Hello there community,

I've been reading a lot about Blackberries and how awesome they are when it comes to making communication easier either by text (SMS, e-mail, PIN), voice (voip, carrier) and specially: on the go.

I'm starting my career as a Project Manager and communications is what it's all about so a device like this would give me a boost allowing me to be able to keep in touch with the projects anytime.

I'm also going to get my babe one! I can see productivity going down (BB Messenger), but so be it, he he.

So, on to the devices, we were thinking about a Curve 8520 for me (I really want a trackpad, and Onyx is not out. Even if it were would probably be too expensive for what I consider reasonable to pay for a smartphone) and a Pearl 8120 for her (because of the Wi-Fi). She really wants something that does not look like a smartphone and is small enough to go around.

What do you guys think on the device selection we've come to? And pointers? Could also use some help with data plans (Tim Brasil and O2).
    08-28-09 02:52 PM
    Welcome to the world of Blackberry! The Pearl is a great choice for someone who wants a smaller device, but still have the blackberry functionality. Many users in the company I work for choose this device for that reason as well.
    As for the 8520, if you want the track pad and can't wait, then I have heard it is a great device. I myself have the 9000 Bold, and will stay with AT&T and wait for the 9700 with track pad.
    For data plans my recommendation is to spend the money and go with the unlimited data. It is worth it!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by CheshireCat379; 08-28-09 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typos
    diegonei likes this.
    08-28-09 03:05 PM
    I tried to open the TIM Brazil page but it is prompting me for a region and area code in Brazilian Portuguese, so I can't offer any specifies.

In order to use the advanced communications features of a BlackBerry, your carrier must offer support for BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). This is the infrastructure link that makes email, messaging and internet services work.

Some carriers offer support for Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), this optional service allows a Wifi connection for voice and data. It can be very useful when your cellular signal is not adaqute at your home or office where you can make Wifi available.

Without the UMA support, Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-28-09 03:09 PM
    As for the 8520, if you want the track pad and can't wait, then I have heard it is a great device. I myself have the 9000 Bold, and will stay with AT&T and wait for the 9700 with track pad.
    Just plainly out of curiosity, any idea when the Onyx is out?

In order to use the advanced communications features of a BlackBerry, your carrier must offer support for BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). This is the infrastructure link that makes email, messaging and internet services work.

Some carriers offer support for Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), this optional service allows a Wifi connection for voice and data. Without the UMA support, Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.
    Oh sorry about the TIM site, use BA 71 if you wanna try again.

I know both O2 and Tim support BIS, but I am clueless about UMA. So, would I be able to use that skype clone (can't remember the name) for Blackberry and make voip calls with just the data plan or would it require UMA?

Thanks for the help!
    08-28-09 03:26 PM
    Just plainly out of curiosity, any idea when the Onyx is out?
    I wish I knew. I believe I read in a post somewhere like late this year (Q4 2009) or early next year (Q1 2010) but I am not for certain.
    08-28-09 03:34 PM
    ... would I be able to use that skype clone (can't remember the name) for Blackberry and make voip calls with just the data plan or would it require UMA?

Thanks for the help!
    I belive you are thinking of iSkoot, a BlackBerry Skype client.

http://www.iskoot.com/

Yes, you can use make Skype to Skype calls at not charge or Skype to a normal telephone at mimimal cost using Skype Out credits.

UMA is nice to have when signal quality is an issue, but not needed when you have a good cell connection.
    08-28-09 04:40 PM
    So either wi-fi or data plan will do for iSkoot (thanks Reed, that's exactly it). Or did I get this wrong?

I've seen at O2's site that they charge monthly for the voip calls (was 10 or 15, something like that) but i couldn't find info about data plans. For some reason, I think TIM will charge extra for that, even if I have an unlimited plan...

Another question, about upgrading the OS. They will be sin free/unlocked blackberries, would I need to install O2's and TIM's BB OS or any version I find (the newer the better) will do?

Thanks for the help guys!
    08-28-09 06:15 PM

And it turns out I convinced her about the full QWERTY keyboard and we'll both wait for the Bold 9700 to be released.

EDIT: Or maybe I just get the 8520 and her a 8900. About iSkoot, seems we skype-to-skype, but not iSkoot to iSkoot. Sad thing reaLly. *sigh*
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-21-09 at 02:25 PM.
    09-23-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD