I don't think bbm was really selling point for bb10, with other sufficient IM platforms around (if you really wanted security, you already had a bb). So cross platform seems like the best way to promote BlackBerry with bbm, and the demand wad there obviously.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:54 AM
    I've read the CP complaints, but fortunately my Android and IOS acquaintances have no issues at all. In fact, my brother and I BBM Voice long distance all the time. We are amazed at how his IPhone4 can actually get great reception in the hospital he works in now.
    One negative I noticed when setting up a friend's Samsung was the lack of the dark theme option. I was showing him Channels and it looked it really struck me how terrible it looked in white. Really hope they add this option immediately.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    07-27-14 03:14 AM
    Then stick to email, which most everyone has. End of story.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    This is what coachbulldog said "...with the upcoming school year, I'm going to use BBM as the only way students-parents can communicate with me outside of email."

He's talking about "outside of email". That's what we are talking about here.

End of story? Once again, not really.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 07:48 AM
    Yeah... school business means school-provided (recordable) means of communication as the first option.

But with regards to messaging services, what if a parent or kid doesn't have a smartphone, or uses a computer for communication?

OT ruminations...
    See my above post.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 07:49 AM
    I agree. It's like people are trying way to hard to get others to use BBM. Lol they don't even need to say it. It shows. Like u said, stocking to email is the better way. No one wants to download a messenger for one teacher. I could see if it was a school-wide thing mayb

Posted via CB10
    See my above 2 posts.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 07:50 AM
    See my above post.

Posted via CB10
    Fair point. I missed that. So BBM is above and beyond the standard.
    07-27-14 08:36 AM
    I didn't like BBM going cross platform either. But if BBM didn't go cross platform, BlackBerry wouldn't have BBM protect to offer the enterprise world. They also wouldn't have the best enterprise services. It's something that I hate as well, but it was a necessary move in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 08:46 AM
    This is what coachbulldog said "...with the upcoming school year, I'm going to use BBM as the only way students-parents can communicate with me outside of email."

He's talking about "outside of email". That's what we are talking about here.

End of story? Once again, not really.

Posted via CB10
    It still makes about as much as saying outside of email I'm going to use smoke signals as the only way parents can reach me. I could care less but I just thought it was a little strange.

JeepBB likes this.
    07-27-14 09:06 AM
    For the Enterprise world BBM cross platform was essential for the BYOD crowd. With eBBM on the horizon I see it as a real wedge into the workplace secure communication space.

I am utilizing it now as I have made it the standard communication tool with all the various teams in the field starting with a Hub channel for global messaging down to local ground level group messaging. All this while being device agnostic and staying away from SMS. All are kept fully informed on what the other teams are doing and makes it simple for target messaging.

I simply love it!
    07-27-14 09:38 AM
    For the Enterprise world BBM cross platform was essential for the BYOD crowd. With eBBM on the horizon I see it as a real wedge into the workplace secure communication space.

I am utilizing it now as I have made it the standard communication tool with all the various teams in the field starting with a Hub channel for global messaging down to local ground level group messaging. All this while being device agnostic and staying away from SMS. All are kept fully informed on what the other teams are doing and makes it simple for target messaging.

I simply love it!
    I think this is a perfect example of putting it to good use.

Rello and stealthbob like this.
    07-27-14 09:40 AM
    See my above 2 posts.

Posted via CB10
    I personally still struggle to see why someone would want to download one app for one teacher when most likely they are going to call a mobile/office number for every other teacher

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 10:47 AM
    It still makes about as much as saying outside of email I'm going to use smoke signals as the only way parents can reach me. I could care less but I just thought it was a little strange.

Which goes back to my initial reply. As a teacher, you would know what you are up against with parents and possibly interacting with your students. If a teacher gives out their personal number outside of their email and office telephone number, you are subject to phone calls outside of working hours. I wouldn't want to be bombarded by calls (especially with irrational parents) while I'm trying to help my own children as a parent with their homework. Teachers have personal lives too. Right?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 11:07 AM

My plan is not to do away with email but to find a way for my students and parents to communicate with me where I can respond in a more timely manner. I see BBM for outside of school hours use for assistance with homework or to answer quick questions relates to the class. If parents or students don't want to take advantage of it so be it. I will still answer email as I do now; within 24 hours of receiving and during school hours.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    07-27-14 11:10 AM
    I like the fact that it's cross platform. My kids aren't always with me and I can only afford to pay for one phone shared by two daughters. At 13-14 that doesn't work like it used to. My younger daughter just pretty much doesn't have a phone when they are at their mothers at this point. What she does have is an I pad. I can talk to her on bbm even when she doesn't have a phone close.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 11:15 AM
    I personally still struggle to see why someone would want to download one app for one teacher when most likely they are going to call a mobile/office number for every other teacher

Posted via CB10
    We are talking about outside of normal working hours - when they are outside of the office. See my above posts for further context please.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 11:21 AM
    The opinion I have is that they should have a standard bbm for "cp" and on the bb you have access to more features etc...
    07-27-14 11:44 AM
    Trolololo.

Indeed. It was a good idea going cross platform.

But as stated before. This move should have been done when BlackBerry was BIG TIME.

Someone made a long and good article or comment. BlackBerry in its heydays with Lazardis and Co. were very arrogant. But that is another story.

Problem really is, mist of my contacts are using whatsCrap. It's pathetic. I have just two BBM contacts. But BBM is way better than whatsUp.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 12:03 PM
    If they didn't BBM would've become as irrelevant as people now think their handsets are.

It was a good move to separate the two and hedge their bets.

The most one can hope for with BBM is positive rebuilding of the BlackBerry brand in consumers eyes.

It will never and should never go back to exclusivity.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 01:40 PM
    10,000 is a pretty ignorable number for all but the smallest players in the messaging market. I think they waited way too long to get it there - just my opinion. I'm aware it's a beta, but Windows Phone users are quite used to consuming Betas at this point (it's how many platforms introduce their apps to Windows Phone these days - even the likes of Instagram and others).

Did BBM Cross Platform screw Blackberry? No, because a messaging service simply isn't enough to sell a platform and unlike Apple/Google/Microsoft who also have their own 1st party Messaging Services on their platforms they actually have a lot of other critical ecosystem components that Blackberry does not have at this time (never mind the cross-device/form factor interoperability advantage of their messaging solutions).

I think going Cross Platform with BBM was a good choice that came a bit too late. There *is* potential to monetize this. It's just that the potential is much less because they got in a bit late, after the market became overstuffed with competing messaging services.

If they had done this in 2010, it could have been HUUUGE.
    07-27-14 02:05 PM
    There are a few problems with your theory�

1. iMessage is an APP, and therefore can not be compared to iMessage, which is just a protocol
    iMessage is a service (and many services use their own protocols, so that's not really anything worth mentioning). It's integrated into the standard SMS/MMS app on iOS. The App came first, the service came later and was bolted on/integrated into it. There is no iMessage "App" on iOS.

2. BBM as a stand alone app has already started monetizing off of its Cross Platformness (yes I made up a word) i.e stickers, eBBM, etc. and eventually through channels
    The issue with monetizing isn't whether it's possible (we all know it is), but how much they can make off of it. To give themselves the greatest potential revenue stream, they need hoards of users that are willing to stay on the platform - they need dedicated users, not merely curious users. Someone who barely uses the app or is on the fence about it is not going to spend money on it.

eBBM doesn't matter if someone doesn't buy a Blackberry.

Stickers don't matter if someone isn't sure they're going to use this app heavily. They won't waste money on something they aren't dedicated to, especially not in emerging markets where people have much less disposable income.

Channels don't matter if someone isn't dedicated to the service. If they barely use the Messaging App, chances of them using Channels decreases a lot because they won't be going into the app that much, if at all, anyways. They need to get engagement up, and the only way to do that in a messaging app is to get hoards of users, so that people have more people they know using it to make them use it more. No one is going to replace Twitter or Facebook with Channels, for obvious reasons.

3. And also, the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. People don't buy blackberry for BBM anymore than a person not buying blackberry because its Cross Platform�.
    Correct, BBM stopped being a selling point back in 2010 when people discovered WhatsApp and they put their app everywhere. Also, push messaging (IM clients that didn't destroy batteries, etc.), push notifications, etc. became pretty standard affair. Back in the day, these were clutch advantages for Blackberry as a platform.

4. BBM not going Cross Platform would be dumb, if I have a blackberry and want to free message and set up a community with my friends, I would have to get whatsapp and Groupme etc. So actually, Blackberry lost money waiting so long to make it cross platform because whatsapp and the likes were able to capitalize on a market that BBM would have dominated�
    Before WhatsApp and GroupMe there was WLM, Yahoo! Messenger, and AOL Instant Messenger. It was always possible. A lot of the draw to BBM came from the fact that it was actually seen as a cool, semi-exclusive service and back then Blackberry devices enjoyed positioning similar to the iPhone does today (people talk about iMessage similarly to the way people used to talk about BBM, even!). They were seen as Premium Devices and Premium Services.

That's all been commoditized these days.

I agree with the gist, just not the explanation. There was never a shortage of Instant Messaging and ways to keep in touch with friends, and BBM didn't come about until like 2005 or 2006. By then quite a few people already had smartphones and they messaged just fine (both SMS/MMS and IM).
    07-27-14 02:14 PM
    Let me put it this way to you, I don't have what's app or any other messenger system ,except for imessage ,which I never use, of the 2100+.+. Contacts on my device if they don't have or get BBM , they just can't contact me, as I don't use sms either.

Posted via CB10

And I'll take my million or so dollar project to someone else...
    07-27-14 02:22 PM
    And I'll take my million or so dollar project to someone else...
    More like the reverse in my case . I don't pursue, I am pursued. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 07-27-14 at 03:05 PM.
    07-27-14 02:24 PM
    My plan is not to do away with email but to find a way for my students and parents to communicate with me where I can respond in a more timely manner. I see BBM for outside of school hours use for assistance with homework or to answer quick questions relates to the class. If parents or students don't want to take advantage of it so be it. I will still answer email as I do now; within 24 hours of receiving and during school hours.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    I understand.

Posted with my Q
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-27-14 02:26 PM
    BBM should go to desktop. Immediately.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-27-14 03:16 PM
    Console xD
    07-27-14 03:56 PM
77 1234