I have not called 911 from BB; and can honeslty sayy that wouldn't be a number I would want to call. But, its there. So I can't say much to this post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 01:53 AM
    I'll test this some day. It turns out that one of the new sections under my boss liaisons with 911 here. They'll set up a time where I can do a test call with 911 to test it out.
    02-08-10 10:43 PM
    For some users on different networks this may be a problem. If you are a customer that's on a CDMA network, ie, verizon, alltel, etc; as opposed to a GSM network,ie, AT&T your experience may vary. For those customers on a cdma network and you dial 911 and then can't place regular calls out. Your device has switched to GSM/UMTS mode and needs to be changed back because of this. If you go to options>>mobile network>>and change the network technology option back to 1XEV you will retain your voice features and then be able to place calls again.
    12-07-10 12:40 PM
    I bought a new car over the summer with a built in blue tooth hands free speaker system. I was trying to set it up but I had no idea what on earth I was doing...

I was trying to say "connect" "new connection" all the key words I could which would lead me somehow to a menu where I could set up a new phone...then all I heard was, "Calling 911". I had no idea how to stop it so I was screaming at it, and quickly hung up.

Then they called me back, and I had to try and explain that my cars bluetooth felt me setting up my phone to work was an emergency situation....
    12-07-10 02:06 PM
    For some users on different networks this may be a problem. If you are a customer that's on a CDMA network, ie, verizon, alltel, etc; as opposed to a GSM network,ie, AT&T your experience may vary. For those customers on a cdma network and you dial 911 and then can't place regular calls out. Your device has switched to GSM/UMTS mode and needs to be changed back because of this. If you go to options>>mobile network>>and change the network technology option back to 1XEV you will retain your voice features and then be able to place calls again.
    I called 911 on last Friday evening, no weird beeps/tones. Phone was in Emergency mode after the call ended. A quick reboot cleared it.
    12-07-10 02:12 PM
    It's probably the phone routing the call to the emergency services in your area. In CA, IIRC, all mobile 911 calls are first routed to the CHP.

Wireless 911 Services

The FCC’s wireless 911 rules apply to all wireless licensees, broadband Personal Communications Service (PCS) licensees, and certain Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) licensees. Here are the specific requirements.

Basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to:

transmit all 911 calls to a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider’s service or not.

Phase I Enhanced 911 (E911) rules require wireless service providers to:

within six minutes of a valid request by a PSAP, provide the PSAP with the telephone number of the originator of a wireless 911 call and the location of the cell site or base station transmitting the call.

Phase II E911 rules require wireless service providers to:

* within six minutes of a valid request by a PSAP, provide more precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to 300 meters depending on the type of technology used.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 12-07-10 at 02:22 PM.
    12-07-10 02:18 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD