03-23-09 02:20 PM
36 12
tools
    Hi All,

Wonder If Someone Is Having The Same Problem As Me, Basically I Can't Turn On Gps On My Device, I Have The Map Software Loaded But Can't Not Get Any Positioning Through Gps , Or Even An Option In The Software Of Current Location Find?!!?!? Like In Bold, So Basically It's Just Maps !!! And No Gps Functions?? Any Feedback Guys? Plssssssss I Checked In The Specs And It Says That It Must Have Internal Gps So That Mean Enabled But In The Device There's Nothing
    Thanks
    01-23-09 01:45 AM
    Go Outside in a clear unobstructed view of the sky.

Go into your Options > Advanced Options > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS. Wait for the phone to get refreshed. After this is done, go check back in your maps application. You should be good to go.
    01-23-09 01:55 AM
    ^^ This may takes a few minutes. Dont give up too soon.
    01-23-09 08:50 AM
    yes happen to me at first as well, must be out in open, sit in room beside window no work, cuz too many tall building around, but once go out to street and less tall building it work very nice
    01-23-09 10:10 AM
    thanks for your posts, but still didn't work, the main issue is that it does not show the option for refresh GPS and it is set on non so i can't get the gps function enabled , meanwhile i downloaded google maps and it did work perfect as it did activate the gps by itself , so i think the pb is a software bug
    01-25-09 02:06 AM
    Hi all,
    I wanted to share this with you and hope to get your opinion.
    MY Blackberry 8900 is an "official release" from our service provider, Etisalat.
    Basically, Its running 4.6.1.101.
    Now, my GPS does not work. And I mean at all!
    i've used it in a clear space, stood out in the sun on a clear day with no buildings at all, and it could only tell where I was approximately on the map with the AGPS(using the cell towers fo Etisalat) but not a pinpoint location (GPS).
    i've checked here: Options > Advanced Options > GPS > GPS Date Source, and it says "NONE"!!
    WTH? I thought i might have a faulty device, so I contact my service provider and complain that they got me a faulty device and to replace it.
    Instead they give me a job number and tell me to go to i2(Blackberry/cellphone repair company) and I spent a good 2 hours going back and forth to Etisalat and i2.
    FINALLY, I get a competent i2 guy, who calls up Etisalat again who tells me that Etisalat is still in deals with Blackberry in Canada in getting the GPS license for the blackberry 8900, and to bear with them as they are working to get the service, and they GPS will work.
    I guess that makes sense, but I've contacted them over 6 times in a span of two days and they only tell me this when I've brought it to get "repaired?"
    Basically, I don't trust them. They might just be saying crap so that they don't get charged.
    What do you guys think?
    Also, should I just delete the Vendor file and update the os and hope for the best? Or do I need get it unlocked first?
    02-07-09 12:58 AM
    I would update the OS and see if that helps if I were you.
    02-07-09 01:02 AM
    hey. I just finished updating my OS... my unit still says that there is no device found for GPS.
    I'm severely annoyed... and my gps still doesn't work for my GPS puck either.
    Any thoughts?
    02-07-09 07:02 AM
    If it's any comfort rapski17 the Bold is having the same problem for Etisalat on the latest versions of the OS. Though the official release from Etisalat supports GPS all versions above .185 on the bold have it disabled. It appears to be some problem between Etisalat and RIM.
    02-13-09 03:41 PM
    hi guys,

thanks for sharing this post , well i've still in the same situation .... very simple no GPS called etisalat for several times but honesty cannot find any professional agent to handle this issue, everyone tells a different story , and same case as rapski they told me to go to i2 and open a repair job card, another one asked me to reload the OS, another to do a hard reboot and and and.... result excellent device but no GPS ! no one told me nothing about this issue with RIM , donno how they will come to a solution for it, specially that all of their ads clearly say GPS, should we sue them?!?!
    02-16-09 09:19 AM
    As an aside, I found that the OS version you are using makes a huge difference for GPS performance. With the .144 beta, GPS performance has been very poor. I am likely going back to .133 where it was fantastic!
    02-16-09 09:27 AM
    Hi Elasmar,
    I just wanted to share an interesting update. I've gone to several Etisalat "desks" and had no one to provide me with any right answer.
    So last night, i went to Plug-ins in DFC, and spoke a very smart and intelligent Etisalat representative promoting the new Blackberrys. (i suspect she's a crackberry addict like the rest of us!)
    She said she didn't know about the problem, and requested to persue this problem further.
    So she got my etisalat 8900, a brand new etisalat 8900 and an unlocked 8900 from sharaf( i think its a Rogers one) (oh and her pearl flip too) and we started swapping sim cards in each phone testing them out, and have the following results:
    - Pearl flip doesn't have GPS
    - Unlocked 8900 HAS GPS
    - my etisalat 8900 doesn't have GPS (Duh)
    - the brand new etisalat 8900... doesn't have GPS!

