What's the deal with this? Sometimes when an Outlook user emails me a Word, PDF, or Excel file, it comes in as a "winmail.dat" file and I can't view it on my BlackBerry.

The attachments work just fine viewing on a computer, but not with the BlackBerry. This is lame. I realize that it might be with how Outlook is encoding the emails, but where I can view them just fine on a PC I see this as a RIM problem.

Anybody find a fix for this?
    06-09-09 08:10 PM
    Google searching winmail.dat Blackberry, will get you a lot of hits on the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 08:32 PM
    I am assuming you have outlook on your pc. Usually this winmail.dat issue is caused by the sender using outlook sends an attachment in RTF or HTML formats.

06-09-09 08:44 PM
    I am assuming you have outlook on your pc. Usually this winmail.dat issue is caused by the sender using outlook sends an attachment in RTF or HTML formats.

I do, but shoot- I can't be concerned with whether or not the person on the other end sending me something is using Outlook with RTF or HTML enabled. That's a crap shoot. Why can't RIM fix it so that our phones can view attachments from perhaps the most common email client in use around the globe?

Also, I can view these attachments just fine when checking with my Gmail account with a web browser outside of Outlook.
    06-09-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD