberry so I can just plug in my SIM card and go. I dont want to pay much (Maybe $50), so what are my options. Which BB's are going for cheap on eBay that are good? Are there any places I can order a CHEAP refurbished BB? I just need a BB to keep me sane until the BOLD is released, which I hope is ASAP!!! THANKS!!!!
    08-07-08 12:44 PM
    So my Blackberry Pearl 8100 is so screwed up it wont function properly. I had water damage over a year ago and its worked fine, but its done for! (they didnt offer insurance when I got the phone so I'm SOL).

I was going to get an iPhone the other day, but after much research, decided I HAD to wait for the BOLD to be released. Well today my Pearl completely went crazy and I am without a phone! I cant afford to buy a BOLD on ebay for the crazy prices, so I need your guys' help/advice!

I have AT&T and am hoping to get another AT&T branded (or unlocked?) Blackberry so I can just plug in my SIM card and go. I dont want to pay much (Maybe $50), so what are my options. Which BB's are going for cheap on eBay that are good? Are there any places I can order a CHEAP refurbished BB? I just need a BB to keep me sane until the BOLD is released, which I hope is ASAP!!! THANKS!!!!
    I thought they're offering the refurbed 8110 Pearls on AT&T's own site for $49.99, no?
    08-07-08 12:47 PM
    I thought they're offering the refurbed 8110 Pearls on AT&T's own site for $49.99, no?
    I'm not seeing that
    08-07-08 01:48 PM

im assuming you don't want to extend your contract now so that you are eligible for the discounts when the bold comes out, so i would say look on eBay or craigslist for a used 8700 or 7100. you can get those for around $50 and the 8700's can run 4.5.
    08-07-08 02:10 PM
    im assuming you don't want to extend your contract now so that you are eligible for the discounts when the bold comes out, so i would say look on eBay or craigslist for a used 8700 or 7100. you can get those for around $50 and the 8700's can run 4.5.
    thats correct, I will be extending my contract when the bold comes out, so I dont want to burn that up now. thanks for your input!
    08-07-08 02:21 PM
    your welcome.
    08-07-08 02:29 PM
    Ebay is the way to go.
    08-07-08 02:48 PM
    I have never wanted to go the route of an unlocked phone, since AT&T always had the BBs I wanted. However, if I were to get an older unlocked phone, is it still plug and play essentially? (plug in SIM card and everything will work)?
    08-07-08 02:56 PM
    I'm not seeing that
    Right here, but I guess this is with a plan-
    BlackBerry® Pearl 8110 - Red (Refurb) Cell Phone - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
    08-07-08 03:10 PM
    well you have to resend service books and change the pin associated with your BIS service, and then everything will work. and you would have to restore all your data or reenter all your data. does that answer your question?
    08-07-08 03:12 PM
    Right here, but I guess this is with a plan-
    yea i went back through and just saw this. Its a great deal, but like I said I'm hoping to use my contract savings with the Bold. (Don't wanna spend $600+ or whatever on a new phone)

well you have to resend service books and change the pin associated with your BIS service, and then everything will work. and you would have to restore all your data or reenter all your data. does that answer your question?
    yes it does thank you! I may be getting an old BB from a friend. Would it be easiest to go into AT&T and have them switch me over to avoid issues. Or is there an informational on this site somewhere that tells me how to do it?
    08-07-08 03:19 PM
    i have an old 7290, that i don't mind lend it to you. i mean, i know its old, but it's a blackberry. let me know. 2073ed37
    08-07-08 06:11 PM
    I just lost my 8310. I was given an old 8700. I went to AT&T and they gave me a new sim card. I had to delete the old info off the 8700. My BB manager died on my pc so I had to manually add all my info. That was painful and tedious.

but AT&T didn't have to do anything else except deactivate my old phone.
    08-07-08 06:17 PM
    thats correct, I will be extending my contract when the bold comes out, so I dont want to burn that up now. thanks for your input!
    Yeah I'm doing the same thing when the bold comes out but I won't have a contract to burn up, I'm just going to have to add a line and have two numbers on the thing.

As far as getting yourself a new device I would definitely try craigslist first only because I know that ebay is flooded with cheaper BB's but I see a lot of customers come into my store with a bogus BB from japan or somewhere crazy that doesn't even work. So just be careful when it comes down to it. For the time being I trust craigs list alot more.
    08-07-08 06:45 PM
    ebay, craigslist...
    08-07-08 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD