Calling all Z10 owners has this BlackBerry lived up to all the pre-release hype? I'm just about to venture into to buying one, but before I part with my cash I wanted the options of current Z10 owners.
    02-15-13 06:33 AM
    Does anything, ever, live up to the hype?
    02-15-13 06:45 AM
    There are already many posts here in the forum of people giving their experience with the Z10. Just take a look around.
    02-15-13 06:48 AM
    Sadly no it hasn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-15-13 06:55 AM
    Sadly no it hasn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You could a least state why it hasn't for you.
    02-15-13 06:58 AM
    Does anything, ever, live up to the hype?
    Girls? ...at times

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 07:00 AM
    Girls? ...at times
    Good point.
    guinnkevinr and adjdudley21 like this.
    02-15-13 07:04 AM
    i dont have it yet, but i am sad over the lack of customisable led like in 7.1 and the bridge feature.
    hopefully that will all be non issues in a few months.
    other then that i am more then pleased when i get to use one.

apps are a bit of a letdown, but only because they overhyped it.
    which is a shame because the app selection isnt terrible. its pretty damn good, but people were led to expect more

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 07:35 AM
    It was so overhyped (on this site) by so many that it couldn't possibly live up to the expectations.
    It's a phone. Not a game changing, revolutionary device. It's the best BlackBerry ever. But they hype was so overwhelming that it would be impossible to match it.
    02-15-13 07:38 AM
    I DO have it, and it has met my expectations. Having followed the development of the OS and phone, and being an early adoptor of the PlayBook, I guess my expectations were realistic.

I didn't think the keyboard would be so good, and I didn't think it should be so fast. So in a way it has exceeded my expectations over the last week.

I find myself trying to "Flick" words up on the playbook keyboard ...to me that is a really good sign.

Last edited by allhookedup; 02-15-13 at 09:21 AM.
    02-15-13 07:46 AM
    It's a great phone to me. The HUB, peek and flow definitely works for me... guess I am in the market segment they are targeting at. The keyboard is fantastic, the browser is super fast and no comparison at the moment. Those are the major features they advertised and indeed delivered.

But I have to mention the understated Remember app, the integration between notes from my work email and evernote provided a unique one app note/task solution to separate between work and private and it's seemless.

The battery life was not good in the beginning but I do notice the improvement after a few battery pulls. Now it can last a day no problem. But it was never going to be a problem for me anyway because I am used to charge my phone in office and home.

The camera optics is a little letdown though. The time shift, shutter speed, etc. are great, but the picture is a little dark. Not a deal breaker for me but could be for you.

Between BlackBerry world and side loading, I don't feel apps are lacking, but at the same time I don't use lots of apps. So definitely check if the apps you need are here or not.

There are a few glitches here and there but nothing I couldn't handle. If you are from a trouble free phone experience and/or are not so good at technology stuff, you might find it annoying in the beginning. But since you find this site, you will pass that phase pretty quick. One thing to warn you though, there are people on this forum just can't take any criticism on blackberry so if you are asking for help, you might need to ignore some of the posts. Again those are minor annoyances, they don't really own CrackBerry, Kevin does.
    02-15-13 08:09 AM
    So in a way it has exceeded my expecting over the last week.
    Same here.
    02-15-13 08:12 AM
    What? BB has a new phone????

Where??

No new phones here.

So no. It hasn't

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    02-15-13 08:15 AM
    I would say wait for the first update for the OS before you start judgeing it to hard. But we also had this pushed back from October. I'm thinking that a lot of the problems will be cleaned up after that first OS update. Then we can really hit it hard!
    phylez likes this.
    02-15-13 08:21 AM
    I would say wait for the first update for the OS before you start judgeing it to hard. But we also had this pushed back from October. I'm thinking that a lot of the problems will be cleaned up after that first OS update. Then we can really hit it hard!
    i would say even after a few updates.
    its a new os, and there is bound to be a few teething problems even with the first update.

phylez likes this.
    02-15-13 08:23 AM
    When they fix the most basic things like the Calendar (adding Participants, accepting Meeting Invites) and non read only for standard gmail users...I think then it is a good tablet.

Right now, it seems like when I picked up the PB on day one. A very nice beta device.
    02-15-13 09:59 AM
    Hasn't had a chance to yet.
    02-15-13 10:01 AM
    I don't think so, but nothing rarely does. They said they were focusing on BlackBerry People before it launched to set expectations if it didn't sell well to non-BlackBerry people, but it is clear that with some pretty basic BlackBerry functions missing or crippled from the Z10, that we were not the focus. Also the typical "It's coming" on some key apps that we've heard with the PlayBook too. Hopefully by the US launch they'll have some of it sorted out.
    tack likes this.
    02-15-13 10:08 AM
    It has lived up to my expectations. I'm very satisfied.

Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-15-13 10:12 AM
    Z10 is a solid device - hype or not.

