Technology can be a wonderful boon to humankind, but sometimes we abuse it in ways that prevent us from really participating in life. For example, I have a BlackBerry phone. My original thinking was that this would free me from my computer and allow me to stay connected. Yes, it does allow me to stay connected electronically, but it also makes me disconnected from what I should really be doing�being present.
    01-29-11 09:10 PM
    It is something I learned to separate myself from.
    I was very consumed in my BB when I got my first one years ago.
    With profiles like 'Phone Calls Only' and self discipline I am able to control my addiction/use.
    01-29-11 09:12 PM
    It has somewhat consumed my life haha. Just kidding I usually have my BB on me from 9-7 and then most of the time its on silent in a drawer that is checked about every hour or so
    01-29-11 09:13 PM
    i really need to get it together...my BB is glued to my hand most of the day...when i bought my first one i figured i may as well get the most use out of it that i can...now i use it for too many things...i'll get better one day...just not today
    01-29-11 10:19 PM
    No I don't think it's consumed my life. My BB is by my side everyday. It helps me stay in touch and has made me more productive and allows more free time.
    Last edited by princebb; 01-29-11 at 10:51 PM.
    01-29-11 10:40 PM
    it has not consumed my life, but it has given me benefits of being able to keep schedules and track things thru some apps I have installed. Bb can be a great tool or it can consume you, depending on how you control yourself would determine that. You need to learn to balance it out to keep from being sucked in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 10:40 AM
    I don't feel it has consumed my life, but it sure has improved it. It makes communication far easier. I have a phone book in my pocket, sports scores, weather and news. That is all I need. When I need something, I no longer have to run to my computer. It made things a lot easier.

As far as I can tell, there have been no negative impacts. But maybe this is just the addict in me, being blind to how it has destroyed my life. Ha!
    01-30-11 11:30 AM
    Na, I'm the one in control not my BlackBerry. At least that's what my BlackBerry tells me. ;p

sonofsam likes this.
    01-30-11 11:32 AM
    I use it a lot but dont feel naked without it.

01-30-11 09:04 PM
    Na, I'm the one in control not my BlackBerry. At least that's what my BlackBerry tells me. ;p

Fantastic! I love it!
    01-30-11 09:14 PM
    My first bb consumed my life I was constantly on my phone checking emails, texting and browsing the web for news on anything I could think about, once I got my 2nd bb and a gf I had to learn to balance my being on my bb, and being with my gf. I know some of you might be like dam this guy might be using his phone to much if he has to balance the 2 out but I was just really addicted to my bb lol

01-31-11 05:23 AM
    You know it has or I wouldn't be on here

01-31-11 05:50 AM
    It consumes me far more then I should allow it to.
    01-31-11 07:39 AM
    I'm always on my bb but It doesn't feel like it has consumed my life one bit. Sure I may be using it quite frequently, but its something that I used when I take a rest from life's stresses, and helped me become more productive when a laptop isn't around.

01-31-11 08:23 AM
    CrackBerry seems to have consumed a few lives!
    01-31-11 09:33 AM
    I am admittedly a Crackberry addict like most people on here, but sometimes it's nice to take a break from it and come back to it later...then it (almost) feels just as fresh as the day you first bought it.
    01-31-11 09:35 AM
    I never understood the idea of any technology consuming anyones life but then again I also believe that all addictions, regardless of type, are a matter of choice and by and large simply personal weakness (Flame away, it won't change my view)

My BlackBerry is a tool and as such is no more consuming than my bench saw.
    I use it when I need to. When I don't it simply does not register a thought.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-31-11 at 06:56 PM.
    01-31-11 12:33 PM
    I really don't understand how something that small would consume (as the OP put it) my life. I know this site and its name represent this addiction thing but I've always thought that people who rave about being attached/addicted to their Blackberry were stupid. But that's just my thought. I use things for how they work for me in my life. They're not humans.
    01-31-11 12:43 PM
    YES!!! I have haven't bathed in days, my cat died because I forgot to feed the damn thing, my wife left me, and its all because of this little sexy glowing thing with the touch screen and the sexy slide out keyboard and the sexy track pad (just in case I don't wanna us the sexy touchscreen).

01-31-11 01:58 PM
    I never understood the idea of any technology consuming anyones life but then again I also believe that all addictions, regardless of type, are a matter of choice and by and large simply personal weakness (Flame away, it won't change my view)

My BlackBerry is a tool and as such is no more consuming than my bench saw.
    I use it when I need to. When I don't it simply does not register a thought.
    Amen to that AG. Excellent point and I agree 110%.

01-31-11 07:24 PM
    Yes... Yes it has.

Next question please

01-31-11 07:33 PM
    YES!!! I have haven't bathed in days, my cat died because I forgot to feed the damn thing, my wife left me, and its all because of this little sexy glowing thing with the touch screen and the sexy slide out keyboard and the sexy track pad (just in case I don't wanna us the sexy touchscreen).

LOL This is funny! But I hope you're joking xD

I am always on my BB so yeah it's a pretty bad addiction. I have an application that tells me how long I spend on my phone in a day and on average it is about 8 hours. That's like a third of my goddam day!

01-31-11 08:12 PM
    I think it depends on your defintion of consumed. According to Merriam-Webster consumed can mean to spend wastefully (squander) or to enjoy avidly.

I enjoy my Blackberry. It has definitely made me more productive. But it is just a tool; a means to an end. I don't let it prevent me from spending quality time with family and friends, or keep me from doing the things that need to get done.
    01-31-11 09:45 PM
    I am on it way to much. I don't know why, I guess I always feel the need for some entertainment, rather it be here, checking FB, sports scores, BBMing, listening to music...

Wife hates it! Sometimes I need to realize it is just a phone after all...or is it?

I am sure it will be the death of something in my life.

01-31-11 10:29 PM
    LOL This is funny! But I hope you're joking xD

I am always on my BB so yeah it's a pretty bad addiction. I have an application that tells me how long I spend on my phone in a day and on average it is about 8 hours. That's like a third of my goddam day!

Well I lied about the cat being dead.

02-01-11 02:23 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD