I would like universal headless apps. At least start with BlackBerry apps. I would really like apps like the Music app to be headless. I don't like having to have it in Active Frame.

Any word on this?

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt and step07 like this.
    08-06-14 10:37 AM
    I hope so with the music app too

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    08-06-14 10:40 AM
    Why would you want the music app to be headless? Headless is for an app to respond to event driven behaviour.

If you're are already actively listening to music, why do you want the music controls to disappear?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    08-06-14 10:42 AM
    I would like the phone app to be headless. So that it doesn't open up so slow.
    And yes the music player always open (something like in iOS) would also be really great.
    08-06-14 10:43 AM
    Agree for the music app... but most other apps I'm fine with Active Frames, that way I know what is running. One thing I don't like about Android Apps is sometime you'll find them still running with no indication they are other than checking Device Monitor. But maybe move the Active Frame page to the back instead of having it the first page?
    step07 likes this.
    08-06-14 10:44 AM
    We just need hub integration with android apps and headless android for hub ready apps

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    step07 likes this.
    08-06-14 10:46 AM
    I don't think you know what headless apps mean.... A headless app is essentially an app within an app that responds to certain events (listed on dev website).

You can't control a headless app manually, making a headless music app a waste of resources. What they need to do instead is to speed up the loading time so the playlists and the entire library loads quickly.

P.S. The phone app is a headless app, that's why you can receive calls without having the app in active frame mode.
    08-06-14 10:56 AM
    Why would you want the music app to be headless? Headless is for an app to respond to event driven behaviour.

If you're are already actively listening to music, why do you want the music controls to disappear?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    To save an active frame and to prevent accidentally closing it

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 10:57 AM
    To save an active frame and to prevent accidentally closing it

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Seems like a rather drastic solution to that problem. Why consume power the 23 hours a day you are NOT listening to music?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-06-14 11:31 AM
    Wow. Seems like a rather drastic solution to that problem. Why consume power the 23 hours a day you are NOT listening to music?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    Who says you have to? Why not code it so if you are playing music and close the app then it will continue playing, unless they add some more features to the active frame then for me and as it seems other people it's utterly useless.. if you stop playing music then the headless behavior can stop, then there's no battery drain when you're not listening to music.. I don't see why giving us that option would take away anything from you and anyone else who love having active frames open

Check Out TechCraze
    08-06-14 11:37 AM
    I'd like it to minimise in the sort of way the phone app works... at the bottom when on call and active frame is closed.

Headless BlackBerry apps coming in 10.3?-img_20140806_173358.png

It'd be pretty cool if the music app icon altered to show the song that's currently playing (album artwork or something) kinda like the calender app does to show the date but after during every song.

Also I use the buttons at the side of the device to control my music so I have no need to use the app to change the song.

The music active frame is just a waste of space for me there's many many ways it could be improved in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    jayemmbee and pttptppt like this.
    08-06-14 11:41 AM
    Creating a headless music app creates an adverse problem for me. How do you necessarily know the music app is actually closed and thus not functioning? (It's simple with the active frame open or closed) With the legacy BBOS7 I once thought I had closed the music app, although it was still running in the background with a song just paused, and accidently used the volume buttons on the side to un-pause the music. Suddenly blasting max volume music from my pocket created a rather embarrassing situation at work.

In other words, the proposed usage of the volume buttons to control an essentially closed and still functioning app is exactly what I hope never to have with BB10. Having the ability to control open and closed apps (aside from headless apps that have certain restrictions naturally) through active frames is one of the essential reasons I choose BB10. I want in in your face way to see and control what is actually open and running and BB10 provides this.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-06-14 12:15 PM
    What you guys are really asking for then is a better way to implement an active app. Perhaps that is something they can do, but I don't think it's likely that they will reengineer something that significant anytime soon.

A headless app, by its very definition, is constantly running code in the background. No way around that. It will consume battery around the clock, no matter how well it is coded.

They could conceivably run a headless music player and give an option to disable that functionality to those of us that do not wish to drain our batteries unnecessarily. Although BlackBerry would probably have this as number 816 on their list of things to do.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    spikesolie and step07 like this.
    08-06-14 12:21 PM
    I'd like it to minimise in the sort of way the phone app works... at the bottom when on call and active frame is closed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140806_173358.png 
Views:	1172 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	289302

It'd be pretty cool if the music app icon altered to show the song that's currently playing (album artwork or something) kinda like the calender app does to show the date but after during every song.

Also I use the buttons at the side of the device to control my music so I have no need to use the app to change the song.