I have trouble imagining a someone who's used a Blackberry saying that this isn't the best Blackberry made yet. I also have trouble seeing your average phone consumer saying that this offering isn't compelling product within the smartphone marketplace: It's a very good device.

However, I _do_ have trouble seeing anyone entrenched on the iOS or Android platform saying that this offering is compelling for them to switch. But that would be similar for anyone going iOS-to-Android or Android-to-iOS: switching devices isn't compelling to them either given their own personal entrenchment into that environment. Can you blame them?
    kevinnugent, JeepBB and jakie55 like this.
    02-15-13 10:31 AM
    Z10 is a solid device - hype or not.

I have trouble imagining a someone who's used a Blackberry saying that this isn't the best Blackberry made yet. I also have trouble seeing your average phone consumer saying that this offering isn't compelling product within the smartphone marketplace: It's a very good device.

However, I _do_ have trouble seeing anyone entrenched on the iOS or Android platform saying that this offering is compelling for them to switch. But that would be similar for anyone going iOS-to-Android or Android-to-iOS: switching devices isn't compelling to them either given their own personal entrenchment into that environment. Can you blame them?
    atm i see 7.1 & 10 as equal. but as 10 gets more 7.1 features then it will become the best bb yet.

02-15-13 10:42 AM
    I have had mine for 2 days and I absolutely love it! It is slick and the os is really simple to navigate. Big plus points are the browser, the tenacious wi-fi connection (far better than the 9900), the multi-tasking and the hub. The Twitter and facebook apps seem to work better too.
    A friend who is an Android user was seriously impressed. BlackBerry have got this one right - it is brilliant!
    02-15-13 11:19 AM
    I'd like to see one somewhere and play around with it for a few minutes. I'm open in all directions at this point. Have been a customer of T-mobile since the beginning and my old BB is slowly dying. So I need a replacement and I want one that leaves a lot of things like they are (reliable and easy to manage push mail being one), while I need other things to improve. The browser on my Bold with OS7 has become pretty much useless in that it crashes constantly as soon as web pages have a bit more complex content. Then the calendar support for my google calendar stopped working and I need an alternative to sync with my desktop calendar (Thunderbird mail).

So if the browser works better and I find a calendar solution I'd really like to stick to BB - preferably the Q10 if it materializes for T-mobile in one way or another. The Z10 looks big and clunky (slightly worse then the iPhone 5 which I returned) so I doubt it'll live up to the hype for me. The other question about the OS10 versions is to what extent it can be customized. There seems to be a bunch of stuff that just would need to go. "Hub" and "peeking"? No, make that go away. I don't want work emails, text messages and FB notifications in one place. I want a handfull of icons for that on the home screen and the 2-3 "apps" that are useful to me (browser, calendar, GPS, stock market tracker, camera - everything else can go bye bye).

Based on that I'll decide if this works or if I'll still have to buy the dreaded iphone and then see how Apple's stupid cloud service can be tweaked to work with my servers.
    02-15-13 11:48 AM
    atm i see 7.1 & 10 as equal. but as 10 gets more 7.1 features then it will become the best bb yet.

No one who already has BB10 would say this. You already admitted you don't so it's ok
    I understand your point but even lacking a few features, BB10 blows every prior BBOS away.
    02-15-13 12:01 PM
    I've had my Z10 since Monday 4th Feb. Coming from a Storm 1 I was always going to be easy to please, even though my two PlayBooks have given me a taster of what BB10 might be like. But having been checking Crackberry every day for much of the past four years, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect (ie more of the same erratic design ethic that foisted the Storm on me, poor marketing of the PlayBook, slow os updates, and a feeling that whatever RIM/BlackBerry tried,. they would always be one step or two behind Apple and Android. Yes, the hype did excite me, and excites me still, but I was steeling myself to be seriously let down even though my nature is to be an eternal optimist.

Well, I was wrong. Totally wrong. The Z10 has blown me away. Sure, it's not perfect, and coming from an old os to something totally new is always a daunting prospect. There have been some annoyances such as the lack of USB to BB Link syncing connectivity for Contacts. I'm still trying to figure out how to add a new phone number that just called me to my Contacts instead of unwittingly calling them back. The loss of full Bridge functionality with my PlayBook has left me bereft, only consoled by the realisation that I only needed it so much because the Storm typing and browsing was so poor. The first iteration, and the second, and the third of any new device is always going to have some bugs and flaws, but I haven't found any yet, and I know that they will get eliminated as time goes by. Things can only get even better.

So yes, the Z10 has met my expectations and more, even if it hasn't lived up to the hype. No new device ever can if people get wildly excited about it beyond realistic expectations. Nevertheless, in my 11 days of using it, the Z10 is in my view an absolutely fabulous device. It was love at first sight, and my love is getting stronger by the day, whereas much as I appreciated what my Storm could do for me compared with my old Nokia 6110, it was always a case of having to learn to live with it. I have no such problems with the Z10.
    cjcampbell, Vorkosigan and jakie55 like this.
    02-15-13 12:48 PM
84 123 ...