Therefore, I can finally say, that i believe Etisalat... they have some problems with RIM with regards to the whole contract for GPS thing... and yes... i wish we could sue them, especially for false advertising... but can you imagine the outcome??
    we'd wouldn't even get pass the court doors because Etisalat is Semi-gov!
    i guess we can wait patiently... but i sure do wish i got the unlocked version instead...
    i'll keep you updated as and when the GPS starts working again...
    02-16-09 01:39 PM
    RAPSKI,

thanks for your follow up , much appreciate it, well i did the same as you exactly as i was trying to find out any solution , it all ends up with no output!! NO GPS function, i got my device connected to an external GPS through bluetooth and it did work, i was eager just to give it a try to see, i feel so bad having decided to buy it from etisalat and not unlocked noting that i got the unlocked version from UK for about 2000 dhs, so cheaper and with GPS enabled! anyway will much appreciate if you may update me once you have any new, by the way when you say no GPS is that means the phone does not have the GPS device built in? or the GPS is disabled from etisalat??
    02-18-09 02:36 AM
    the 8900 has a built in GPS.
    but the 8900 from etisalat has the GPS disabled so it says doesn't have a GPS device.
    02-18-09 10:57 AM
    i'm having the same problem as rapski17
    02-21-09 07:54 AM
    Do you guys have any update on the GPS data source = none on the Etisalat 8900 ??
    Thanks
    02-21-09 06:27 PM
    Sounds like the United Arab Emirates version of VZW....How sad
    02-21-09 09:05 PM
    Hi all,

I also have the same problem. Curve 8900 from Etisalat does not have GPS (disabled).
    02-23-09 05:55 AM
    i'll try to take my curve8900 to there new service partner e max techno care. they said it is a hardware problem.i'll keep you posted.
    02-24-09 12:55 PM
    Guys, I had the same problem earlier. I just upgraded to .168. And it works. In advanced options - gps- It shows device GPS.
    03-02-09 05:58 AM
    hello again,

ok guys so everyone who had the GPS=None on etisalat uae device, just update to the .133 version and everything will be fine, i just did it and it's working , thought to share with you all, finally had the problem resolved after almost 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers etisalat users!
    03-12-09 03:22 AM
    Hey,
    would it be this version?
    Software Download for Etisalat

Downloading BlackBerry Handheld Software v 4.6.1.267 (Multilanguage)
    Download Details
    Software Name: BlackBerry Handheld Software v 4.6.1.267 (Multilanguage)
    File Name: 8900M_PBr4.6.1_rel267_PL4.2.0.94_A4.6.1.168.exe
    Download Size: 120.305 MB
    Language: English
    Published Date: 03/10/2009

If so, i can't wait to try it out tonight!!! thank you all!!!!!
    03-12-09 04:07 AM
    I can admit that it is some of Etisalat Games

I talked to this Etisalat Guy "M" and he tried to throw the ball to me and give me silly reasons but when he saw that I have good experience with the blackberry ... he told me that there is a problem and Etisalat aware and working on it

hello again,

ok guys so everyone who had the GPS=None on etisalat uae device, just update to the .133 version and everything will be fine, i just did it and it's working , thought to share with you all, finally had the problem resolved after almost 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers etisalat users!
    Did u manage to get the position coordinates also ? .. do refresh GPS and see

I update the OS and I can select "Device GPS" as data source but I can't get the position coordinates
    03-12-09 05:12 AM
    SOLVED for BOLD users (8900 users might want to try the lates OS update).. Finally: I had the same problem on every beta OS I upgraded to from Etisalat on BB Bold.. the dreadful GPS = None!!

Just upgraded to .247 (official from a Slovenian carrier: official from a Slovenian carrier: search for the " Newest 9000 OS 4.6.0.418/4.6.0.247 " post) and GPS is baaaaack on Etisalat

Better yet, I haven't seen the GPS lock in so fast. 2 seconds and I got 8 satellites covering me in Dubai. The whole OS is a breeze. Etisalat should stop being damn lazy (and greedy.. 205 AED monthly charges for BB service!!) and upgrade officially to this OS.

Not sure if the "beta .247" (haven't tried it) would solve this problem as well or if it was related to official releases vs. beta ones.

Any Bold Etisalat user tried installing the beta .247 and tested the GPS on Etisalat? I would be interesting if the problem was related to Beta OS releases.
    03-13-09 07:46 PM
    SOLVED for BOLD users (8900 users might want to try the lates OS update).. Finally: I had the same problem on every beta OS I upgraded to from Etisalat on BB Bold.. the dreadful GPS = None!!

Just upgraded to .247 (official from a Slovenian carrier: official from a Slovenian carrier: search for the " Newest 9000 OS 4.6.0.418/4.6.0.247 " post) and GPS is baaaaack on Etisalat

Better yet, I haven't seen the GPS lock in so fast. 2 seconds and I got 8 satellites covering me in Dubai. The whole OS is a breeze. Etisalat should stop being damn lazy (and greedy.. 205 AED monthly charges for BB service!!) and upgrade officially to this OS.

Not sure if the "beta .247" (haven't tried it) would solve this problem as well or if it was related to official releases vs. beta ones.

Any Bold Etisalat user tried installing the beta .247 and tested the GPS on Etisalat? I would be interesting if the problem was related to Beta OS releases.
    Glad that the OS worked for you. Unfortunately the Bold OS versions are not compatible with the 8900.
    03-13-09 10:56 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD