Other than the lack of permission settings why do people hate Android ports so much? (yes I'm aware native is way better). I've had android ports that work perfectly fine (timeplay for instance).

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 03:01 PM
    Other than the lack of permission settings why do people hate Android ports so much? (yes I'm aware native is way better). I've had android ports that work perfectly fine (timeplay for instance).

Posted via CB10
    For some, they don't work well or have the full functionality of the app. Also, since they aren't native, they don't take full advantage of OS10.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 03:03 PM
    It wouldn't be so much of a problem if they were properly ported but some of them are just horribly implemented on BB10. Additionally most of them don't run very smooth. It's even worse with sideloaded apps. I don't want to figure out if an app might run or not, and if it does, how stable it is. I just want to download a running app out of BlackBerry world. That's still a major problem with BlackBerry now.
    cgallaer likes this.
    06-09-14 03:17 PM
    I use Android ports, sideloaded Android apps and Snap Android apps. Some of the sideload ones don't work. I'm okay with the ones that do work.

I am glad that I have the option to try these apps, without actually using an Android phone.
    06-09-14 03:24 PM
    Because many of them just don't work and a lot of them suck the battery dry. Anytime someone has an issue with battery life the first question asked is: do you have any Android apps installed? If so, delete them. Regardless, a lot of them just plain suck and I've downloaded one before that I use regularly on Android and it completely F-d up my Z30 to where I had to wipe it and reload the OS.
    06-09-14 04:18 PM
    I would not automatically delete my Android apps UNLESS I was sure that was the source of battery drain.
    06-09-14 05:01 PM
    I've had only one or two that haven't worked. And none that I desperately wanted. It's a useful addition that we wouldn't otherwise have, so no hate from me.
    06-09-14 05:05 PM
    They don't seem to get updated as frequently as android apps via Snap or Amazon. Devs seem to port the app to BBW and then forget about it. I get my android apps from Snap and the only apps I get from BBW are native apps.

The android apps I use the most (Imgur, Tumblr, Instagram Google Translate and some industry specific apps) I got from Snap, and they work well on my Q10. Can't say the same of ports of apps I've downloaded from BBW.

I'm glad Snap's available, but it's a band aid at best. I don't think most are going to go through the trouble of sideloading it. I think BlackBerry should seriously consider baking a client like Snap (or Snap itself) into BBW, or turn over the app store to a company like Amazon and keep some kind of native app store for enterprise (so companies can load native, industry-specific apps on their phones).

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    06-09-14 06:42 PM
    To me some of them, Android ports, etc. seem slow to run...
    06-09-14 06:46 PM
    I find that apk that I install from the Web are hello slow to open
    Those android port on bb word are juste � bit faster to open

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 08:34 PM
    Try the new score sports app port. Its a bit laggy, and unable to deliver push notifications.
    06-09-14 08:38 PM