I'm not sure if any of you have had to call 911 yet using a blackberry device, but there seems to be a major flaw in the idea behind RIM's emergency call system. I was almost run off the road by a semi truck so i called 911 to report it and when i pressed send there was an extremely loud series of tones that played before the call went out. For the situation i was in, this was not a problem, but what if you were being attacked. Like, if someone was in your house and you were hiding, when you call 911 you would give away your location. This seems like a very serious security risk. Has any one else experienced this?? Is there any way to turn this tone off? I find it very unsafe.
    03-03-09 07:24 PM
    Haven't HAD to call 911 but I HAVE accidentally called them while using the Lock function. Sucks having police show up at your job cause RIM allows this to happen by accidentally pressing the trackball in a couple times!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-09 07:31 PM
    That sucks man..
    03-03-09 08:05 PM
    I have an 8330 and have never had this problem. I have called 9-1-1 about 60 times over a 2 week period. (I work for 9-1-1 and I was testing our phone system)

03-03-09 08:09 PM
    I have an 8330 and have never had this problem. I have called 9-1-1 about 60 times over a 2 week period. (I work for 9-1-1 and I was testing our phone system)

I was a bit worried until I read the rest of your post. I have not called 911 on my BB, so I do not have anything to add to this thread at the moment.

03-03-09 08:13 PM
    My 4 year old daughter has called 911 a few times bu playing with a locked BB. The cops didn't see the humor in the situation.

03-03-09 08:24 PM
    I've almost done it thanks to the Storm's accelerometer. Go to push unlock and the screen changes portrait to landscape or vice versa. Next thing I know instead of highlighting unlock my finger is on emergency call. Thankfully a call has never gone through yet.
    How does a BB know what the emergency call should be? Is it provider based?

03-03-09 08:40 PM
    I have called 911 on both my Curve and my Storm. There wasn't a single problem on either one. Maybe you dialed the wrong number?
    03-03-09 08:42 PM
    My friend accidentally buttdialed them with his locked pearl. They left him a voicemail to call back if he needed help lol. Bright, huh?

03-03-09 08:44 PM
    Maybe it's the 911 in your area? Would that make a difference?
    03-03-09 08:45 PM
    @ chr1ssy, no it would not - unless the OP is in an area that does not have 9-1-1 service and those beeps where sending his call to a local regular line.

03-03-09 09:22 PM
    I turned off allow outgoing calls when locked and it prevents you from accidently dialing 911

03-03-09 09:23 PM
    My friend accidentally buttdialed them with his locked pearl. They left him a voicemail to call back if he needed help lol. Bright, huh?

EXACT same thing happened to me, except a friend was trying to unlock my phone and accidently hit Emergency Call

Five minutes later I had a voicemail from a woman at the local PD instructing me to call back if I needed help
    03-04-09 01:08 AM
    The series of beeps you heard was the phone going into emergency mode. It turns on your GPS locator for the enhanced 911 system. That way it provides your location to 911 if your unable to speak. I've had to use 911 in the past and my phone does the exact same thing. I also have dialed 911 from locked mode and ended up getting a voicemail from the sherrif's department, they were able to pin point my location to within 50 feet of where I was.

03-04-09 08:56 AM
    I've almost done it thanks to the Storm's accelerometer. Go to push unlock and the screen changes portrait to landscape or vice versa. Next thing I know instead of highlighting unlock my finger is on emergency call. Thankfully a call has never gone through yet.
    How does a BB know what the emergency call should be? Is it provider based?

The later version of the Storm OS (the leaks) have address the issue of emergency button, by changing it's placement.
    03-04-09 09:15 AM
    no i havent had to call it on my storm it was just on my pearl. when i called 911 there were very loud tones and the top of the screen said in red text emergency call. no one else had tones when you dial 911?? damn lol whats wrong with my phone..
    03-04-09 04:46 PM
    I have called 911. I don't remember beeps. I also never use lock. I always use stand-by.

03-04-09 04:53 PM
    An old LG flip we used to have would sound a siren when you dialed 911.
    03-04-09 05:31 PM
    I've had to call 911 several times from my bb and I don't remember any beeps. Doesn't mean they weren't there I wasn't really paying attention at the time haha.

03-04-09 05:47 PM

When the operator is able to easily tell that it was an unintentional mis-dial, and the person who owns the phone does not answer when the operator calls back, what exactly do expect them to do? Do you even realize how many of these types of calls a dispatch center gets hourly/daily?

Your "bright" comment is an insult to the people who do a highly demanding job with little to no thanks.
    03-04-09 08:22 PM
    Yea my little cousin has from my phone it sucks lol

02-07-10 05:49 PM
    I've called it several times on a Bold and a Curve in a couple of different states and never had any problems getting through or got beeps or weird sounds. Hmmm...
    02-07-10 06:17 PM
    I have used it and got one or two flags stating that I was initiating an emergency call or something like that and required a response and I threw it down and used the land line instead. I had forgotten about that until this thread.
    02-07-10 07:19 PM
    No I haven't, thankfully, but that was one feature that I hated on my VZW Curve. I never EVER locked the phone because I didn't want to accidentally call it. I love my Bold 9000...I can lock with no worries.

02-07-10 07:40 PM
    I often wondered what number the emergency feature actually calls?

For example, each country has a different number for emergency services. The US is 911 and the UK is 999. Incidentally, my voicemail is 901, which might be the emergency number in some other country!

So I just wondered.. if I have a US BlackBerry in the UK, will it call 911 or 999?

Edit: Looked it up and found its network dependent. The original poster's beeps might be from the carrier network(s) rather than the phone. Also, 112 is the internationally recognised emergency number and the one supported by most mobile phones.
    Last edited by flop; 02-07-10 at 08:58 PM.
    02-07-10 08:42 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD