I switched back to BB after 18 months with an iPhone (3gs and4) I picked up a sim free 9780 and have been very happy with the switch back, the only negative is that I now have to buy a standalone sat-nav again but that is another story.

I looked on with interest when the new handsets were announced and a week or 2 on I am wondering if one of the key reasons I switched back (battery life) has just become less compelling?

Assuming they are working properly all of the new handsets appear to have reasonable battery life and certainly better than an iPhone or Android, however they all look to be a step down from the 9780 which worries me and with the new QNX handsets coming I worry that this trend looks set to continue.
    08-26-11 03:28 AM
    Well remember that the devices are touch screens which use up more power not to mention the batteries are thinner with less power in them. So in a way they have lowered the bar to modernize their os and devices but I think many will agree with a slightly lower battery life (which is still better then most android phones) in order to have a phone that is on par with the modern phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 05:47 AM
    Well remember that the devices are touch screens which use up more power not to mention the batteries are thinner with less power in them. So in a way they have lowered the bar to modernize their os and devices but I think many will agree with a slightly lower battery life (which is still better then most android phones) in order to have a phone that is on par with the modern phones.
    With all due respect, this is unacceptable to me if that is indeed true. RIM's hallmarks have always been their battery life, BBM and keyboard. We were told that the new OS7 devices are more efficient than the previous OS's and can run with a smaller more advanced battery with the same battery life expectancy. I am confident if you poll BB users, the vast majority would have preferred a slightly thicker device in order to maintain battery life, this is critical to BB enthusiasts as evidenced by the numerous threads complaining about this issue.

It is unclear whether or not this is a hardware quality control issue or something that can be fixed in an OS upgrade. Not every user is experiencing the poor battery life. One user reported exchanging his 9930 solved the battery issue for him. If it is a quality control issue, it would be worthwhile to the community for each user to report the carrier they are on and the country of origin their BB was built in to see if there is a pattern.
    Last edited by DrewDT; 08-26-11 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
    08-26-11 05:58 AM
    Nowadays everyone has a car and offiice to always charge their devices. It charges super fast and the device works for a day so you are good.

08-26-11 09:14 AM
    I am one that would rather have a bigger battery even if it means a somewhat thicker Blackberry.

I find the decision to sacrifice battery life ( and auto focus) in order to have the "Thinnest blackberry ever" a troubling sign that Rim is now willing to sacrifice functionality for aesthetics.

If Rim continues in this trend of trying to please everyone they will end up pleasing no one.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-26-11 09:22 AM
    Nowadays everyone has a car and offiice to always charge their devices. It charges super fast and the device works for a day so you are good.

Many people do, not everyone. Especially thinking of people that are business users like myself that aren't always at my desk everyday. Sometimes the day requires travel, meetings, etc where it isn't always possible to tether your phone to external power for charging. Many people are finding the new Bold 9930 doesn't last a day and requires charging.
    08-26-11 10:21 AM
    Many people are finding the new Bold 9930 doesn't last a day and requires charging.
    Which begs the question..If RIM can't make a device that lasts a whole day with a 2.75" touchscreen..wth are they going to do with their rumoured 4" touchscreen devices?

Welcome to the modern era folks. Fast devices require lots of juice
    08-26-11 01:04 PM
    Have you considered a $30 portable charger that let's you charge your battery when you're away from your car or wall outlet.

08-26-11 02:40 PM
    Well remember that the devices are touch screens which use up more power not to mention the batteries are thinner ....
    That'll do it!
    08-26-11 02:51 PM
    Have you considered a $30 portable charger that let's you charge your battery when you're away from your car or wall outlet.
    I know you are just trying to find solutions to this issue and that is appreciated but it doesn't address the larger issue of how can a BlackBerry phone not be expected to last a full day and customers are left with having to carry around an extra battery, charger, etc. to do something we expect as a core competency from a BlackBerry phone. This is what we joke about with Android and iPhones not being able to last a day on a single charge.
    08-26-11 04:18 PM
    I can understand what RIM are doing but I think they should keep a 9780 style workhorse in their range. I was hopeful the new curve was that but probably not.

If I wanted sexy I would have kept the iphone.

08-27-11 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD