i was an htc user, only smartphone i've had.....hate the phone because of bulkiness & lack of "fun" stuff (personalizing). i recently renewed w/alltel & got a bb pearl. i LOVE the track ball & possibilities with "fun" stuff, the popularity of bb made me think it must be good. within about a week i had decided to return it & get a curve, but of course they don't have anymore & don't expect to get them. Meanwhile they tell me to keep my pearl for a few more weeks until their new phone comes out. but the more i play with this the more i wonder....i don't use internet on my phone for much, but the things i do use it for i can't with the pearl. i check my banking info...doesn't let me log in, check my local news....says address not valid, i googled something but when i tried to open the page i just get blank screen. i know that bb isn't windows based, but can you really not do any of this with a bb? if so then what can i do besides download "fun" stuff?
    My husband renewed with htc touch diamond and keeps telling me that i have downgraded, that this is a "mickeymouse" phone. i have hidden all of my bb problems from him & still tell him how much i love it, so please if there is a secret to the internet on a bb, clue me in cause i want to get a curve or something w/ a full keypad, but i want to be able to use the internet w/out screaming cause it won't work.
    Also if i stay w/bb should i try to get curve or is something better coming real soon? does the curve do picture & video messaging?
    Well any help you can give me i appreciate, thanks!
    04-16-09 12:43 PM
    Why not get apps to do those things?
    04-16-09 12:46 PM
    curve is better for web surfing mostly because the screen is wider so you'll get more of a "real browser" look vs the pearl (aka things won't look as piled up and stuff). to check local news, try viigo, its an rss feeder. some pages do not render well on blackberries, mostly because of lack of flash capabilities, etc etc, but you can always download other browsers like opera and bolt, which do a slightly better job of making webpages look like their computer counterparts.

also be sure to check out this thread on maximizing your blackberry's memory

having more memory means more apps, so you'll be able to download more things to help you do what you want to do.

what bank do you use? i believe citibank has an app for blackberry, though chase is yet to come out with one (though they have a mobile website).

hope this helps!
    04-16-09 12:52 PM
    i know nothing about apps, what kind of apps do i look for to make these things work? sorry-i've not needed them in the past, just need a push in the right direction
    04-16-09 12:55 PM
    just a small local bank, whom i've already contacted to see if they could help me all they knew was that i need to check the cookies....phones don't have cookies do they? just frustrated because it works fine on the other but i will try your suggestions-thank you
    04-16-09 12:58 PM
    Oh, you may be stuck if it's a smaller bank. So I imagine they told you they don't have any mobile version?

BBs actually do have cookies, but I don't think that will help you - sounds like a standard reply for people having problems on computers. If you want to clear them, though, go to the browser, hit the BB button, go to options, then cache operations. You can clear it from there. It's possible that person was concerned that you're unable to accept cookies, but BBs can and it's enabled by default.
    Last edited by zazzified; 04-16-09 at 01:06 PM.
    04-16-09 01:02 PM
    just a small local bank, whom i've already contacted to see if they could help me all they knew was that i need to check the cookies....phones don't have cookies do they? just frustrated because it works fine on the other but i will try your suggestions-thank you
    Phones do indeed have cookies.
    04-16-09 01:04 PM
    right, but on the htc it loads the full page, a little piled up but it's all there and you can click on anything you want just like on a pc. on pearl page actually looks better than htc, but when you scroll over things you should be able to click on, ie. internet banking, it doesn't highlight or let you click anything, only scroll up & down page
    04-16-09 01:10 PM
    oh, maybe just not enough cookies for my banks site?
    04-16-09 01:11 PM
    right, but on the htc it loads the full page, a little piled up but it's all there and you can click on anything you want just like on a pc. on pearl page actually looks better than htc, but when you scroll over things you should be able to click on, ie. internet banking, it doesn't highlight or let you click anything, only scroll up & down page
    amj, check the browser settings by going to options when you have the browser open.

See settings in General Properties - does yours look anything like that?:

04-16-09 01:23 PM
    As far as the banking site, I may suggest that you change the Browser Identification to "Internet Explorer" in the browser configuration, also in Options when you are in the browser app.

Some websites have a little javascript that Checks for IE or Firefox, and nukes out if it sees anything other than those two options.

-m
    04-16-09 01:30 PM
    yes until you get to default view, then i have a checked box for enable curser in column view & my enable javascript is checked
    04-16-09 01:34 PM
    yes until you get to default view, then i have a checked box for enable curser in column view & my enable javascript is checked
    And you're not able to click on a hyperlink by pressing in the trackball?

Hmmm...
    04-16-09 01:40 PM
    that's right
    04-16-09 01:43 PM
    and i am (& have been) trying to download viigo but it keeps sayingthe item cannot be displayed, do i want to save. i tried to save but i can't find it anywhere.....is it me? you just click download app, & save right? if you say no to saving it says unsupported media type:application/zip
    04-16-09 01:50 PM
    and i am (& have been) trying to download viigo but it keeps sayingthe item cannot be displayed, do i want to save. i tried to save but i can't find it anywhere.....is it me? you just click download app, & save right?
    Are you trying to download it from your BB Browser? You're downloading the OTA (Over the Air) file, right? Should end in .jad/.jar.
    04-16-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";