The music active frame is just a waste of space for me there's many many ways it could be improved in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    This is perfect

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 12:22 PM
    For example the music player in the Dev OS is headless. Not headless to play music when it's closed. When you close and reopen it, it rembers the exactly second of the last song, volume and equalizer settings.
    08-06-14 01:08 PM
    do you mean music player on notification bar? just like Apple and Android have

Z30 STA100-2/10.2.1.3253
    08-06-14 01:16 PM
    For example the music player in the Dev OS is headless. Not headless to play music when it's closed. When you close and reopen it, it rembers the exactly second of the last song, volume and equalizer settings.
    That is not headless. That just stores a few bits somewhere and retrieves it when re-opened.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    08-06-14 02:10 PM
    I think what the OP is getting at is that he doesn't like active frames getting in the way all the time. Headless apps are known to run without an active frame (Hub++, etc) and thus are examples that the OP may have based this request on. But obviously the problem is that BB10 offers no other way to know what's running except the "in your face" active frames.
    08-06-14 02:10 PM
    I think what the OP is getting at is that he doesn't like active frames getting in the way all the time. Headless apps are known to run without an active frame (Hub++, etc) and thus are examples that the OP may have based this request on. But obviously the problem is that BB10 offers no other way to know what's running except the "in your face" active frames.
    Agreed. My point exactly. This discussion is more about how bb10 handles open apps rather than a discussion about headless apps.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    08-06-14 03:00 PM
    Agreed. My point exactly. This discussion is more about how bb10 handles open apps rather than a discussion about headless apps.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.700
    It just makes things confusing and makes it difficult for people to quickly learn the OS.

"Oh by the way, the music app is headless, so make sure you actually closed it and it's not just paused and eating battery and memory."

Yeah that sounds like an silly way to do something :P Sorry guys, BlackBerry isn't going to do that...

Actually, that reminds me of the way multitasking worked in pre-BB10! You gotta make sure that the app is closed by going to the active apps list and what not.
    08-06-14 04:17 PM
    Alright, I admit that the active part of the Active Frames is pretty much useless, but I applaud BB10's ability to manage which apps are running. The thing is when I think it through I don't come up with a better method of managing apps.

For a security conscious platform I believe it is essential that running apps aren't concealed into a secondary menu of some sort. I want to know what's actively running on the phone, I want to know that apps that are allowed to run in the background (headless apps) are restricted to certain functions or are heavily scrutinized for malicious behavior, I want to know what's happening on my phone. I believe this is the foundation of any platform that claims to be security conscious and this line of thinking forms the basis of BB10. The user has no excuse for not knowing what is actively running on the phone and running apps that are not actively visible to the user are heavily restricted. Thus creating a situation where it becomes increasingly difficult to insert a virus or trojan onto the phone without the user seeing that it is running.

For me proper management of running apps is synonymous with security, keepings this in mind what are the alternatives?
    - You can make a list in place of the active frames, but that's just boring from a design point of view.
    - You could do icons, but they would blend into the other icons.
    - You could put an indicator on the actual app icon, but it's easy to miss a small indicator when trying to scan through all the apps.
    - And, anything that takes up extra screen space doesn't help when trying to efficiently utilize it all.

From a function and design point of view Active Frames makes sense, and the active part is just a nice bonus even though it is probably seldomly used.
    08-06-14 06:29 PM
    Ya'll do know that it simply doesn't close the active frame when the music app is the 8th app right? It just closes the 7th app instead

I personally don't see anything wrong with though as I never have that many apps open at once

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 08:31 PM
    My input here, I have a headphones, and since I've been on Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.700, my music app can be closed, but soon as I press the play button on the headphone cable, the music app opens up and starts playing. I believe that is somewhat headless.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 08:45 PM
    What's interesting is Android apps effectively run headless in the latest 10.3 build. The most surprising example is Waze. When you start a trip, the hub shows the Android widget in the hub. If you close the Waze frame, it keeps running in the background and gives you voice guidance. It doesn't end until you go to the hub and actually click close in the hub widget.

Posted via CB10
    endevour and LeeU1911 like this.
    08-06-14 09:26 PM
    Ya'll do know that it simply doesn't close the active frame when the music app is the 8th app right? It just closes the 7th app instead

I personally don't see anything wrong with though as I never have that many apps open at once

Posted via CB10
    One of the problems I face is I used to closing apps after I'm done with them, force of habit. When I close the music app, I have to reopen it a play the song which is inconvenient and annoying

Posted via CB10
    step07 likes this.
    08-06-14 09:58 PM
34 12