I find that Thornsten Heins has done a remarkable job resurrecting BlackBerry from the dead, and although the last earnings report didn't dictate this, they've made phenomenal phones, that should be dominating in the market.

As many people have alluded to, the advertising campaign has been a disaster. Heins needs to come up with catchy ads that go on the offensive(see why i hate the z10 YouTube video for details).

We need him to amp up his attitude, and clearly show people, including the folks in the US, why the iphone and Samsung phones suck. What distinguishes BlackBerry from the rest.

I would love to see the old pc vs mac commercial ads rejuvenated, except this time it should be black fruit vs red fruit.

BlackBerry shouldn't take the fact that a mediocre phone like the iPhone is doing so well. He needs the Steve Balmer like attitude and go after both companies. Otherwise, it'll be too late. The time is now! Let's do this BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 and Rohit_K like this.
    07-23-13 03:52 AM
    lol its not that easy. iphone and samsung dont suck, they are very good. BB10 still lacks many apps and some features that the US needs/wants/expects. I agree that BB10 does have things that seperate them from the rest though.
    07-23-13 04:28 AM
    They are not quite at the point where they can fire the cannons. Maybe when 10.2 is released I think it will be the time... Still missing a little as much as I like my Zed.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 04:31 AM
    Since they have been unable (or unwilling) to figure out how to differentiate their phones from the "mediocre phone like the iPhone" it is a bit early to attack. And Heins is a manager - a very good one - and not an evangelist. Or an attacker. They need to find someone different to do that. Not his style.
    07-23-13 05:08 AM
    In order for them to "attack" or go on the offensive, they need ammunition - and they don't have it.

There's nothing substantial about the Z10/Q10 that truly sets it apart from the competition... except for the negative things - like the lack of apps.

People need to get off the idea that marketing is the answer. It will only help to a very small degree when your product isn't any better than the competitions. I remember people shouting that RIM needed to advertise more and better for their BB7 phones - because apparently that was the answer to their problems. It was naive to think that since BB7 phones were VERY lacking in almost every category - especially with it's VERY outdated OS. Yet poor marketing was taking the blame. We're in a similar situation now - although the phone is much more modern now, there's nothing that truly sets it apart while the ecosystem fails by comparison.

Blackberry release a better product - THAT is how you attack.
    07-23-13 05:19 AM
    Yeah. BlackBerry does not offer anything new. Kind of hard to attack the competition when you aren't any better than them

Posted via CB10
    holly joslin likes this.
    07-23-13 05:25 AM
    Heins should not be allowed in front of a microphone in my opinion. He's coming across as a high school science teacher that needs to have every statement "clarified" by their PR dept.
    07-23-13 05:39 AM
    07-23-13 05:48 AM
    I believe that BlackBerry has a lot to offer, that would offer it a significant advantage over the iphone.

For one, the multi tasking ability is a huge advantage. Listen to music, surf the web, send a bbm message all at the same time.

Secondly, BlackBerry Balance allows you to keep your work life seperate from your personal life.

Third, the typing experience is remarkable. We spend a majority of our time communicating with people. We always whine able how long it takes to commute to work, and how long it takes to make fried chicken. With BlackBerry, you won't be typing at a snail speed, like with the iPhone.

I can go on and on about why BlackBerry is a superb device and way better than the iPhone 5. They need to get yhe the message out. Apple is brilliant about making its products seem hip, even though most years, they give the phone a lipo suction and call it "the best iphone ever". The operating system is the same one since it's inception and is average at best.

If i was in charge of the marketing team, i would go on the offensive, and use humour in my ads as well..look at how awesome the Samsung galaxy ads are. This is sorta what we need.

There's still time to turn this around. They gotta wake up now before the sun sets on the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard and Rene_Q10 like this.
    07-23-13 06:09 AM
    What does Samsung spend a year marketing? $5bn?
    07-23-13 06:12 AM
    He cannot attack until RIMBERRY gets a foothold somewhere. There is nothing to attack with that would throw the others off the market. BB10 is great but a zero marketing budget in the United States has pretty much killed it.
    holly joslin likes this.
    07-23-13 07:02 AM
    Why does everyone say multitasking. All phones can multitask these days. I know for sure android can.
    So what sort of advantage can BlackBerry bring. If keyboard and hub is the best we can come up with then the future is not pretty

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 07:32 AM
    In order for them to "attack" or go on the offensive, they need ammunition - and they don't have it.

There's nothing substantial about the Z10/Q10 that truly sets it apart from the competition... except for the negative things - like the lack of apps.

People need to get off the idea that marketing is the answer. It will only help to a very small degree when your product isn't any better than the competitions. I remember people shouting that RIM needed to advertise more and better for their BB7 phones - because apparently that was the answer to their problems. It was naive to think that since BB7 phones were VERY lacking in almost every category - especially with it's VERY outdated OS. Yet poor marketing was taking the blame. We're in a similar situation now - although the phone is much more modern now, there's nothing that truly sets it apart while the ecosystem fails by comparison.

Blackberry release a better product - THAT is how you attack.
    Maybe you should have a look at BB10QNX post. According to the site BlackBerry does have the ammunition against the competition. :-P

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 08:49 AM
    Why does everyone say multitasking. All phones can multitask these days. I know for sure android can.
    So what sort of advantage can BlackBerry bring. If keyboard and hub is the best we can come up with then the future is not pretty

Posted via CB10
    But not every phone has the multitasking power BlackBerry has. Here's an example I pulled from the site BB10QNX posted.

"From today, and a real kick in the balls for the young adult set that relies on their music: You're plugged into your car stereo listening to music. A text message comes in. Is your music interrupted? On the Z-10 the answer is no. On the Android device, even the current 4.2.x JellyBean devices it sure as hell is and it really sucks! This one will blow the young people's minds and reach directlyto what matters to them. Just get in the car, link the phone (Bluetooth streaming if you don't want to to plug into the headphone jack), start playing your music and then have someone send a staccato set of text messages to youand watch the hilarity ensue. - Excerpt from "To BlackBerry: BREAK THE GLASS"
    http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=222270

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-23-13 08:56 AM
    But not every phone has the multitasking power BlackBerry has. Here's an example I pulled from the site BB10QNX posted.

"From today, and a real kick in the balls for the young adult set that relies on their music: You're plugged into your car stereo listening to music. A text message comes in. Is your music interrupted? On the Z-10 the answer is no. On the Android device, even the current 4.2.x JellyBean devices it sure as hell is and it really sucks! This one will blow the young people's minds and reach directlyto what matters to them. Just get in the car, link the phone (Bluetooth streaming if you don't want to to plug into the headphone jack), start playing your music and then have someone send a staccato set of text messages to youand watch the hilarity ensue. - Excerpt from "To BlackBerry: BREAK THE GLASS"
    To BlackBerry: BREAK THE GLASS in [Market-Ticker]

Posted via CB10
    The fact that the phone can receive text messages while playing music means that it can multitask. I has nothing to do with "power". The issue in that situation isn't so much multitasking, but how the OSs handle notifications when you are in an app as opposed to being in standby.
    07-23-13 09:04 AM
    I work in marketing and I'm sometimes at odds with company management that want to have their cake and eat it too... to be all things to everyone. You can't properly identify a target market and speak to them if you're trying to be "it's a floor wax! It's a dessert topping!" (I'm looking at YOU Cool Whip! It COULD be a floor wax, but someone decided it's a dessert topping and it's not marketed as floor wax.)

I agree that companies must aggressively market to their core audience, but at this point, BlackBerry HAS to re-establish itself as a general purpose device THEN hit hard where BB10 devices excel... but to do that now would be to effectively STATE that BB10 devices are niche market products.

What they COULD be doing is showing the efficiencies of BB10 as a communications device, maybe even showing one of the hyper connected people launching a game, then having another call come in, deal with that, then go back to trying to launch a game again, and having another call come in... basically "I would LIKE to play one of the excellent games on my BB10 device, but I'm a very busy person. I use the features of BB10 to get through my communications tasks quickly, then I can get back to playing my game, but communications is most important, and BB10 does it better than any other platform, period. I'll play a few games at some point, but I have people to talk to and emails to send." It would be good if one of the 'communications' the user gets is a personal call, like a BBM from their kid or something, and an appointment reminder about a special family event so they stop playing the game and get up and go. They could do something that better highlights BB10's strengths, but again, there's risk to marginalizing themselves if they go TOO hard at the competitors, who excel at time wasting... which is what a lot of people actually want on their device:

"I never want to be alone with my thoughts even for a MOMENT in an elevator, or standing in line at the subway station... I want CONSTANT EXTERNAL STIMULATION... I need a wide variety of total time wasters so even a 10 second "delay" can be filled with the beauty and wonder and endorphin rush of "Candy Crush Saga"! I HATE YOU BLACKBERRY 10 FOR NOT ENTERTAINING ME EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF EVERY DAY! I HATE YOU!!!!"
    Cesare21 and Pard like this.
    07-23-13 09:17 AM
    Marketing is a big issue. Apple has a strong brand. Many people get an iPhone just because of the brand and think it is a great phone. Sure it works well but the ios is outdated, there is no big difference between the iPhone 4 and 5 and still people get grazy when the 5 wad released. I see many reviews of BlackBerry Z10 in which the z10 gets high credits
    . But still BlackBerry is not doing very well. And it is a great phone bus the brand has a negative image.
    My mother in law wanted to buy a BlackBerry and the salesman recommend a Samsung because he said BlackBerry was going bankrupt!!!!!
    So marketing is important!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 03:44 PM
    Steve Balmer attitude??? That guy's an ***** and embarrassment to MS!

Posted via Z10 and CB10 on Rogers
    07-23-13 03:55 PM
    I believe that BlackBerry has a lot to offer, that would offer it a significant advantage over the iphone.

For one, the multi tasking ability is a huge advantage. Listen to music, surf the web, send a bbm message all at the same time.

Secondly, BlackBerry Balance allows you to keep your work life seperate from your personal life.

Third, the typing experience is remarkable. We spend a majority of our time communicating with people. We always whine able how long it takes to commute to work, and how long it takes to make fried chicken. With BlackBerry, you won't be typing at a snail speed, like with the iPhone.

I can go on and on about why BlackBerry is a superb device and way better than the iPhone 5. They need to get yhe the message out. Apple is brilliant about making its products seem hip, even though most years, they give the phone a lipo suction and call it "the best iphone ever". The operating system is the same one since it's inception and is average at best.

If i was in charge of the marketing team, i would go on the offensive, and use humour in my ads as well..look at how awesome the Samsung galaxy ads are. This is sorta what we need.

There's still time to turn this around. They gotta wake up now before the sun sets on the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    Please refrain this BS about how superior BB10 is..it is in your own mind.
    07-23-13 04:01 PM
    Target marketing and brand awareness are critical in the mobile computing marketplace. Just take a look at how many billions Apple, Samsung, Microsoft and Google are spending in this area alone.

Anyone who thinks marketing will have little effect with BB or any other mobile player is seriously deluding themselves. If people aren't aware of your product and its features then nobody will buy it. In the case of smartphones this comes down to carriers who seem to have an aversion to selling anything other than iPhones and droids.
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-23-13 09:45 PM
    It is increasingly apparent that Thorsten Heins is a product, technician type guy and not a marketer. That could be BlackBerry's Achilles heal!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 10:04 PM
    They are not quite at the point where they can fire the cannons. Maybe when 10.2 is released I think it will be the time... Still missing a little as much as I like my Zed.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for the metaphor but...they need to shoot at what they can hit. Sniper. Accurate. Precise. They have great guns, just not a big army. But they are recruiting!

From Zed to U via CB10
    07-23-13 10:07 PM
    I find that Thornsten Heins has done a remarkable job resurrecting BlackBerry from the dead, and although the last earnings report didn't dictate this, they've made phenomenal phones, that should be dominating in the market.

As many people have alluded to, the advertising campaign has been a disaster. Heins needs to come up with catchy ads that go on the offensive(see why i hate the z10 YouTube video for details).

We need him to amp up his attitude, and clearly show people, including the folks in the US, why the iphone and Samsung phones suck. What distinguishes BlackBerry from the rest.

I would love to see the old pc vs mac commercial ads rejuvenated, except this time it should be black fruit vs red fruit.

BlackBerry shouldn't take the fact that a mediocre phone like the iPhone is doing so well. He needs the Steve Balmer like attitude and go after both companies. Otherwise, it'll be too late. The time is now! Let's do this BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    Show the world how much Apple sucks by using the commercial format they used with great results...

Liking BB =/= other phones being bad. As much as I dislike iOS personally, I can't really say anything bad about it. It just doesn't suit my needs. To actualyl mount a good campaign, BB can't go into things with a fanboy view of the market. They need to show their advantages, yes. But if they go out shouting that the 90% market share holders* suck, they're gonna have a bad time.

*Android and iOS for clarification.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-24-13 12:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because its all we have left since we can't use the "bis has data compression, we have better security, we don't need multi cores or good specs, we have better email, we have better battery life, etc" arguments anymore.

We have the flashy led light though
    07-24-13 12:31 AM
    Sorry for the metaphor but...they need to shoot at what they can hit. Sniper. Accurate. Precise. They have great guns, just not a big army. But they are recruiting!

From Zed to U via CB10
    They need bullets for those guns.
    07-24-13 12:34 AM
62 123