The BBRY Q5 is not available online in India. Have they stopped producing those phones?
    Last edited by bbry89; 08-02-15 at 03:21 AM.
    08-02-15 02:26 AM
    Just bought one last night. Red. Australia, but free shipping from Hongkong...

Try there... :-)

www.shopbot.com.au

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    bbry89 likes this.
    08-02-15 02:57 AM
    Just bought one last night. Red. Australia, but free shipping from Hongkong...

Try there... :-)

www.shopbot.com.au

Another one Prem? Is that for you?

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-02-15 03:11 AM
    Is it safe to order from there? You got it shipped to India?
    08-02-15 03:23 AM
    Pretty sure they stopped making those a while ago. The stuff still for sale is left over.

Right now I think the only stuff still in production is the PassPort, Leap and Classic.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 11:06 AM
    I wish I could still buy a Q10 from BlackBerry. Oh well

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    08-02-15 01:27 PM
    Is it safe to order from there? You got it shipped to India?
    Shopbot points you to several shops, and I've bought from quite a few. You'd have to check with the individual shop to see whether they ship to India. Lots of phones you buy in Australia actually come shipped from Hongkong. So I'm sure you'd have a chance to find an importer to India...

Android Enjoyed, Valuebasket, PCCG, Warcom, ShoppingExpress, ShoppingSquare, Kogan, etc...

Last phone I bought on a Thursday 10pm, and I had it Monday morning. From Hongkong! Must have been expressed Friday asap via airmail, and I was impressed... :-D

DB_Cooper likes this.
    08-02-15 03:53 PM
    Another one Prem? Is that for you?

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    (OT?)

Actually, this one is for God.
    A real Jesus phone. Want to use it for Outreach ministry purposes with our local churches... :-D

(Helps that is has only 8GB, so no nonsense apps and games, haha!)

Why red?

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." -Isaiah 1:18 (Shared from e-Mmanuel for BB10)

08-02-15 03:58 PM
    Pretty sure they stopped making those a while ago. The stuff still for sale is left over.

Right now I think the only stuff still in production is the PassPort, Leap and Classic.

Posted via CB10
    I'd say so, too.
    Grab whatever is left. Anyone who still wants a cheap Q or Z30... :-)

08-02-15 03:59 PM
    The BBRY Q5 is not available online in India. Have they stopped producing those phones?
    They stopped producing Q5's in June of 2013. They've been selling the remaining stock ever since, but it wouldn't be surprising if they've finally run out.
    08-02-15 11:38 PM
    You do know that all BlackBerry 10 smartphones are available through Shop BlackBerry & Amazon etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 06:14 AM
    You do know that all BlackBerry 10 smartphones are available through Shop BlackBerry & Amazon etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    Must be out of Z10 and Q10 because they are not there, and only have white Q5 left. Z30 only in black. Maybe one day they will have an improved all touch device and not retreads on there. At least Chen has admitted his business only focus is wrong in recent interviews. Let's see took him 12 months to deliver the Classic, how long will it take to get a consumer focused device to market.

Posted via Z30
    08-03-15 07:29 AM
    If they're not, they should be. These phones are damn near 2 years old.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 09:09 AM
    They stopped producing Q5's in June of 2013
    Got a source for that?
    08-03-15 09:22 AM
    Got a source for that?
    Yes. It's called BlackBerry.

Those phones were manufactured by Jabil Circuit, and Jabil canceled BB's contract in October 2013 following production of the Z30, which at that time was the last device on BB'd production schedule (remember this was during the "sale").

There were a number of threads about the production windows of the various devices around that time here on CB (with links to financial reports and so forth). It's not like it's any kind of secret.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-03-15 10:08 AM
    One good thing about no word on the 10.4 or 64 Bit.... Gen 1 Devices will be seeing (depending on Carrier's) whatever updates there are coming for BB10. So really no devices are EOL.

But yes it is apparent that the GEN one devices are out of production at this time, and what you might find from some retailers is just old stock that is bouncing around.... heck you can still find PlayBooks that are brand new if you look. The only 1st Gen device that might still be in production is the Z30.... and I kinda doubt that it will be for long.
    08-03-15 10:42 AM
    Z10 production stopped long ago too. Can't find any remaining stock anywhere either.

Even AT&T no longer has refurbs.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 10:54 AM
    Z10 production stopped long ago too. Can't find any remaining stock anywhere either.

Even AT&T no longer has refurbs.

Posted via CB10
    End of production, yes. However all BB10 phones got the latest update so they have not reached their EOL yet. Once we hear that they will stop receiving updates, that will be the end. However, since the Classic (and arguably the Leap) were just released with similar specs, it's a good sign for people still using the first generation devices, as they will likely keep receiving updates alongside the newly released Classic.
    The only reason that they wouldn't is if BlackBerry decides not to 'just because' which is something that they COULD do. But I don't think they would. Loyalty is usually a two-way adherence.
    08-03-15 11:11 AM
    The only 1st Gen device that might still be in production is the Z30.... and I kinda doubt that it will be for long.
    As I mentioned earlier, the Z30 was the last Jabil Circuit-produced device, and had a single production run in Sept-Oct 2013.

I've talked about this in the past, but this kind of thing is normal in manufacturing: a sales figure is projected for a period of time (say, the first year of sales, for something like a smartphone that loses a lot of value in a short amount of time), and a number is reached, and a production run will be ordered based on that number. At the production factory, one or several production lines will be re-tooled to produce that device (re-tooling costs money and down-time, so every effort is made to minimize frequent retooling), and then that line will be run as close to full capacity as possible until the production order is completed. Then, the line(s) is/are re-tooled again for the next device.

In this hypothetical example, let's say 1 million devices were produced. Those devices are bagged and put in bulk boxes and shipped to a BB warehouse. BB will then gather orders for the device from all of their sales channels (say, 350k for the initial order), pull out that number of devices, load the current software on them, and put them in the current version of the retail packaging for that channel (bigger vendors often request custom packaging). Those orders are sent out to the distribution channels.

Let's say one of those channels is Verizon, and 50k of the phones are for Verizon. The phones will go to Verizon's warehouses (they probably have 3-4 across the US), where Verizon's retail stores (both corporate and franchise) and retail partners (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) can order from.

Going back to BB, this means BB is still sitting on 650k of unpackaged, unsold phones. If sales go well, then 2-3 months later, they'll get another similar-sized order from their channel partners and ship out another 350k phones. Perhaps these phones will be flashed with a newer version of the OS if one has been released, or come in updated packaging (which is why they aren't boxed up at the initial production factory).

After the first 6 months, demand for a particular smartphone model (virtually ANY smartphone) will have gone way down, as most sales for that model come in the first 6 months after release, so the remaining 300k phones from this production run are expected to last for the projected lifetime of the model. It may be that the last phones to be shipped to channel partners aren't flashed and boxed up until 2 years after the production run ended.

Now, not all of this applies to very in-demand products (the iPhone is a good example) - demand for the iPhone often exceeds supply during the first 6 months of its production, even with extra production lines working, and it may be continuously produced for up to 9 months (but usually not on as many production lines as during the initial month or two of production). Still, at some point, years before the last new phone is sold to an end-user, the production run ends and a supply of phones intended to last the life of the model is held in inventory, and doled out to channel partners as necessary. Meanwhile, those production lines are retooled to make some other device, because a factory can't have idle machines or workers, or it's losing money.

I've mentioned here before that, for example, when it comes to small-arms ammunition production, very popular calibers of ammo (9mm, .223 Rem, .308 Win) are in near-constant production, while ammo calibers with much lower sales (.32 ACP or .458 Winchester) may only be actually produced once every 5-10 years, and enough are made on a short production run to satisfy projected demand over the next 5-10 year period. Occasionally, this causes a problem, as a movie or news story will suddenly make a less-common caliber of ammo much more popular, and the supply of that ammo will quickly be sold out, and it might take upwards of a year before the ammo manufacturers can get that caliber moved up on the schedule and get ammo out to stores again.

But, overall, it's very rare for items with a fairly short shelf-life to be produced until the sales of that product ended - it's much too inefficient to run a factory that way. Instead, things are produced at full capacity for a short time until they've made enough of them to satisfy the total projected sales of that item, and then the factory moves on to something else.
    08-03-15 12:57 PM
    ....... I've talked about this in the past, but this kind of thing is normal in manufacturing: a sales figure is projected ........
    Thanks for another excellent explanation (far more elegantly written than I could manage).
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-03-15 01:18 PM
    Yes. It's called BlackBerry.
    Great. Let's see a link.

When it comes to you and the stuff you pass off as "fact", I'd like to see some meat. Because more than once, i've seen you pass off your personal speculation or an analysts speculation as though you were in charge of production at BlackBerry and had their production logs at your fingertips.

I know full well you "stretch" the truth. A lot
    08-03-15 03:06 PM
    As I mentioned earlier, the Z30 was the last Jabil Circuit-produced device, and had a single production run in Sept-Oct 2013.

I've talked about this in the past, but this kind of thing is normal in manufacturing: a sales figure is projected for a period of time (say, the first year of sales, for something like a smartphone that loses a lot of value in a short amount of time), and a number is reached, and a production run will be ordered based on that number. At the production factory, one or several production lines will be re-tooled to produce that device (re-tooling costs money and down-time, so every effort is made to minimize frequent retooling), and then that line will be run as close to full capacity as possible until the production order is completed. Then, the line(s) is/are re-tooled again for the next device.

In this hypothetical example, let's say 1 million devices were produced. Those devices are bagged and put in bulk boxes and shipped to a BB warehouse. BB will then gather orders for the device from all of their sales channels (say, 350k for the initial order), pull out that number of devices, load the current software on them, and put them in the current version of the retail packaging for that channel (bigger vendors often request custom packaging). Those orders are sent out to the distribution channels.

Let's say one of those channels is Verizon, and 50k of the phones are for Verizon. The phones will go to Verizon's warehouses (they probably have 3-4 across the US), where Verizon's retail stores (both corporate and franchise) and retail partners (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) can order from.

Going back to BB, this means BB is still sitting on 650k of unpackaged, unsold phones. If sales go well, then 2-3 months later, they'll get another similar-sized order from their channel partners and ship out another 350k phones. Perhaps these phones will be flashed with a newer version of the OS if one has been released, or come in updated packaging (which is why they aren't boxed up at the initial production factory).

After the first 6 months, demand for a particular smartphone model (virtually ANY smartphone) will have gone way down, as most sales for that model come in the first 6 months after release, so the remaining 300k phones from this production run are expected to last for the projected lifetime of the model. It may be that the last phones to be shipped to channel partners aren't flashed and boxed up until 2 years after the production run ended.

Now, not all of this applies to very in-demand products (the iPhone is a good example) - demand for the iPhone often exceeds supply during the first 6 months of its production, even with extra production lines working, and it may be continuously produced for up to 9 months (but usually not on as many production lines as during the initial month or two of production). Still, at some point, years before the last new phone is sold to an end-user, the production run ends and a supply of phones intended to last the life of the model is held in inventory, and doled out to channel partners as necessary. Meanwhile, those production lines are retooled to make some other device, because a factory can't have idle machines or workers, or it's losing money.

I've mentioned here before that, for example, when it comes to small-arms ammunition production, very popular calibers of ammo (9mm, .223 Rem, .308 Win) are in near-constant production, while ammo calibers with much lower sales (.32 ACP or .458 Winchester) may only be actually produced once every 5-10 years, and enough are made on a short production run to satisfy projected demand over the next 5-10 year period. Occasionally, this causes a problem, as a movie or news story will suddenly make a less-common caliber of ammo much more popular, and the supply of that ammo will quickly be sold out, and it might take upwards of a year before the ammo manufacturers can get that caliber moved up on the schedule and get ammo out to stores again.

But, overall, it's very rare for items with a fairly short shelf-life to be produced until the sales of that product ended - it's much too inefficient to run a factory that way. Instead, things are produced at full capacity for a short time until they've made enough of them to satisfy the total projected sales of that item, and then the factory moves on to something else.
    Thanks Troy. Excellent post and well written.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-03-15 03:30 PM
    Great. Let's see a link.

When it comes to you and the stuff you pass off as "fact", I'd like to see some meat. Because more than once, i've seen you pass off your personal speculation or an analysts speculation as though you were in charge of production at BlackBerry and had their production logs at your fingertips.

I know full well you "stretch" the truth. A lot
    I'm not going to bother. You can do the same searches I can do, right here on CB, and find the same data. And you can Google outside sources just as easily. Try "blackberry jabil circuit 2013" and I'm sure you'll find what you want. There are plenty of people here who saw that information when it was first released who could verify it. But I'm not here to impress you, or do your work for you. If you choose not to believe me, be my guest. It won't hurt my feelings.
    08-03-15 04:36 PM
    finally
    08-03-15 04:54 PM
    I wish I could still buy a Q10 from BlackBerry. Oh well

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    Groupon has q10 for 299 cad.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 05:13 PM
29 12